An emplacement mechanism for the mega-block zone within the Chicxulub crater, (Yucatán, Mexico) based on chemostratigraphy
Article first published online: 28 MAR 2012
© The Meteoritical Society, 2012
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 47, Issue 3, pages 400–413, March 2012
How to Cite
BELZA, J., GODERIS, S., KEPPENS, E., VANHAECKE, F. and CLAEYS, P. (2012), An emplacement mechanism for the mega-block zone within the Chicxulub crater, (Yucatán, Mexico) based on chemostratigraphy. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 47: 400–413. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01345.x
- Issue published online: 28 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 28 MAR 2012
- (Received 22 June 2011; revision accepted 02 February 2012)
- 1983. Stable isotopes of oxygen and carbon and their application to sedimentologic and paleoenvironmental problems. In Stable isotopes in sedimentary geology, SEPM short course 10, edited by Arthur M. A. Dallas: Society of Economic Paleontologists & Mineralogists. pp. 1.1–1.151. and
- 1979. Cretaceous oceanic anoxic events as causal factors in development of reef-reservoired giant oil-fields. Aapg Bulletin-American Association of Petroleum Geologists 63:870–885. and
- 1985. Variations in the global carbon cycle during the Cretaceous related to climate, volcanism, and changes in atmospheric CO2. In The carbon cycle and atmospheric CO2: Natural variations Archean to present, edited by Sundquist E. T. and Broecker W. S. Washington, D.C.: American Geophysical Union Monograph. pp. 504–529. , , and
- 2004. Stratigraphic and sedimentological observations from seismic data across the Chicxulub impact basin. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:1089–1098. , , , and
- 1982. Variation of seawater 87Sr/86Sr throughout Phanerozoic time. Geology 10:516–519. , , , , , and
- 2002. Hydrocode simulations of Chicxulub crater collapse and peak-ring formation. Icarus 157:24–33. , , , and
- 2009. Systematic evaluation of a strontium-specific extraction chromatographic resin for obtaining a purified Sr fraction with quantitative recovery from complex and Ca-rich matrices. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry 24:1498–1510. , , , , and
- 2002. Summary of the lithological report for ICDP/Chicxulub-Yax-1. ICDP/OSG GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam, Germany.
- 1972. Strontium isotope geology. New York: Springer-Verlag. 188 p. and
- 2002. Cathodoluminescence petrography and isotope geochemistry of K-T impact ejecta deposited 360 km from the Chicxulub crater, at Albion Island, Belize. Sedimentology 49:117–138. , , , , , , , , and
- 1998. Traces of Catastrophe: A Handbook of Shock-Metamorphic Effects in Terrestrial Meteorite Impact Structures. LPI Contribution 954. Houston, Texas: Lunar and Planetary Institute. 120 p.
- 2000. Chicxulub impact: The origin of reservoir and seal facies in the southeastern Mexico oil fields. Geology 28:307–310. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2008. Importance of pre-impact crustal structure for the asymmetry of the Chicxulub impact crater. Nature Geoscience 1:131–135. , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2003. Hydrothermal alteration of the impactites at the ICDP Drill Site Yax-1 (Chicxulub Crater) (abstract #1583). 34th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 1991. Chicxulub crater: A possible Cretaceous/Tertiary boundary impact crater on the Yucatán Peninsula, Mexico. Geology 19:867–871. , , , , , , and
- 2006. Secular variation in Late Cretaceous carbon isotopes: A new δ13C carbonate reference curve for the Cenomanian-Campanian (99.6–70.6 Ma). Geological Magazine 143:561–608. , , , and
- 2001. Seawater Strontium isotopes, oceanic anoxic events, and seafloor hydrothermal activity in the Jurassic and Cretaceous. American Journal of Science 301:112–149. and
- 2006. Target delamination by spallation and ejecta dragging: An example from the Ries crater’s periphery. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 252: 15–29. and
- 2003. Deformation features of the Cretaceous units of the ICDP-Chicxulub Drill Core Yax-1 (abstract #1368). 34th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , and
- 2004. Structure and impact indicators of the cretaceous sequence of the ICDP drill core Yaxcopoil-1, Chicxulub impact crater, Mexico. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:1069–1088. , , and
- 1985. The distribution of 13C of ΣCO2 in the world oceans. Deep Sea Research Part A. Oceanographic Research Papers 32:57–84.
