The M-/X-asteroid menagerie: Results of an NIR spectral survey of 45 main-belt asteroids
Article first published online: 14 NOV 2011
© The Meteoritical Society, 2011
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 46, Issue 12, pages 1910–1938, December 2011
How to Cite
HARDERSEN, P. S., CLOUTIS, E. A., REDDY, V., MOTHÉ-DINIZ, T. and EMERY, J. P. (2011), The M-/X-asteroid menagerie: Results of an NIR spectral survey of 45 main-belt asteroids. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 46: 1910–1938. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01304.x
- Issue published online: 5 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 14 NOV 2011
- (Received 13 February 2009; revision accepted 12 October 2011)
- 1974. Visible and near-infrared diffuse reflectance spectra of pyroxenes as applied to remote sensing of solid objects in the solar system. Journal of Geophysical Research 79:4829–4836.
- 2010. Hints on the puzzling 21 Lutetia nature from OSIRIS Rosetta data. Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society 42:1043. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Spectral properties of nine M-type asteroids. Astronomy & Astrophysics 475:747–754. , , and
- 1998. Chondritic meteorites. In Planetary materials, edited by Papike J. J. Washington, D.C.: Mineralogical Society of America. pp. 3-1–3-398. and .
- 2003. Stony meteorite porosities and densities: A review of the data through 2001. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:1161–1180. , and
- 2002. Spectra of extremely reduced assemblages: Implications for Mercury. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37:1233–1244. , , , , , and
- 2007. Reflectance spectra of mesosiderites: Implications for Asteroid 4 Vesta (abstract #1338). 38th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , and .
- 2009. Pyroxene mineralogies of near-Earth asteroids. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 44:1331–1341. , , , and
- 1993. Mineralogical applications of crystal field theory. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 551 p. .
- 2002. Phase II of the small main-belt asteroid spectroscopic survey. The observations. Icarus 158:106–145. and
- 2002. Hydrated silicates on M-, S-, and E-type asteroids as possible tracers of collisions with bodies from the Jupiter growth zone. Solar System Research 36:35–42.
- 1997. Spectral characteristics of Fe-bearing phyllosilicates: Comparison to Orgueil (CI1), Murchison and Murray (CM2). Meteoritics 32:693–701. and .
- 1973. Comparisons of meteorite and asteroid spectral reflectivities. Icarus 19:507–522. and
- 2002. Asteroid space weathering and regolith evolution. In Asteroids III, edited by Bottke W. F. Jr., Cellino A., Paolicchi P., and Binzel R. P. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 585–599. , , , and .
- 2004. Spectroscopy of X-type asteroids. The Astronomical Journal 128:3070–3081. , , , , and
- 1991. Pyroxene spectroscopy revisited––Spectral-compositional correlations and relationship to geothermometry. Journal of Geophysical Research 96:22809–22826. and
- 1986. Calibrations of phase abundance, composition, and particle size distribution for olivine-orthopyroxene mixtures from reflectance spectra. Journal of Geophysical Research 91:11641–11653. , , , and
- 1990. Metal silicate mixtures: Spectral properties and applications to asteroid taxonomy. Journal of Geophysical Research 95:8323–8338. , , , and
- 2006. HOSERLab: A new planetary spectrophotometer facility (abstract #2121). 37th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , and .
- 2010. Reflectance spectra of iron meteorites: Implications for spectral identification of their parent bodies. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45:304–332. , , , , , and
- 2011. Spectral reflectance properties of carbonaceous chondrites: 1. CI chondrites. Icarus 212:180–209. , , , , and
- 2004. Spextool: A spectral extraction package for SpeX, a 0.8-5.5 micron cross-dispersed spectrograph. The Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 116:362–376. , , and
- 2008. New determinations of the size and bulk density of the binary Asteroid 22 Kalliope from observations of mutual eclipses. Icarus 196:578–600. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1979. The nature of the M-type asteroids from optical polarimetry. Icarus 37:124–132. , , and
- 2007. Are the E-type asteroids (2867) Steins, a target of the Rosetta mission, and NEA (3103) Eger remnants of an old asteroid family? Astronomy & Astrophysics 474:L29–L32. , , , , and
- 2008. Visible and near infrared spectroscopic investigation of E-type asteroids, including 2867 Steins, a target of the Rosetta mission. Icarus 196:119–134. , , , and
- 2010. Spectroscopic survey of M-type asteroids. Icarus 210:655–673. , , , , , and
- 1976. Spectral reflectance characteristics of the meteorite classes. Journal of Geophysical Research 81:905–920.
- 1997. Surface lithologic heterogeneity of Asteroid 4 Vesta. Icarus 127:130–157.
