Resolution of impact-related microstructures in lunar zircon: A shock-deformation mechanism map
Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2011
© The Meteoritical Society, 2011
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 47, Issue 1, pages 120–141, January 2012
How to Cite
TIMMS, N. E., REDDY, S. M., HEALY, D., NEMCHIN, A. A., GRANGE, M. L., PIDGEON, R. T. and HART, R. (2012), Resolution of impact-related microstructures in lunar zircon: A shock-deformation mechanism map. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 47: 120–141. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01316.x
- Issue online: 3 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2011
- (Received 03 June 2011; revision accepted 10 November 2011)
- 1985. Retention of U and Pb in zircons from shocked granite in the Siljan impact structure, Sweden. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 74:347–349. and
- 1972. A first report on deformation-mechanism maps. Acta Metallurgica 20:887–897.
- 2009. Formation of planar deformation features (PDFs) in zircon during coseismic faulting and an evaluation of potential effects on U-Pb systematics. Chemical Geology 261:25–31. and
- 1993. Impact-shocked zircons: Discovery of shock-induced textures reflecting increasing degrees of shock metamorphism. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 119:419–424. , , and
- 2010. A record of ancient cataclysm in modern sand: Shock microstructures in detrital minerals from the Vaal River, Vredefort Dome, South Africa. Geological Society of America Bulletin 122:1968–1980. , , , and
- 2004. Modeling damage and deformation in impact simulations. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:217–231. , , and
- 1998. Modeling the structure of zircon: Empirical potentials, ab initio electronic structure. Journal of Nuclear Materials 257:282–286. and
- 1990. Isotope systematics and shock-wave metamorphism: I. U-Pb in zircon, titanite and monazite, shocked experimentally up to 59 GPa. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 54:3427–3434. and
- 1994. Dating terrestrial impact events. Meteoritics 29:301–322. and
- 1965. Baddeleyite and its significance in impact glasses. Journal of Geophysical Research 70:3453–3456.
- 1999. Shock-induced phase transitions of ZrSiO4, reversion kinetics, and implications for impact heating in terrestrial craters. In American Physical Society, Conference on Shock Compression of Condensed Matter, June 28–July 2, 1999 (abstract #R5.01). Snowbird, Utah: American Physical Society.
- 1969. Distribution of shock-metamorphic features in the Sudbury Basin, Ontario, Canada. Meteoritics 4:173–174.
- 1982. Deformation-mechanism maps: The plasticity and creep of metals and ceramics. Oxford: Pergamon Press. and
- 1979. Phase transformations in ABO4 type compounds under high pressure. Physics and Chemistry of Minerals 5:167–177. and
- 2001. Discovery of high-pressure ZrSiO4 polymorph in naturally occurring shock-metamorphosed zircons. Geology 29:371–373. and
- 2009. Thermal history recorded by the Apollo 17 impact melt breccia 73217. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73:3093–3107. , , , , , and
- 2011. Complex 1 magmatic and impact history prior to 4.1 Ga recorded in zircon from Apollo 17 South Massif aphanitic breccia 73235. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 75:2213–2232. , , , , and
- 1976. Variations in shock deformation at the Slate Islands impact structure, Lake Superior, Canada. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 58:37–49. and
- 1996. Shock metamorphism of quartz in nature and experiment; II, Significance in geoscience. Meteoritics 31:6–35. , , and
- 2004. Infrared and Raman spectra of ZrSiO4 experimentally shocked at high pressures. Mineralogical Magazine 68:801–811. , , , , , and
- 1979. Crystal structure and compressibility of zircon at high pressure. American Mineralogist 64:196–201. and
- 1984. The elastic constants of crystals and other anisotropic materials. In Landolt-Börnstein Tables III, vol. 18, edited by Hellwege K. H. and Hellwege A. M. New York: Springer-Verlag. pp. 1–140.
