Near-infrared spectra of clinopyroxenes: Effects of calcium content and crystal structure
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2011
© The Meteoritical Society, 2011
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 46, Issue 3, pages 379–395, March 2011
How to Cite
KLIMA, R. L., DYAR, M. D. and PIETERS, C. M. (2011), Near-infrared spectra of clinopyroxenes: Effects of calcium content and crystal structure. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 46: 379–395. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01158.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2011
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2011
- (Received 15 May 2010; revision accepted 18 November 2010)
- 1974. Visible and near-infrared diffuse reflectance spectra of pyroxenes as applied to remote sensing of solid objects in the solar system. Journal of Geophysical Research 79:4829–4836.
- 1975. Interpretation of visible and near-infrared diffuse reflectance spectra of pyroxenes and other rock-forming minerals. In Infrared and Raman spectroscopy of lunar and terrestrial minerals, edited by KarrC. J. New York: Academic Press Inc. pp. 91–116.
- 1972. Electronic spectra of pyroxenes and interpretation of telescopic spectral reflectivity curves of the moon. Proceedings, 3rd Lunar Science Conference. pp. 3021–3034. and
- 1976. Optical spectra and electron paramagnetic resonance of lunar and synthetic glasses: A study of the effects of controlled atmosphere, composition, and temperature. Proceedings, 7th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 2543–2559. , , and
- The OMEGA Team. 2005. Mars surface diversity as revealed by the OMEGA/Mars Express observations. Science 307:1576–1581. , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1993. Mineralogical applications of crystal field theory, 2nd ed. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 551 p.
- 1980. Crystal chemistry of silicate pyroxenes. In Pyroxenes, edited by PrewittC. T. Washington, D.C.: Mineralogical Society of America. pp. 5–92. and
- 1991. Pyroxene spectroscopy revisited—Spectral-compositional correlations and relationship to geothermometry. Journal of Geophysical Research—Planets 96:22809–22826. and
- 2007. Near-infrared optical constants of pyroxene as a function of iron and calcium content. Journal of Geophysical Research 112, doi: 10.1029/2006JE002802. , , , and
- 1973. Mössbauer spectra of synthetic hedenbergite-ferrosilite pyroxenes. American Mineralogist 58:850–868. and
- 1985. A review of Mössbauer data on inorganic glasses: The effects of composition on iron valency and coordination. American Mineralogist 70:304–316.
- 2002. Mineralogy of asteroids. In Asteroids III, edited by BottkeW. F., CellinoA., PaolicchiP., and BinzelR. P. Tucson, Arizona: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 183–204. , , , and
- 2004. Mineralogy of asteroid 1459 Magnya and implication for its origin. Icarus 167:170–177. , , and
- 2006. Near-infrared spectral observations and interpretations for S-asteroids 138 Tolosa, 306 Unitas, 346 Hermentaria and 480 Hansa. Icarus 181:94–106. , , , , and
- 1978. Effects of compositional variation on absorption spectra of lunar pyroxenes. Proceedings, 9th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2919–2934. , , and
- 2008. Integrated spectroscopy of Mg-Fe-Ca pyroxenes: A foundation for modern compositional analysis of planetary surfaces. Ph.D. thesis, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA.
- 2007. Spectroscopy of synthetic Mg-Fe pyroxenes I: Spin-allowed and spin-forbidden crystal field bands in the visible and near-infrared. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 42:235–253. , , and
- 2008. Characterization of the 1.2 μm M1 pyroxene band: Extracting cooling history from near-IR spectra of pyroxenes and pyroxene-dominated rocks. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43:1591–1604. , , and
- 1983. Pyroxene thermometry. American Mineralogist 68:477–493.
- 1995. Seeing through the dust: Martian crustal heterogeneity and links to the SNC meteorites. Science 267:1623–1626. and
- 2005. Olivine and pyroxene diversity in the crust of Mars. Science 307:1594–1597. , , , , , , , , and
- 1975. The effect of Ca-Fe substitution on the clinopyroxene crystal structure. American Mineralogist 60:423–434. , , and
- 1983. Strength of mineral absorption features in the transmitted component of near-infrared reflected light: First results from RELAB. Journal of Geophysical Research 88:9534–9544.
- 1993. Compositional diversity and stratigraphy of the lunar crust derived from reflectance spectroscopy. In Remote geochemical analysis: Elemental and mineralogical composition, edited by PietersC. M. and EnglertP. A. J. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. pp. 309–339.
- 1980. Pyroxene spectroscopy. In Pyroxenes, edited by PrewittC. T. Washington, D.C.: Mineralogical Society of America. pp. 93–116.
- 1969. Unit-cell parameters of synthetic diopsde-hedenbergite solid solution series. American Mineralogist 54:238–245. and
- 2004. Near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy of Ca-rich clinopyroxenes and prospects for remote spectral characterization of planetary surfaces. Icarus 168:80–92. , , and
- 1976. Orthoferrosilite: High-temperature crystal chemistry. American Mineralogist 61:38–53. , , and
- 1993. Estimating modal abundances from the spectra of natural and laboratory pyroxene mixtures using the modified Gaussian model. Journal of Geophysical Research—Planets 98:9075–9087. and
- 1990. Deconvolution of mineral absorption-bands—An improved approach. Journal of Geophysical Research—Solid Earth and Planets 95:6955–6966. , , and
- 1999. Absorption band modeling in reflectance spectra: Availability of the modified Gaussian model (abstract #1306). 30th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , and
- 1973. Synthesis and unit cell parameters of Ca-Mg-Fe pyroxenes. American Mineralogist 58:50–59. , , and
- 2005. Fe-Mg disorder in orthopyroxenes. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 69:5777–5788. , , , , and