Primitive olivine-phyric shergottite NWA 5789: Petrography, mineral chemistry, and cooling history imply a magma similar to Yamato-980459
Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2011
© The Meteoritical Society, 2011
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 46, Issue 1, pages 116–133, January 2011
How to Cite
GROSS, J., TREIMAN, A. H., FILIBERTO, J. and HERD, C. D. K. (2011), Primitive olivine-phyric shergottite NWA 5789: Petrography, mineral chemistry, and cooling history imply a magma similar to Yamato-980459. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 46: 116–133. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01152.x
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2011
- (Received 28 April 2010; revision accepted 30 September 2010)
- 2004. Experimental constraints on the origin of Martian meteorites and the composition of the Martian mantle. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 224:415–429. and
- 2004. The significance of multiple saturation points in the context of polybaric near-fractional melting. Journal of Petrology 45:2349–2367. and
- 2002. Petrology and chemistry of the picritic shergottite Northwest Africa 1068. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 66:3505–3518. , , , , , , , and
- 2003. A petrogenetic model for the origin and compositional variation of the Martian basaltic meteorites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:1713–1731. and
- 2008. Fundamental importance of returned samples to understanding the Martian interior. Ground truth from Mars 2008. http://www.lpi.usra.edu/captem/msr2008/presentations/Draper.pdf. Accessed November 23, 2010. and
- 1982. Parent body of the SNC-meteorites: Chemistry, size and formation. Meteoritics 17:207–208. and
- 1985. Mars, a volatile-rich planet. Meteoritics 20:367–381. and
- 2010. Fe-Mg partitioning between olivine and Martian magmas: Application to genesis of olivine-phyric shergottites and conditions of melting in the Martian interior (abstract). Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45:A54. and
- 2009. Partitioning of Ni between olivine and an iron-rich basalt: Experiments, partition models, and planetary implications. American Mineralogist 94:256–261. , , , and
- 2010. High pressure, near-liquidus phase equilibria of the Home Plate basalt Fastball and melting in the Martian mantle. Geophysical Research Letters 37:L13201, doi:10.1029/2010GL043999. , , , and
- 2010. Experimental petrology, crystallization history and parental magma characteristics of olivine-phyric shergottite NWA 1068: Implications for the petrogenesis of “enriched” olivine-phyric shergotites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45:1258–1270. , , , , , and
- 2000. An internally consistent thermodynamic model for the system CaO-MgO-Al2O3-SiO2 derived primarily from phase equilibrium data. The Journal of Geology 108:103–119.
- 1999. The fusion crusts of stony meteorites: Implications for the atmospheric reprocessing of extraterrestrial materials. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 34:341–356. and
- 1991. Fe-Ti oxide geothermometry—Thermodynamic formulation and the estimation of intensive variables in silicic magmas. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 108:485–510. and
- 2002. The pMELTS: A revision of MELTS for improved calculation of phase relations and major element partitioning related to partial melting of the mantle to 3 GPa. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 3:1030, doi:1010.1029/2001GC000217. , , , and
- 2002. Olivine-phyric Martian basalts: A new type of shergottite. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37:B31–B34.
- 2003. Petrogenesis of olivine-phyric shergottites Sayh al Uhaymir 005 and Elephant Moraine A79001 lithology A. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 67:3735–3771.
- 2003. Spinels and oxygen fugacity in olivine-phyric and lherzolitic shergottites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:1773–1792. , , and
- 2004. Petrology and shock metamorphism of the olivine-phyric shergottite Yamato 890459: Evidence for a two-stage cooling and single-stage ejection history. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 68:2359–2377. , , and
- 2010. Primitive olivine-phyric shergottite NWA 5789: Petrology, mineral chemistry and cooling history imply a magma similar to Yamato 980459 (abstract #1813). 41st Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , and
- 2003. The oxygen fugacity of olivine-phyric Martian basalts and the components within the mantle and crust of Mars. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:1793–1805.
- 2004. Oxygen in Martian meteorites: A review of results from mineral equilibria oxybarometers (abstract #3026). Workshop on Oxygen in the Terrestrial Planets.
- 2006. Insights into the redox history of the NWA 1068/1110 Martian basalt from mineral equilibria and vanadium oxybarometry. American Mineralogist 91:1616–1627.
- 2008. Basalts as probes of planetary interior redox state. In Oxygen in the solar system, edited by MacPhersonG. Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, vol. 68, pp. 527–553.
- 2010. Petrologic, elemental and multi-isotopic characterization of permafic olivine-phyric shergottite Northwest Africa 5789: A primitive magma derived from depleted Martian mantle (abstract #1547). 41st Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Olivine from planetary basalts: Chemical signatures that indicate planetary parentage and those that record igneous setting and process. American Mineralogist 88:806–816. , , and
- 2004. Plagioclase from planetary basalts: Chemical signatures that reflect planetary volatile budgets, oxygen fugacity, and styles of igneous differentiation. American Mineralogist 89:1101–1109. , , and
- 2002. A possible effect of melt structure on the Mg-Fe2+ partitioning between olivine and melt. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 66:2267–2272. and
- 1998. Mg-Fe partitioning between olivine and mafic-ultramafic melts. Geophysical Research Letters 25:2337–2340. and
- 1992. Petrological systematics of mid-ocean ridge basalts: Constraints on melt generation beneath ocean ridges. Geophysical Monograph-American Geophysical Union 71:183–280. , , and
- 1989. The parent magmas of the SNC meteorites. Proceedings, 19th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 451–464. and
- 2007. Evaluation of image classification routines for determining modal mineralogy of rocks from X-ray maps. American Mineralogist 92:1781–1788. and
- 2004. Yamato 980459: The most primitive shergottite? (abstract #2154). 35th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , , and
- 1994. What we have learned about Mars from SNC meteorites. Meteoritics 29:757–779.