- 2003. Observational and data reduction techniques to optimize mineralogical characterizations of asteroid surface materials (abstract #1602). 34th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. .
- 2010. Space weathering and the interpretation of asteroid reflectance spectra. Icarus 209:564–574.
- 1979. Mineralogical and petrological characterizations of asteroid surface materials. In Asteroids, edited by Gehrels T. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 688–723. and .
- 1993. Mineralogical variations within the S-type asteroid class. Icarus 106:573–602. , , , , , , and
- 2002. Mineralogy of asteroids. In Asteroids III, edited by Bottke W. F. Jr., Cellino A., Paolicchi P., and Binzel R. P. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 183–204. , , , and .
- 2010. The relationship between CK and CV chondrites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74:1684–1705. , , , and
- 1993. Heliocentric zoning of the asteroid belt by Aluminum-26 heating. Science 259:653–655. and .
- 2004. Mineralogy of Asteroid 1459 Magnya and implications for its origin. Icarus 167:170–177. , , and
- 2005. Near-IR spectral evidence for the presence of iron-poor orthopyroxenes on the surfaces of six M-type asteroids. Icarus 175:141–158. , , and
- 2006a. Near-infrared spectral observations and interpretations for S-asteroids 138 Tolosa, 306 Unitas, 346 Hermentaria, and 480 Hansa. Icarus 181:94–106. , , , , and
- 2006b. Discovering spectral and mineralogical diversity among the M-asteroid population (abstract #1106). 37th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , and .
- 1991. Protoplanetary thermal metamorphism: The hypothesis of electromagnetic induction in the protosolar wind. In The Sun in time, edited by Sonett C. P., Giampapa M. S., and Matthews M. S. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 710–739. , , and .
- 1979. The pyroxene chemistry of four mesosiderites. Proceedings, 10th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 1109–1125.
- 2002. Temperature-dependent near-infrared spectral properties of minerals, meteorites, and lunar soil. Icarus 155:169–180. and
- 2006. Developing space weathering on the asteroid 25143 Itokawa. Nature 443:56–58. , , , , , , , and .
- 1990. The composition and origin of the C, P, and D asteroids––Water as a tracer of thermal evolution in the outer belt. Icarus 88:172–192. , , , and
- 1989. Spectral characteristics of chlorites and Mg-serpentines using high-resolution reflectance spectroscopy. Journal of Geophysical Research 94:13997–14008. and
- 1987. Relation of the spectroscopic reflectance of olivine to mineral chemistry and some remote sensing implications. Journal of Geophysical Research 92:11457–11469. and
- 2009. Oxygen isotopes in ungrouped achondrite NWA 1500 and comparison to brachinites (abstract #1393). 40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , and .
- 1993. Manual of mineralogy, 21st ed. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 681 p. and .
- 1979. Families of asteroids by a new criterion. Tokio Astronomical Observatory, Annals, Second Series 17:194–220.
- 2006. Space weathering in the main asteroid belt: The big picture. The Astronomical Journal 647:L179–L182. , , , , , , and
- 2004. S3OS2: The visible spectroscopic survey of 820 asteroids. Icarus 172:179–220. , , , , , and .
- 1989. Radiometry and thermal modeling of asteroids. In Asteroids II, edited by Matthews M. S., Binzel R. P., and Gehrels T. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 128–147. and .
- 1989. On the surface composition of the M-type asteroids. Icarus 78:395–401. and
- 1999. Mainbelt asteroids: Results of Arecibo and Goldstone radar observations of 37 objects during 1980–1995. Icarus 140:379–407. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2007. A radar survey of main-belt asteroids: Arecibo observations of 55 objects during 1999–2003. Icarus 186:126–151. , , , and .
- 2003. A low-density M-type asteroid in the main belt. Science 300:1939–1942. and
- 1991. The mineralogy of ordinary chondrites and implications for asteroid spectrophotometry. Icarus 90:107–116. , , and
- 1995. Radar observations of asteroids 7 Iris, 12 Victoria, 216 Kleopatra, and 654 Zelinda. Icarus 118:105–131. , , , , , , and
- 2004. Northwest Africa 1500: Not a basaltic ureilite; not even a ureilite (abstract #5086). 67th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39. and .
- 1998. Non-chondritic meteorites from asteroidal bodies. In Planetary materials, edited by Papike J. J. Washington, D.C.: Mineralogical Society of America. pp. 4-1–4-195. , , , and .
- 1996. Optical effects of regolith processes on S-asteroids as simulated by laser shots on ordinary chondrite and other mafic minerals. Icarus 122:366–382. , , , , and
- 2000. Reflectance spectra of olivine-orthopyroxene-bearing assemblages at decreased temperatures: Implications for remote sensing of asteroids. Icarus 147:79–93. , , and
- 1977. Asteroid sizes and albedos. Icarus 31:185–220.
