Ejecta–megaregolith accumulation on planetesimals and large asteroids
Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2011
© The Meteoritical Society, 2011
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 46, Issue 1, pages 53–78, January 2011
How to Cite
WARREN, P. H. (2011), Ejecta–megaregolith accumulation on planetesimals and large asteroids. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 46: 53–78. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01138.x
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2011
- (Received 27 January 2010; revision accepted 25 September 2010)
- 1979. Sintering of loosely packed metal powder. In Sintering: New developments, edited by RisticM. M. New York: Elsevier. pp. 67–75. and
- 1998. Regolith and megaregolith formation of H-chondrites: Thermal constraints on the parent body. Icarus 132:185–195. , , and
- 1979. Influence of the structure, pressing, atmosphere and doping on the sintering of spherical particles of titanium dioxide. In Sintering: New developments, edited by RisticM. M. New York: Elsevier. pp. 150–159. , , , , and
- 2003. A test of Maxwell’s Z model using inverse modeling (abstract #1762). 34th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 1997. Impact origin of the Vesta family. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 32:965–980.
- 2008. Critical crater diameter and asteroid impact seismology. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43:1075–1084.
- 2009. Growth and evolution of asteroids. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 37:413–448.
- 2004. Subsidence breccias in kimberlite pipes—An application of fractal analysis. Lithos 76:299–316.
- 2007. Collision and impact simulations including porosity. In Near earth objects, our celestial neighbors: Opportunity and risk. Proceedings, I.A.U. Symposium No. 236, edited by MilaniA., ValsecchiG. B., and VokrouhlickyD. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. pp. 223–232. and
- 1991. Cataclasis and processes of particle size reduction. Pure and Applied Geophysics 136:59–86.
- 2005a. The fossilized size distribution of the main asteroid belt. Icarus 175:111–140. , , , , , , and
- 2005b. Linking the collisional history of the main asteroid belt to its dynamical excitation and depletion. Icarus 179:63–94. , , , , , , and
- 2006. The action of water. In Meteorites and the early solar system II, edited by LaurettaD. S. and McSweenH. Y.Jr. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 584–624.
- 2002. Asteroid density, porosity, and structure. In Asteroids III, edited by BottkeW. F., CellinoA., PaolicchiP., and BinzelR. P. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 485–500. , , , and
- 1991. Physical properties of the lunar surface. In Lunar sourcebook, A user’s guide to the Moon, edited by HeikenG. H., VanimanD. T., and FrenchB. M. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. pp. 475–594. , , and
- 1959. Conduction of heat in solids. New York: Oxford University Press. 510 p. and
- 2002. Impact history of Eros: Craters and boulders. Icarus 155:104–118. , , , , , and
- 2009. The thermal evolution of post-impact planetesimals (abstract #1086). 40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 1995. Block distributions on the lunar surface: A comparison between measurements obtained from surface and orbital photography. NASA Johnson Space Center Technical Memorandum 104804, 46 pp. and
- 1978. Characteristics of the cratering process on small satellites and asteroids. Proceedings, 9th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 3803–3831. , , and
- 1979. The nature and effects of impact cratering on small bodies. In Asteroids, edited by GehrelsT. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 579–600. , , and
- 1982. Interfacial energies in the olivine-basalt system. Geophysics 12:217–228. and
- 1980. Cratering flow fields: Implications for the excavation and transient expansion stages of crater formation. Proceedings, 11th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2347–2378.
- 1973. Viscous flow and crystallization behavior of selected lunar compositions. Proceedings, 4th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 2685–2696. , , , , and
- 1969. Collisional models of asteroids and their debris. Journal of Geophysical Research 74:2531–2554.
- 2007. Diffusion creep of dry, melt-free olivine. Journal of Geophysical Research 112:B04204. and
- 1996. Erosion and ejecta reaccretion on 243 Ida and its Moon. Icarus 120:140–157. , , , , , and
- 1996. Sintering theory and practice. New York: Wiley. 550 pp.
- 1998. A thermal model for the differentiation of asteroid 4 Vesta, based on radiogenic heating. Icarus 134:187–206. and
- 1979. Structural analysis of lunar grabens and the shallow crustal structure of the Moon. Journal of Geophysical Research 84:4657–4666.
