Nicholas M. Short (July 18, 1927–June 12, 2011)
Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2011
© The Meteoritical Society, 2011
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 47, Issue 1, pages 158–162, January 2012
How to Cite
French, B. M. (2012), Nicholas M. Short (July 18, 1927–June 12, 2011). Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 47: 158–162. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01313.x
- Issue online: 3 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2011
Selected Bibliography (in Chronological Order)
- 1965. Comparisons of features characteristic of nuclear explosion craters and astroblemes. Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences 123:573–616.
- 1966a. Shock processes in geology. Journal of Geological Education 14:149–166.
- 1966b. Shock lithification of unconsolidated rock materials. Science 154:382–384.
- 1966c. Mechanical and optical effects of shock pressures from a nuclear explosion in granodiorite. Journal of Geophysical Research 71:1195–1215.
- 1968a. Failure of salt under explosive loading at the Winnfield, Louisiana salt mine. In Saline deposits: A symposium based on papers from the International Conference on Saline Deposits, Houston, Texas, 1962, edited by Mattox R. B., Holser W. T., Odé McIntire W. L., Short N. M., Taylor R. E., and Van Siclen D. C. GSA Special Paper 88. Boulder, CO: Geological Society of America. pp. 631–641. .
- 1968. Shock metamorphism of natural materials. Baltimore, MD: Mono Book Corporation. 644 p . and ., eds.
- 1968b. Nuclear-explosion-induced microdeformation of rocks: An aid to the recognition of meteorite impact structures. In Shock metamorphism of natural materials, edited by French B. M. and Short N. M. Baltimore, MD: Mono Book Corporation. pp. 185–210. .
- 1968c. Experimental microdeformation of rock materials by shock pressures from laboratory-scale impacts and explosions. In Shock metamorphism of natural materials, edited by French B. M. and Short N. M. Baltimore, MD: Mono Book Corporation. pp. 219–241. .
- 1968. Shock-wave damage of quartz as revealed by electron and incident-light microscopy. In Shock metamorphism of natural materials, edited by French B. M. and Short N. M. Baltimore, MD: Mono Book Corporation. pp. 483–494. , and .
- 1969. Shock metamorphism of basalt. Modern Geology 1:81–95.
- 1970a. Progressive shock metamorphism of quartzite ejecta from the Sedan nuclear explosion. The Journal of Geology 78:705–732.
- 1970b. The nature of the Moon’s surface: Evidence from shock metamorphism in Apollo 11 samples. Icarus 13:383–413. .
- 1970c. Evidence and implications of shock metamorphism in lunar samples. Science 167:673–675.
- 1970. Tenoumer crater, Mauritania: Age and petrologic evidence for origin by meteorite impact. Journal of Geophysical Research 75:4396–4406. , , , and
- 1970d. The anatomy of a meteorite crater: The West Hawk Lake structure, Manitoba, Canada. Geological Society of American Bulletin 81:609–648.
- 1971. Volcanic landforms and surface features: A photographic atlas and glossary. New York: Springer-Verlag. 519 p . and ., eds.
- 1972. Thickness of impact crater ejecta on the lunar surface. Modern Geology 3:69–91. and
- 1975. Planetary geology. New York: Prentice-Hall. 361 p. .
- 1976. Practical applications of Landsat data for Earth Resources surveys: Mineral and energy resources. NASA ERPO Report to the U.S. Congress. .
- 1976. Mission to Earth: Landsat views the world. Washington, DC: NASA Special Publication 360. 459 p. , , , and .
- 1982. The Landsat Tutorial Workbook. Washington, DC: NASA Reference Publication 1078. 533 p. .
- 1986. Geomorphology from space: A global overview of regional landforms. Washington, DC: NASA Special Publication 486. 717 p . and , eds.
- 1996. Petrography of shocked rocks from the central peak of the Manson impact structure. In The Manson impact structure, Iowa: Anatomy of an impact crater, edited by Koeberl C. and Anderson R. R. GSA Special Paper 302. Boulder, CO: Geological Society of America. pp. 245–265. and .
- 2004. The role of nuclear explosions in studies of meteorite impact craters. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:1405–1408.