Gebel Kamil: The iron meteorite that formed the Kamil crater (Egypt)
Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2011
© The Meteoritical Society, 2011
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 46, Issue 8, pages 1179–1196, August 2011
How to Cite
D’ORAZIO, M., FOLCO, L., ZEOLI, A. and CORDIER, C. (2011), Gebel Kamil: The iron meteorite that formed the Kamil crater (Egypt). Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 46: 1179–1196. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01222.x
- Issue online: 23 AUG 2011
- Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2011
- (Received 07 March 2011; revision accepted 29 May 2011)
- 1963. Destruction of the Widmanstätten structure in iron meteorites by laboratory heat treatment. Nature 197:1291.
- 1975. Fracture mechanism of Henbury meteorite by separation along surfaces of shear faulting. Nature 256:635. and
- 2006. The rate of small impacts on Earth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41:607–631. and
- 1975. Handbook of iron meteorites. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. 1416 p. .
- 2003. An experimental test of Henry’s Law in solid metal-liquid metal systems with implications for iron meteorites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:181–196. , , , , and
- 2005. Earth impact effects program: A web-based computer program for calculating the regional and environmental consequences of a meteoroid impact on Earth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:817–840. , , and
- 2003. Chemical analysis of iron meteorites by inductively coupled plasma–mass spectrometry. Geostandards Newsletter 27:215–225. and
- 1993. Partitioning of platinum-group elements and Au in the Fe-Ni-Cu-S system––Experiments on the fractional crystallization of sulfide melt. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 115:36–44. , , , and
- 2010. The Kamil crater in Egypt. Science 329:804. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2011. Kamil crater (Egypt): Ground truth for small-scale meteorite impacts on Earth. Geology 39:179–182. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1981. Constraints on the formation of ring impact structures, based on terrestrial data. In Proceedings of the conference on multi-ring basins: Formation and evolution, edited by MerrillR. P. and SchultzP. H. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 37–57. , , and .
- 2008. Anatomy of a young impact event in central Alberta, Canada: Prospects for the missing Holocene impact record. Geology 36:955–958. , , , , , and
- 2010. The Whitecourt meteorite impact crater, Alberta, Canada. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45:1429–1445. , , and
- 2007. Guidebook to the geology of Barringer Meteorite Crater (a.k.a. Meteor Crater). LPI Contribution 1355. Houston: Lunar and Planetary Institute. 154 p. .
- 1966. The Sikhote-Aline iron meteorite shower. In Giant meteorites, edited by BeynonM. M. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 266–376. .
- 2006. Climate-controlled Holocene occupation in the Sahara: Motor of Africa's evolution. Science 313:803–807. and
- 1999. The 36Cl-36Ar-40K-41K records and cosmic ray production rates in iron meteorites. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 170:93–104. , , , , and
- 2010. Deep impact market: The race to acquire meteorites. New Scientist 2772:10–12.
- 2001. A simple calculator of ballistic trajectories for blocks ejected during volcanic eruptions. USGS Open-File Report 01-45, version 1.2 online November 2009. .
- 1989. Impact cratering: A geologic process. Oxford monographs on geology and geophysics. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 245 p. .
- 1985. Sampling of planetary surfaces by oblique impact jet entrainment (abstract). 16th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 629–630. and .
- 1958. Distribution of meteoritic debris about the Arizona Meteorite Crater. Smithsonian Contributions to Astrophysics 2:145–160.
- 1993. Shock effects in experimentally shocked samples of the H6 chondrite Kernouvé (abstract). Meteoritics 28:431–432. , , and .
- 1933. Meteoric iron and silica-glass from the meteorite craters of Henbury (central Australia) and Wabar (Arabia). Mineralogical Magazine 23:387–404. and
- 2009. A meteorite crater on Earth formed on September 15, 2007: The Carancas hypervelocity impact. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 44:1967–1984. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2008. Modelling fractional crystallization of group IVB iron meteorites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 72:2198–2216. , , , , , , and
- 2002. The IAB iron-meteorite complex: A group, five subgroups, numerous grouplets, closely related, mainly formed by crystal segregation in rapidly cooling melts. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 66:2445–2473. and
- 2010. The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 98, September 2010. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45:1530–1551. , , , , , , , and
- 1992. Texture, chemical composition and genesis of schreibersite in iron meteorite. Journal of the Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University, Series IV 23:255–280. and