- 1979. Polarimetry and radiometry of the asteroids. In Asteroids, edited by Gehrels T. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 1090–1097. and
- 2008. Mineralogical analysis of the Eos family from near-infrared spectra. Icarus 195:277–294. , , , , and
- 2006. The size and albedo of Rosetta fly-by target 21 Lutetia from new IRTF measurements and thermal modeling. Astronomy & Astrophysics 447:1153–1158. , , , , , and
- 2007. Near infra-red spectroscopy of the asteroid 21 Lutetia. II. Rotationally resolved spectroscopy of the surface. Astronomy & Astrophysics 470:1157–1164. , , , , , , , and
- 2008. Observations of X/M asteroids across multiple wavelengths. Icarus 195:206–219. , , , , , , , , and
- 2010. The composition of M-type asteroids: Synthesis of spectroscopic and radar observations. Icarus 210:674–692. , , , , , , and
- 1993. Planetary radar astronomy. Reviews of Modern Physics 65:1235–1279.
- 1985. Mainbelt asteroids––Dual-polarization radar observations. Science 229:442–446. , , and
- 2000. Radar observations of asteroid 216 Kleopatra. Science 288:836–839. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. SpeX: A medium resolution 0.8-5.5 micron spectrograph and imager for the NASA Infrared Telescope Facility. The Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 115:362–382. , , , , , , , and
- 2004. Four years of good SpeX. Proceedings of the SPIE, Ground-based instrumentation for astronomy 5492:1498–1509. , , , and
- 2011. Mineralogical characterization of potential targets for the ASTEX mission scenario. Planetary and Space Science 59:772–778. , , , and
- 2007. The near-infrared spectroscopy of two main belt asteroids, 418 Alemannia and 504 Cora. M.S. thesis, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA. .
- 2007. The near-IR spectroscopy of two M-class main belt asteroids, 418 Alemannia and 504 Cora. Proceedings, 39th Division for Planetary Sciences Meeting. 477 p. , , and .
- 1995. Three-micron spectrometric survey of M- and E-class asteroids. Icarus 117:90–100. , , , , , and
- 2000. The nature of M-class asteroids from 3-micron observations. Icarus 145:351–368. , , , , and
- 1997. Mineralogy of meteorite groups. Meteoritics 32:231–247.
- 2004. Near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy of Ca-rich clinopyroxenes and prospects for remote spectral characterization of planetary surfaces. Icarus 168:80–92. , , and
- 1993. List of newly classified Antarctic meteorites. Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 16:14–18. and .
- 2008. A radar survey of M- and X-class asteroids. Icarus 195:184–205. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2010. A radar survey of M- and X-class asteroids II. Summary and synthesis. Icarus 208:221–237. , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1985. Effects of temperature on remotely sensed mineral absorption features. Journal of Geophysical Research 90:12434–12444. and
- 2006. Classification of iron bearing phyllosilicates based on ferric and ferrous iron absorption bands in the 400–1300 nm region (abstract #2185). 37th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , , and .
- 2002. The supplemental IRAS minor planet survey. The Astronomical Journal 123:1056–1085. , , , and
- 1984. Asteroid taxonomy from cluster analysis of photometry. Ph.D. thesis, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA. .
- 1989. Asteroid taxonomy. In Asteroids II, edited by Matthews M. S., Binzel R. P., and Gehrels T. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 298–315. .
- 2009. Plausible parent bodies for enstatite chondrites and mesosiderites: Implications for Lutetia’s fly-by. Icarus 202:477–486. , , , , , , and
- 1994. A cheaper, faster, better way to detect water of hydration on solar system bodies. Icarus 111:456–467.
- 2007. Asteroid lightcurve analysis at the Palmer Divide Observatory––December 2006–March 2007. Minor Planet Bulletin 34:72–77.
- 1975. Pyroxenes in the Patwar mesosiderite. Meteoritics 10:341–351.
- 1979. Proper elements and family memberships of the asteroids. In Asteroids, edited by Gehrels T. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 1040–1063. .
- 1989. Asteroid family identifications and proper elements. In Asteroids II, edited by Matthews M. S., Binzel R. P., and Gehrels T. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 1034–1072. .
- 1992. Asteroid families—An initial search. Icarus 96:251–280.
- 1990. Asteroid families. I––Identification by hierarchical clustering and reliability assessment. The Astronomical Journal 100:2030–2046. , , , and
- 1985. The eight-color asteroid survey––Results for 589 minor planets. Icarus 61:355–416. , , and .