- 1989. Water and the thermal evolution of carbonaceous chondrite parent bodies. Icarus 82:244–280. and
- 2009. Hydrocode modeling of the South Pole Aitken basin-forming impact (abstract #1455). 40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 1973. Ancient lunar mega-regolith and sub-surface structure. Icarus 18:634–636.
- 2003. On estimating the contributions of basin ejecta to regolith deposits at lunar sites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:13–33. , , and
- 1976. The significance of substrate characteristics in determining morphology and morphometry of lunar craters. Proceedings, 7th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 2913–2929.
- 2006. A model for planetesimal meltdown by 26Al and its implications for meteorite parent bodies. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41:95–106. and
- 1999. Mantle values of thermal conductivity and the geotherm from photon lifetimes. Science 283:1699–1706.
- 2005. Dependence of diffusive radiative transfer on grain-size, temperature, and Fe-content: Implications for mantle processes. Journal of Geodynamics 40:51–72.
- 1993. The scaling of impact processes in planetary sciences. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 21:333–373.
- 2003. Theory and equations for “Craters from Impacts and Explosions.” St. Louis, MO: Washington University. 9 p. http://keith.aa.washington.edu/craterdata/scaling/index.htm. Accessed November 20, 2010.
- 1976. Thermal diffusivity of four Apollo 17 rock samples. Proceedings, 7th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 3183–3204. and
- 1980. Thermal diffusivity of two Apollo 11 samples, 10020,44 and 10065,23: Effect of petrofabrics on the thermal conductivity of porous lunar rocks under vacuum. Proceedings, 11th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 1777–1788. and
- 2003. Impact cratering on porous asteroids. Icarus 163:102–119. and
- 1982. Regoliths on small bodies in the solar system. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 10:355–376. and
- 1979. Asteroidal regoliths. Icarus 39:317–352. , , , and
- 1983. Crater ejecta scaling laws: Fundamental forms based on dimensional analysis. Journal of Geophysical Research 88:2485–2499. , , and
- 1999. Compaction as the origin of the unusual craters on asteroid Mathilde. Nature 402:155–157. , , and
- 2005. Sintering: Densification, grain growth & microstructure. Amsterdam: Elsevier. 265 p.
- 1986. Rheology of synthetic olivine aggregates: Influence of grain size and water. Journal of Geophysical Research 91:8151–8176. , , and
- 2003. Quantified mineralogical evidence for a common origin of 1929 Kollaa with 4 Vesta and the HED meteorites. Icarus 165:215–218. , , , and
- 1976. Revised lunar heat-flow values. Proceedings, 7th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 3143–3171. , , and
- 1996. Ejecta blocks on 243 Ida and on other asteroids. Icarus 120:87–105. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Impact cratering and the break up of small bodies of the solar system. Icarus 195:817–826. , , and
- 1977. Simple Z modeling of cratering, ejection, and the overturned flap. In Impact and explosion cratering, edited by RoddyJ., PepinR. O., and MerrillR. B. New York: Pergamon. pp. 1003–1008.
- 1993. Oxidation during metamorphism of the ordinary chondrites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 57:1105–1114. and
- 1989. Impact cratering: A geologic process. New York: Oxford University Press. 245 p.
- 2002. Numerical modeling of 26Al-induced radioactive melting of asteroids considering accretion. Icarus 159:183–191. , , and
- 2001. Impacts on asteroids: Fragmentation, regolith transport, and disruption. Icarus 153:1–15. , , , and
- 2009. The distribution of short-lived radioisotopes in the early solar system and the chronology of asteroid accretion, differentiation, and secondary mineralization. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73:5115–5136. , , , and
- 1975. The role of ballistic sedimentation in lunar stratigraphy. Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics 13:337–362.
- 2005. The collisional and dynamical evolution of the main-belt and NEA size distributions. Icarus 178:179–212. and
- 2008. The lunar-wide effects of basin ejecta distribution on the early megaregolith. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43:1517–1529. and
- 2003. Sintering of highly porous silica-particle samples: Analogues of early solar-system aggregates. Icarus 164:139–148.
- 2009. Cratering saturation and equilibrium: A new model looks at an old problem. Icarus 204:697–715.
