An investigation of Martian northern high-latitude and polar impact crater interiors: Atypical interior topographic features and cavity wall slopes
Article first published online: 21 MAY 2012
© The Meteoritical Society, 2012
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 47, Issue 6, pages 970–991, June 2012
How to Cite
FAGAN, A. L. and SAKIMOTO, S. E. H. (2012), An investigation of Martian northern high-latitude and polar impact crater interiors: Atypical interior topographic features and cavity wall slopes. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 47: 970–991. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01365.x
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 21 MAY 2012
- (Received 15 March 2011; revision accepted 05 April 2012)
- 2000. Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter: Receiver model and performance analysis. Applied Optics 39:2449–2460. , , and
- 2005. Evidence for subsurface water ice in Korolev crater, Mars. Icarus 174:360–372. , , and
- 2006. Impact craters in the northern hemisphere of Mars: Layered ejecta and central pit characteristics. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41:1425–1436.
- 2007. Geometric relationships of pristine Martian complex impact craters, and their implications to Mars geologic history. Geophysical Research Letters 34:L16201, doi: 10.1029/2007GL029731. and
- 2006. Deep impact craters in the Isidis and southwestern Utopia Planitia regions of Mars: High target material strength as a possible cause. Geophysical Research Letters 33:L06202, doi:10.1029-2005GL024462. , , , and
- 2008. Louth crater: Evolution of a layered water ice mound. Icarus 196:433–445. , , , and
- 2009. Pingos on Earth and Mars. Planetary and Space Science 57:541–555. , , and
- 1996. Rover mobility and sampling strategy on Mars: The case for Gusev crater (abstract). 27th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. p. 189. , , , , , , and
- 2003. Oceans on Mars: An assessment of the observational evidence and possible fate. Journal of Geophysical Research 108:8-1–8-28, doi:10.1029/2002JE001963. and
- 2011. The origin and evolution of ice domes in the north polar region of Mars (abstract #2030). 42nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , , and
- 2010. Formation constraints on Martian north polar volcanic edifices. Journal of Geophysical Research 115:E07013. , , and
- 2005. Origin and characteristics of the Mars north polar basal unit and implications for polar geologic history. Icarus 174:444–474. and
- 2002. Ancient lowlands on Mars. Geophysical Research Letters 29:22-1–22-4, doi:10.1029/2001GL013832. , , , , and
- 1992. Ranging performance of satellite laser altimeters. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 30:1061–1072.
- 2000. North polar region craterforms on Mars: Geometric characteristics from the Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter. Icarus 144:329–352. , , , and
- 2003. Craters on Mars: Global geometric properties from gridded MOLA topography (abstract #3277). 6th International Conference on Mars. CD-ROM. , , and
- 1987. Geologic map of the eastern equatorial region of Mars. Miscellaneous Investigations Series Map I-1802-B. Reston, VA: US Geological Survey. and
- 2009. Aeolian dunes as ground truth for atmospheric modeling on Mars. Journal of Geophysical Research 114:E110112. , , , , , and
- 2009. Ice filled craters in Mars’ north polar region—Implications for sub-surface volatiles (abstract #2042). 40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , and
- 2006. Recent high-latitude icy mantle in the northern plains of Mars: Characteristics and ages of emplacement. Geophysical Research Letters 33:L11201, doi:10.1029/2006GL025946. , , and
- 2002. Fate of outflow channel effluents in the northern lowlands of Mars: The Vastitas Borealis Formation as a sublimation residue from frozen ponded bodies of water. Journal of Geophysical Research 107:4-1–4-25, doi:10.1029/2001JE001831. and
- 2003. North-South topographic slope asymmetry on Mars: Evidence for insolation-related erosion at high obliquity. Geophysical Research Letters 30:1-1–1-4, doi:10.1029/2003GL017795. and .
- 2006. Modification of impact craters in the northern plains of Mars: Implications for Amazonian climate history. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41:1633–1646. and
- 2010a. Concentric crater fill in the northern mid-latitudes of Mars: Formation processes and relationships to similar landforms of glacial origin. Icarus 209:390–404, doi:10.1016/j.icarus.2010.03.036. , , and
- 2010b. Thermal contraction crack polygons on Mars: A synthesis from HiRISE, Phoenix, and terrestrial analog studies. Icarus 206:229–252, doi: 10.1016/j.icarus.2009.09.005. , , and
- 2001. Mars global surveyor Mars orbiter camera: Interplanetary cruise through primary mission. Journal of Geophysical Research 106:23429–23570. and
- 2012. A morphometric analysis of Martian impact craters 21–30 km in diameter (abstract #2848). 43rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 1989. Impact Cratering: A Geological Process. New York: Oxford University Press. 245 p.
- 2010. Planetary surface dating from crater size-frequency distribution measurements: Partial resurfacing events and statistical age uncertainty. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 294:223–229. and
- 2012. Internal structure of the domed deposit within Korolev crater, Mars from radar sounding (abstract #2894). 43rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 1975. Cratering in the earth-moon system—Consequences for age determination by crater counting. Proceedings, 6th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 2597–2620. , , , and
- 2001. Crossover analysis of Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter data. Journal of Geophysical Research 106:23753–23768. , , , , and
- 1989. Transitional morphology in the west Deuteronilus Mensae region of Mars: Implications for modification of the lowland/upland boundary. Icarus 82:111–145. , , and
- 1993. Coastal geomorphology of the Martian northern plains. Journal of Geophysical Research 98:11061–11078. , , , , and
- 2009. North-south asymmetry in Martian crater slopes. Journal of Geophysical Research 114:E02002. and
- 2004. GRIDVIEW: Recent improvements in research and education software for exploring mars topography (abstract #1833). 35th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 2005. Circum-polar craters with interior deposits on Mars: Polar region geologic, volatile, and climate history with implications for ground ice signature in Arabia Terra (abstract #1541). 36th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. and
- 2004. Evolution of ice deposits in the local environment of Martian circum-polar craters and implications for polar cap history (abstract #2007). 35th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and .
- 2005. Central mounds in Martian impact craters: Assessment as possible perennial permafrost mounds (pingos) (abstract #2099). 36th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. .
- 2001. Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter: Experiment summary after the first year of global mapping of Mars. Journal of Geophysical Research 106:23689–23772, doi:10.1029/2000JE001364. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2008. The Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter dataset: Limitations and improvements. The International Journal of Mars Science and Exploration 4:14–26, doi:10.1555/mars.2008.0002. , , and
- 1987. Geologic Map of the Polar Regions of Mars Miscellaneous Investigations Series Map I-1802-C. Denver, CO: US Geological Survey. and
- 2003. Resurfacing history of the northern plains of Mars based on geologic mapping of Mars Global Surveyor data. Journal of Geophysical Research 108:GDS 24-1–GDS 24-32. , , , , and
- 2005. Geologic Map of the Northern Plains of Mars. Scientific Investigations Map 2888. Denver, CO: US Geological Survey. , , and
- 1995. Polar margin dunes and winds on Mars. Journal of Geophysical Research 100:5397–5406. and
- 1992. Polar deposits of Mars. In Mars, edited by Kieffer H. H., Jakosky B., Snyder C. and Matthews M. Tucson, Arizona: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 767–795. , , , , and .
- 1979. Mars: The north polar sand sea and related wind patterns. Journal of Geophysical Research 84:8167–8180. , , and
- 2009. Southern circumpolar crater ice deposits on Mars (abstract #2147). 40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and .
- 1992. The Mars Observer laser altimeter investigation. Journal of Geophysical Research 97:7781–7797. , , , , , , , and