Scanning electron microscope-cathodoluminescence (SEM-CL) imaging of planar deformation features and tectonic deformation lamellae in quartz
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2011
© The Meteoritical Society, 2011
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 46, Issue 12, pages 1814–1831, December 2011
How to Cite
HAMERS, M. F. and DRURY, M. R. (2011), Scanning electron microscope-cathodoluminescence (SEM-CL) imaging of planar deformation features and tectonic deformation lamellae in quartz. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 46: 1814–1831. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01295.x
- Issue published online: 5 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2011
- (Received 08 December 2010; revision accepted 26 September 2011)
- 1988. Microscopic lamellar deformation features in quartz: Discriminative characteristics of shock-generated varieties. Geology 16:796–799. , , and
- 2004. Bedout: A possible end-Permian impact crater offshore of Northwestern Australia. Science 304:1469–1476. , , , , , , and
- 2005. Provenance analysis by single-quartz-grain SEM-CL/optical microscopy. Journal of Sedimentary Research 75:492–500. and
- 1988. Stress estimates and fault history from quartz microstructures. Journal of Structural Geology 10:673–684. and
- 2001. Identification of shocked quartz by scanning cathodoluminescence imaging. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 36:783–791. , , , , and
- 2002. Is quartz cathodoluminescence color a reliable provenance tool? A quantitative examination. Journal of Sedimentary Research 72:408–415. , , , , , and
- 1883. Ueber die Gesteine des Wechsels. Zeitschrift für Kristallographie, Mineralogie und Petrographie 5:197–214.
- 1965. Basal quartz deformation lamellae; a criterion for recognition of impactites. American Journal of Science 263:786–806.
- 2010. A record of ancient cataclysm in modern sand: Shock microstructures in detrital minerals from the Vaal River, Vredefort Dome, South Africa. Geological Society of America Bulletin 122:1968–1980. , , , and
- 1974. Substructures of deformation lamellae in quartz. Geology 2:405–408. and
- 1959. The origin of deformation lamellae in quartz. American Journal of Science 257:385–407. and
- 1999. Characterization of magnetite particles in shocked quartz by means of electron- and magnetic force microscopy: Vredefort, South Africa. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 137:232–245. , , , , , and
- 1995. TEM study of shock metamorphism in quartz from the Sedan nuclear test site. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 129:163–170. and
- 1994. Shock metamorphism in quartz at Sevetin and Susice (Bohemia)? A TEM investigation. Meteoritics 29:98–99. , , and
- 1993. Deformation lamellae in metals and minerals. In Defects and processes in the solid state: Geoscience applications, edited by Boland J. N. and Fitz Gerald J. D. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Publishers B. V. pp. 195–212. .
- 1969. Shock induced planar deformation structures in quartz from the Ries crater, Germany. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 20:203–234. and
- 1992. The Azuara impact structure (Spain)—New insights from geophysical and geological investigations. Geologische Rundschau 81:403–427. and
- 2008. Shock metamorphism of Bosumtwi Impact Crater rocks, shock attenuation, and uplift formation. Science 322:1678–1681. , , , and
- 2009. Characterisation of ballen quartz and cristobalite in impact breccias: New observations and constraints on ballen formation. European Journal of Mineralogy 21:203–217. , , and
- 2010. Ballen quartz and cristobalite in impactites: New investigations. Geological Society of America Special Papers 465:609–618. , , , , , and
- 2001. Cathodoluminescence of crystalline and amorphous SiO2 and GeO2. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 279:51–59. , , , and
- 2010. The convincing identification of terrestrial meteorite impact structures: What works, what doesn’t, and why. Earth Science Reviews 98:123–170. and
- 2004. The Rock Elm meteorite impact structure, Wisconsin: Geology and shock-metamorphic effects in quartz. Geological Society of America Bulletin 116:200–218. , , and
- 2004. Comment on “Bedout: A possible end-permian impact crater offshore of Northwestern Australia.” Science 306:613b.