- 2005. The global effects of impact-induced seismic activity on fractured asteroid surface morphology. Icarus 179:325–349. , , , and
- 2002. The geology of 433 Eros. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37:1651–1684. , , , , and
- 2004. Dawn: A journey in space and time. Planetary and Space Science 52:465–489. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2007. Numerical simulations of the differentiation of accreting planetesimals with 26Al and 60Fe as the heat sources. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 42:1529–1548. , , and
- 1972. Thermal conductivity of earth materials at high temperatures. Journal of Geophysical Research 72:6966–6983. and
- 1978. Creep of olivine during hot-pressing. Tectonophysics 48:41–60. and
- 2005. Meteoritic and other constraints on the internal structure and impact history of small asteroids. Icarus 174:46–53. and
- 1979. Optical absorption and radiative heat transport in olivine at high temperature. Journal of Geophysical Research 84:1603–1610. , , and
- 1969. Origin of the lunar regolith at Tranquillity Base. Proceedings, Apollo 11 Lunar Science Conference. pp. 2399–2412. , , , , , , , , and
- 1973. Sintering and hot pressing of Fra Mauro composition glass and the lithification of lunar breccias. American Journal of Science 273:428–439.
- 1978. Experimental compressional wave velocity measurements in compacting powders under high vacuum: Applications to lunar crustal sounding. Proceedings, 9th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 3637–3649.
- 1975. Heat transfer. New York: Simon and Schuster. 604 p.
- 2002. Asteroid geology from Galileo and NEAR Shoemaker data. In Asteroids III, edited by BottkeW. F., CellinoA., PaolicchiP., and BinzelR. P. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 331–350. , , , and
- 1997. Impact excavation on Asteroid 4 Vesta: Hubble Space Telescope results. Science 277:1492–1495. , , , , , and
- 1979. Blocky craters: Implications about the lunar megaregolith. The Moon and the Planets 21:319–342. , , , , and
- 2009. Rugged crater ejecta as a guide to megaregolith thickness in the southern nearside of the Moon. Geology 37:655–658. , , , and
- 1982. Geodynamics: Applications of continuum physics to geological problems. New York: Wiley. 450 p. and
- 2004. A plausibility of Z-model (abstract #1520). 35th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 2002. Planetary cratering: A probabilistic approach. Journal of Geophysical Research—Planets 107:E001343.
- 2001a. Porosities of lunar meteorites: Strength, porosity, and petrologic screening during the meteorite delivery process. Journal of Geophysical Research—Planets 106:10101–10112.
- 2001b. Compositional structure within the lunar crust as constrained by Lunar Prospector thorium data. Geophysical Research Letters 28:2565–2568.
- 2006. Ureilite petrogenesis: A limited role for smelting during anatexis and catastrophic disruption. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41:835–849. and
- 1987. Megaregolith insulation, internal temperatures, and bulk uranium content of the Moon. Journal of Geophysical Research 92:3453–3465. and
- 1972. Thermal properties of granular materials. In Thermal characteristics of the Moon, edited by LucasJ. W. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press. pp. 215–241. , , and
- 2006. Accretion dynamics and time scales: Relation to chondrites. In Meteorites and the early solar system II, edited by LaurettaD. S. and McSweenH. Y. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 473–485. and
- 1987. The geologic history of the Moon. USGS Professional Paper 1348. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Geological Survey. 302 p.
- 1999. The internal structures and densities of asteroids. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 34:479–483. , , and
- 2008. Thermal evolution and physics of melt extraction on the ureilite parent body. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 72:6154–6176. , , and
- 2009. An empirical model for transient crater growth in granular targets based on direct observations. Icarus 203:310–319. , , , , and
- 1984. Multiple parent bodies of ordinary chondrites. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 68:34–42. and
- 2003. Conditions for pore water convection within carbonaceous chondrite parent bodies—Implications for planetesimal size and heat production. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 213:249–259. , , and
- 1979. Theoretical aspects of sintering glass powders. In Sintering: New developments, edited by RisticM. New York: Elsevier. pp. 57–64.
- 1995. Cyclical regolith processes on hydrous asteroids (abstract). Meteoritics & Planetary Science 30:A606–A607.