- 1996. Recrystallization and related annealing phenomena. Oxford: Pergamon. and
- 1999. Sudbury impact event: Cratering mechanics and thermal history. In Large meteorite impacts and planetary evolution II, edited by Dessler B. and Grieve R. A. F. Special Paper 339. Washington, D.C.: Geological Society of America. pp. 389–397. and
- 1975. Consortium studies of matrix of light gray breccia 73215. Proceedings, 6th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 547–577. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2009. An appraisal of the ages of terrestrial impact structures. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 286:1–13. , , and
- 2011. Evolution of zircon deformation mechanisms in a shear zone (Lanzo massif, Western-Alps). Lithos 127(3-4):414–426. , , and
- 1996. A 2.023 Ga age for the Vredefort impact event and a first report of shock metamorphosed zircons in pseudotachylitic breccias and granophyre. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 144:369–387. , , , and
- The geochronology of impact craters. In Impact cratering: Processes and products, edited by Osinski G. R. and Peierazzo E. Milton Keynes: Open University. and Forthcoming.
- 1969. The breakdown of zircon observed in the Libyan desert glass as evidence of its impact origin. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 5:497–501.
- 1989. Deformation mechanisms-recognition from natural tectonites. Journal of Structural Geology 11:127–146.
- 1984. Precise U–Pb zircon and baddeleyite ages for the Sudbury area. In The geology and ore deposits of the sudbury structure, vol. 1, edited by Pye E. G., Naldret A. J., and Giblin P. E. Toronto: Ontario Geological Survey Special Publication. pp. 431–446. , , and
- 1993. U-Pb ages of single shocked zircons linking distal K/T ejecta to the Chicxulub crater. Nature 366:731–734. , , , , and
- 1985. Shock behavior of zircon: Phase transition to scheelite structure and decomposition. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 72:433–439. , , , and
- 1986. Structural considerations on the mechanism of the shock-induced zircon-scheelite transition in ZrSiO4. Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids 47:675–679. , , , and
- 2002. Shock metamorphism of some minerals: Basic introduction and microstructural observations. Bulletin of the Czech Geological Survey 77:265–282.
- 1994. Shock experiments on pre-heated α- and β-quartz: I. Optical and density data. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 125:407–420. and
- 1999. Experimental shock deformation in zircon: A transmission electron microscopic study. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 169:291–301. , , , , and
- 1979. High-pressure phase transformations in baddeleyite and zircon, with geophysical implications. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 44:390–396.
- 2009. Age of the zircons in the impact-melt breccia in SaU 169 lunar meteorite: Beijing SHRIMP II study (abstract #2499). 40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , , , and
- 2010. A 3.91 billion year age for Apollo 12 high-thorium impact melt breccias: Products of Imbrium, or an older impact basin in the Procellarum KREEP Terrane? (abstract #2477). 41st Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , , , and
- 1975. The boulder. Earth, Moon, and Planets 14:315–326.
- 1985. Impact cratering mechanics: Relationship between the shock wave and excavation flow. Icarus 62:339–343.
- 1989. Impact cratering: A geologic process. New York: Oxford University Press. 245 p.
- 1994. Catalogue of Apollo 17 Rocks Volume 4 North Massif - LPI Office of the Curator #87. JSC #26088. Houston, Texas: Lunar and Planetary Institute. 644 p.
- 1996. Uranium-lead ages for lunar zircons; evidence for a prolonged period of granophyre formation from 4.32 to 3.88 Ga. Meteoritics 31:370–387. , , and
- 2009. Zircon U-Pb strain chronometry reveals deep impact-triggered flow. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 277:73–79. , , , , and
- 2011. New zircon shock phenomena and their use for dating and reconstruction of large impact structures revealed by electron nanobeam (EBSD, CL, EDS) and isotopic U-Pb and (U-Th)/he analysis of the Vredefort dome. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 48:117–139. , , , , , , and
- 2009. Timing of crystallization of the lunar magma ocean constrained by the oldest zircon. Nature Geoscience 2:133–136. , , , , , and
- 2007. Complex history of a zircon aggregate from lunar breccia 73235. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71:1370–1381. , , , , , , and
- 2011. Comparison of structures in zircons from lunar and terrestrial impactites. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 48:107–116. , , and
- 2002. Mineral replacement reactions: From macroscopic observations to microscopic mechanisms. Mineralogical Magazine 66:689–708.