- 1992. Formation mechanisms of planar deformation features in naturally shocked quartz. Physics of The Earth and Planetary Interiors 74:219–240. , , , and
- 2009. Petrological modifications in continental target rocks from terrestrial impact structures: Evidence from cathodoluminescence. In Cathodoluminescence and its application in the planetary sciences, edited by Gucsik A. Berlin: Springer. pp. 45–60. .
- 2008. A comparison of optical microscope- and scanning electron microscope-based cathodoluminescence (CL) imaging and spectroscopy applied to geosciences. Mineralogical Magazine 72:909–924. and
- 2001. Origin, spectral characteristics and practical applications of the cathodoluminescence (CL) of quartz—A review. Mineralogy and Petrology 71:225–250. , , and
- 1992. Shock metamorphism of quartz with initial temperatures −170 to + 1000 °C. Physics and Chemistry of Minerals 19:267–288. , , , , , and
- 1996. Distinguishing shocked from tectonically deformed quartz by the use of the SEM and chemical etching. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 142:513–521. , , and
- 1990. Microscopic planar deformation features in quartz of the Vredefort structure: Anomalous but still suggestive of an impact origin. Tectonophysics 171:185–200. , , , and
- 1996. Shock metamorphism of quartz in nature and experiment: II. Significance in geoscience (abstract). Meteoritics & Planetary Science 31:6–35. , , and
- 2003. Scanning electron microscopy, cathodoluminescence, and Raman spectroscopy of experimentally shock-metamorphosed quartzite (abstract). Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:1187–1197. , , , , and
- 2010. Estimation of shock pressure on quartz and alkali feldspar from Ries crater using cathodoluminescence spectroscopy (abstract #5192). 73rd Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society: New York, USA. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45. , , , , , and
- 1971. Shock metamorphism of the Coconino Sandstone at Meteor Crater, Arizona. Journal of Geophysical Research 76:5449–5473.
- 1976. Shock processes in porous quartzite: Transmission electron microscope observations and theory. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 59:41–93. , , and
- 1981. Spacing of deformation lamellae as a palaeopiezometer. Transactions of the American Geophysical Union 62:1030. and
- 2005. Relationships between SEM-cathodoluminescence response and trace-element composition of hydrothermal vein quartz. American Mineralogist 90:122–131. and
- 1994. Shock experiments on pre-heated alpha-quartz and beta-quartz: II. X-ray and TEM investigations. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 128:683–698.
- 1994. Shock experiments on pre-heated alpha-quartz and beta-quartz: I. Optical and density data. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 125:407–420. and
- 1996. The Azuara and Rubielos structures, Spain: Twin impact craters or alpine thrust systems? TEM investigations on deformed quartz disprove shock origin (abstract). 27th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 725–726. and .
- 2005. Reexamination of quartz grains from the Permian-Triassic boundary section at Graphite Peak, Antarctica (abstract #2358). 36th Annual Lunar and Planetary Science Conference: League City, Texas. , , and .
- 1993. Dynamic deformation of quartz in the landslide of Koefels, Austria. European Journal of Mineralogy 5:893–902. and
- 1994. A TEM investigation of shock metamorphism in quartz from the Vredefort Dome, South-Africa. Tectonophysics 230:223–239. , , and
- 1993. Planar lamellar substructures in quartz. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 119:431–440. , , , and
- 1988. Cathodoluminescence of geological materials. Boston: Unwin Hyman. 146 p. .
- 1970. Dislocation structure of the deformation lamellae in synthetic quartz; a study by electron and optical microscopy. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 29:104–115. , , , and
- 2004. Introduction to optical mineralogy. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 348 p. .
- 1991. A review of the structure, petrology, and dynamic deformation characteristics of some enigmatic terrestrial structures. Earth Science Reviews 30:1–49. and
- 2009. Raman and cathodoluminescence spectroscopical microcharacterization of planar deformation features in shocked quartz from Ries impact crater (Germany). Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, (41 No. 7): 308. , , , , and .