- 2002. The rocks of Mars, from far and near. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37:7–25.
- 1983. Petrogenesis of the Elephant Moraine A79001 meteorite: Multiple magma pulses on the shergottite parent body. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 47:1501–1513. and
- 2004. Yamato 980459: Mineralogy and petrology of a new shergottite-related rock from Antarctica. Antarctic Meteorite Research 17:13–34. , , , , , , and
- 2003. The Yamato 980459 shergottite consortium. In International symposium: Evolution of solar system materials, National Institute for Polar Research, Tokyo. pp. 84–85.
- 2006. Experimental petrology of the basaltic shergottite Yamato-980459: Implications for the thermal structure of the Martian mantle. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41:1271–1290. , , , and
- 2004. The origin and evolution of silica-saturated alkalic suites: An experimental study. Journal of Petrology 45:693–721. , , , , , and
- 2007. Alkalic parental magmas for chassignites? Meteoritics & Planetary Science 42:979–992. , , , and
- 1993. Thermodynamic data from redox reactions at high-temperatures: 1. An experimental and theoretical assessment of the electrochemical method using stabilized zirconia electrolytes, with revised values for the Fe- FeO, Co-CoO, Ni-NiO and Cu-Cu2O oxygen buffers, and new data for the W-WO2 buffer. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 114:296–314. and
- 2009. Silicate mineralogy of Martian meteorites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73:7443–7485. , , , and
- 2010. Crystallization, melt inclusion, and redox history of a Martian meteorite: Olivine-phyric shergottite Larkman Nunatak 06319. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74:4543–4576. , , , , , , and
- 1989. Importance of considerations of mixing properties in establishing an internally consistent thermodynamic database—Thermochemistry of minerals in the system Mg2SiO4-Fe2SiO4-SiO2. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 102:41–68. and
- 1991a. Chromian spinels as petrogenetic indicators: Thermodynamic and petrologic applications. American Mineralogist 76:827–847. and
- 1991b. An internally consistent model for the thermodynamic properties of Fe-Mg-titanomagnetite-aluminate spinels. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 106:474–505. and
- 1994a. Thermodynamics of multicomponent pyroxenes. 1. Formulation of a general-model. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 116:277–286. and
- 1994b. Thermodynamics of multicomponent pyroxenes. 2. Phase-relations in the quadrilateral. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 116:287–300. and
- 1994c. Thermodynamics of multicomponent pyroxenes. 3. Calibration of Fe2+(Mg)(-1), Tial2(Mgsi2)(-1), Tife2(3+)(Mgsi2)(-1), Alfe3+(Mgsi)(-1), Naal(Camg)(-1), Al-2(Mgsi)(-1) and Ca(Mg)(-1) exchange-reactions between pyroxenes and silicate melts. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 118:271–296. and
- 2006. Valence state partitioning of vanadium between olivine-liquid: Estimates of the oxygen fugacity of Y980459 and application to other olivine-phyric martian basalts. American Mineralogist 91:1657–1663. , , , and
- 2008. Petrogenetic linkages among Martian basalts: Implications based on trace element chemistry of olivine. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43:1241–1258. , , , , , and
- 1979. Petrology and origin of the shergottite meteorite. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 43:1475–1498. and
- 1979. A petrogenetic model of the relationship among achondritic meteorites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 43:589–602. , , and
- 1978. Partitioning of Ni2+, Co2+, Fe2+, Mn2+, and Mg2+ between olivine and silicate melts: Compositional dependence of partition coefficient. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 42:1829–1844.
- 2002. Martian meteorite Dhofar 019: A new shergottite. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37:1107–1128. , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2008. Fusion crust on meteorites: Simple melting or petrogenetic signature? (abstract #1391). 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. and
- 2005. The thermodynamics of iron and magnesium partitioning between olivine and liquid: Criteria for assessing and predicting equilibrium in natural and experimental systems. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 149:22–39.
- 2003. Chemical compositions of Martian basalts (shergottites): Some inferences on basalt formation, mantle metasomatism, and differentiation in Mars. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:1849–1864.
- 2000. The SNC meteorites are from Mars. Planetary and Space Science 48:1213–1230. , , and
- 2008. Petrogenesis of olivine-phyric shergottite Yamato 980459, revisited. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 72:1711–1730. , , and
- 2001. A petrologic and trace element study of Dar al Gani 476 and Dar al Gani 489: Twin meteorites with affinities to basaltic and lherzolitic shergottites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 36:195–208. , , , and
- 1991. Chemistry, accretion, and evolution of Mars. Space Science Reviews 56:1–8.
- 2010. The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 97. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45:1–45. , , , , , , , , and
- 1969. Fayalite-magnetite-quartz assemblage between 600° and 800 °C. American Journal of Science 267A:480–488. and
- 1991. Oxygen barometry of spinel peridotites. In Oxide minerals, edited by LindsleyD. H. Reviews in Mineralogy, vol. 25, pp. 417–431.