- 2011. Marine carbon burial flux and the carbon isotope record of Late Cretaceous (Coniacian–Santonian) Oceanic Anoxic Event III. Sedimentary Geology 235:38–49. , , and
- 1975. Geological summary of the Yucatán Peninsula. In The ocean basins and margins, vol. 3: The gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, edited by Nairn A. E. M. and Stehli F. G. New York: Plenum. pp. 257–282.
- 2004. Fluid inclusion evidence for impact-related hydrothermal fluid and hydrocarbon migration in Creataceous sediments of the ICDP-Chicxulub drill core Yax-1. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:1187–1197. and
- 2001. Strontium isotope stratigraphy: LOWESS Version 3: Best fit to the marine Sr-isotope curve for 0–509 Ma and accompanying look-up table for deriving numerical age. The Journal of Geology 109:155–170. , , and
- 1997. Calcification generates protons for nutrient and bicarbonate uptake. Earth-Science Reviews 42:95–117. and
- 1989. Impact cratering: A geologic process. New York: Oxford University Press. 245 p.
- 1999. Impact crater collapse. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 27:385–415. and
- 1999. Chicxulub: The third dimension of a multi-ring impact basin. Geology 27:407–410. and
- 1997. Size and morphology of the Chicxulub impact crater. Nature 390:472–476. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2000. Peak-ring formation in large impact craters: Geophysical constraints from Chicxulub. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 183: 347–354. , , , , and
- 1969. Ore deposits as related to structural features. New York: Hafner Publishing Co Ltd. 280 p.
- 1996. Ejecta blanket deposits of the Chicxulub crater from Albion Island, Belize. In The Cretaceous–Tertiary event and other catastrophes in Earth history, edited by , , and GSA Special Paper 307. Boulder, Colorado: Geological Society of America. pp. 75–88. , , and
- 1999. Chicxulub impact ejecta from Albion Island, Belize. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 170:351–364. , , , , , , , , , and
- 1976. Cretaceous oceanic anoxic events: Causes and consequences. Geologie En Mijnbouw 55: 179–184. and
- 1980. Evaporites. In Developments in petroleum geology, edited by Hobson G. D. London: Applied Science Publishers. pp. 87–138. and
- 2007. Introduction and overview. In Evaporites through space and time, edited by Schreiber B. C., Lugli S., and Babel M. Bath: The Geological Society. pp. 1–15. , , and
- 2010. The Chicxulub asteroid impact and mass extinction at the Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary. Science 327:1214–1218. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1994. Seawater Sr isotope variations through time: A procedure for constructing a reference curve to date and correlate marine sedimentary rocks. Geology 22:431–434. , , , , , , and
- 1999. The global stratigraphy of the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary impact ejecta. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 27:75–113.
- 2004. Yaxcopoil-1 and the Chicxulub impact. International Journal of Earth Sciences 93:1042–1065. , , , , , , and
- 2004. Origin and emplacement of the impact formations at Chicxulub, Mexico, as revealed by the ICDP deep drilling at Yaxcopoil-1 and by numerical modeling. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:1035–1067. , , , , , , , and
- 1991. Long-term reproducibility of multi-collector Sr and Nd isotope ratio analysis. Chemical Geology 94:85–104.
- 1996. UNAM scientific drilling program of Chicxulub Impact structure: Evidence for a 300 kilometer crater diameter. Geophysical Research Letters 23:1565–1568. , , and
- 2004. The Chicxulub Scientific Drilling Project (CSDP). Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:787–790. , , , and
- 1989. Strontium isotopes in seawater through time. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 17:141–167.
- 1999. 87Sr/86Sr, δ13C and δ18O evolution of Phanerozoic seawater. Chemical Geology 161:59–88. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1995. Yucatan subsurface stratigraphy: Implications and constraints for the Chicxulub impact. Geology 23:873–876. , , , and
- 2007. Trace element concentrations in the Mexico-Belize ejecta layer: A link between the Chicxulub impact and the global Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 42:1871–1882. , , and
- 2004. Impact-related dike breccia lithologies in the ICDP drill core Yaxcopoil-1, Chicxulub impact structure, Mexico. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:931–954. , , , , and
- 2004. Hydrothermal alteration in the core of the Yaxcopoil-I borehole, Chicxulub impact structure, Mexico. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:1199–1221. and