- 1992. Microdistribution of Al, Li, and Na in alpha quartz; possible causes and correlation with short-lived cathodoluminescence. American Mineralogist 77:534–544. , , , , and
- 2011. Feather features: A low-shock-pressure indicator in quartz. Journal of Geophysical Research 116:B02201. and
- 1990. Factors influencing the short-lived blue cathodoluminescence of alpha-quartz. American Mineralogist 75:791–800. and
- 2000. Geologic application of cathodoluminescence in silicates. In Cathodoluminescence in Geosciences, edited by Pagel M., Barbin V., Blanc P. and Ohnenstetter D. Berlin: Springer. pp. 177–191. and .
- 1992. Petrological modifications in granitic rocks from the Siljan impact structure: Evidence from cathodoluminescence. Tectonophysics 216:195–204. , , , and
- 1998. Search for evidence of impact at the Permian-Triassic boundary in Antarctica and Australia. Geology 26:979–982. , , , , , and
- 2002. Scanning electron microscope-cathodoluminescence analysis of quartz reveals complex growth histories in veins from the Butte porphyry copper deposit, Montana. Geology 30:727–730. and
- 2006. Intensity of quartz cathodoluminescence and trace-element content in quartz from the porphyry copper deposit at Butte, Montana. American Mineralogist 91:1300–1300. , , , and
- 1997. Provenance interpretation of quartz by scanning electron microscope-cathodoluminescence fabric analysis. Geology 25:787–790. , , , , , and
- 2009. Cathodoluminescence microcharacterization of point defects in α-quartz. Mineralogical Magazine 73:585–605.
- 1995. Cathodoluminescence microcharacterization of the defect structure of quartz. Physical Review B 52:3122. and
- 2000. Cathodoluminescence microcharacterisation of silicon dioxide polymorphs. In Cathodoluminescence in Geosciences, edited by Pagel M., Barbin V., Blanc P. and Ohnenstetter D. Berlin: Springer. pp. 193–224. , , , and .
- 1994. Shock metamorphism of quartz in nature and experiment: I. Basic observation and theory. Meteoritics 29:155–181. and
- 1988. Scanning electron microscope study of shock features in pumice and gneiss from köfels (Tyrol, Austria). Geologisch-Palä ontologische Mitteilungen Innsbruck 15:135–143.
- 2008. Shock effects in quartz: Compression versus shear deformation—An example from the Rochechouart impact structure, France. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 267:322–332.
- 2005. Planar microstructures and Dauphiné twins in shocked quartz from the Charlevoix impact structure, Canada. In Large Meteorite Impacts III, edited by Kenkmann T., Hörz F. and Deutsch A. Boulder, CO: Geological Society of America. pp. 315–328. and .
- 2005. Impact-related Ca-metasomatism in crystalline target-rocks from the Charlevoix structure, Quebec, Canada. The Canadian Mineralogist 43:553–567. , , and
- 2003. Luminescence of different modifications of crystalline silicon dioxide: Stishovite and coesite. Solid State Communications 127:415–418. , , , , and
- 2004. Luminescence of silica glass containing aluminum oxide. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 347:80–86. , , and
- 2005. Experimental reproduction of tectonic deformation lamellae in quartz and comparison to shock-induced planar deformation features (abstract). Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:1353–1361. and
- 1987. The Ševětín astrobleme, southern Bohemia, Czechoslovakia. Geologische Rundschau 76:505–528.
- 2000. Some examples of the effect of crystallographic orientation on the cathodoluminescence colors of quartz. Journal of Sedimentary Research 70:545–548. and
- 1983. Chemical etching of deformation sub-structures in quartz. Physics and Chemistry of Minerals 9:67–78. and
- 1973. Deformation lamellae in naturally deformed quartz. Nature Physical Science 245:26–28.
- 2005. Acraman-Bunyeroo impact event (Ediacaran), South Australia, and environmental consequences: Twenty-five years on. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences: An International Geoscience Journal of the Geological Society of Australia 52:607–620. and
- 1978. Cathodoluminescence of quartz and its application to sandstone petrology. Contributions to Sedimentary Geology 8:1–69.