- 2006. Crystal-plastic deformation of zircon: A defect in the assumption of chemical robustness. Geology 34:257–260. , , , , , and
- 2007. Quantitative characterization of plastic deformation of zircon and geological implications. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 153:625–645. , , , and
- 2008. Electron backscatter diffraction analysis of zircon: A systematic assessment of match unit characteristics and pattern indexing optimization. American Mineralogist 93:187–197. , , and
- 2009. Deformation-related microstructures in magmatic zircon and implications for diffusion. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 157:231–244. , , , and
- 1969. Newly observed high pressure transformations in Mn3O4, CaAl2O4, and ZrSiO4. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 6:205–208. and
- 2002. Shocked and thermally metamorphosed zircon from the Vredefort impact structure, South Africa: A transmission electron microscopic study. European Journal of Mineralogy 14:859–868. , , and
- 1977. Shock attenuation at terrestrial impact structures. In Impact and explosion cratering: Planetary and terrestrial implications; Proceedings of the Symposium on Planetary Cratering Mechanics, Flagstaff, Ariz., September 13–17, 1976, edited by Roddy D. J., Pepin R. O., and Merrill R. B. New York: Pergamon Press, Inc. pp. 687–702. and
- 1993. Catalog of Apollo 17 rocks, Volume 1—Stations 2 and 3 (South Massif). LPI Office of Curator #87. JSC #26088. Houston, Texas: Lunar and Planetary Institute.
- 1975. Boulder 1, Station 2, Apollo 17: Petrology and petrogenesis. Earth, Moon, and Planets 14:327–357. , , , , and
- 1990. Isotope systematics and shock-wave metamorphism: II. U-Pb and Rb-Sr in naturally shocked rocks; the Haughton Impact Structure, Canada. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 54:3435–3447. and
- 1981. Apollo 17 impact melts and their relation to the Serenitatis basin. In Multi-ring basins: Formation and evolution. Proceedings, 12th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 133–148. and
- 1994. Shock metamorphism of quartz in nature and experiment; I, Basic observation and theory. Meteoritics 29:155–181. and
- 2001. Stratigraphy and isotope ages of lunar geologic units: Chronological standard for the inner solar system. Space Science Reviews 96:9–54. and
- 1963. High-pressure scheelite-structure polymorphs of rare-earth vanadites and arsenites. Zeitschrift für Kristallographie 119:90–97. and
- 1978. The crystal structure of the ThSiO4 polymorphs: Huttonite and thorite. Acta Crystallographica, Section B: Structural Science 34:1074–1079. and
- 2009. Response of cathodoluminescence to crystal-plastic deformation in zircon. Chemical Geology 261:11–23. and
- 2006. Enhanced diffusion of uranium and thorium linked to crystal plasticity in zircon. Geochemical Transactions 7:10. , , and
- 2010. Effects of crystallographic anisotropy on fracture development and acoustic emission in quartz. Journal of Geophysical Research 115:B07202. , , , , , and
- 2011. Relationship among titanium, rare earth elements, U-Pb ages and deformation microstructures in zircon: Implications for Ti-in-zircon thermometry. Chemical Geology 280:33–46. , , , , , and
- Inclusion-localised crystal-plasticity, dynamic porosity, and fast-diffusion pathway generation in zircon. Journal of Structural Geology, doi:10.1016/j.jsg.2011.11.005. , , , , and Forthcoming.
- 1971. The anisotropy of Young’s modulus, shear modulus and Poisson’s ratio in cubic materials. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 4:264–271. and
- 2000. Measuring strains using electron backscatter diffraction. In Electron backscatter diffraction in materials science, edited by Schwartz A. J., Kumar M., and Adams B. L. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum. pp. 231–246.
- 2006. Shock-metamorphosed zircon in terrestrial impact craters. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41:433–454. , , , and
- 1975. The nature and origin of Boulder 1, Station 2, Apollo 17. Earth, Moon, and Planets 14:505–517.