An (U-Th)/He age for the shallow-marine Wetumpka impact structure, Alabama, USA
Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2012
© The Meteoritical Society, 2012
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 47, Issue 8, pages 1243–1255, August 2012
How to Cite
WARTHO, J.-A., VAN SOEST, M. C., KING, D. T. and PETRUNY, L. W. (2012), An (U-Th)/He age for the shallow-marine Wetumpka impact structure, Alabama, USA. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 47: 1243–1255. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01381.x
- Issue online: 15 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2012
- (Received 12 January 2012; revision accepted 27 May 2012)
- 1998. Impact into unconsolidated, water-rich sediments at the Marquez Dome, Texas. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 33:1053–1064. , , and
- 2005. Earth impact effects program: A web-based computer program for calculating the regional environmental consequences of a meteoroid impact on Earth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:817–840. , , and
- 1975. The mathematics of diffusion. London: Oxford University Press. 414 p. .
- 1994. Dating terrestrial impact events. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 29:301–322. and
- 2003. Sedimentary signatures and processes during marine bolide events: A review. Sedimentary Geology 161:309–337. and
- Earth Impact Database. 2012. http://www.unb.ca./passc/ImpactDatabase/PlanetaryandSpaceScienceCentre .University of New Brunswick. Accessed January 2012.
- 2005. Determination of uranium and thorium in zircon, apatite, and fluorite: Application to laser (U-Th)/He thermochronology. Journal of Analytical Chemistry 60:1159–1165. , , , and
- 2000. Helium diffusion from apatite: General behavior as illustrated by Durango fluorapatite. Journal of Geophysical Research 106(B2):2903–2914. .
- 2002. (U-Th)/He dating: Techniques, calibrations, and applications. In Noble gases in geochemistry and cosmochemistry, edited by Procelli D., Ballentine C. J., and Wieler R. Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, vol. 47. Washington D.C.: The Mineralogical Society of America. pp. 819–844. .
- 1996. The effects of long alpha-stopping distances on (U-Th)/He ages. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 60:4223–4229. , , and
- 2007. Radiation damage control on apatite (U-Th)/He dates from the Grand Canyon region, Colorado Plateau. Geology 35:447–450. , , , and
- 1998. Traces of catastrophe: A handbook of shock-metamorphic effects in terrestrial meteorite impact structures. LPI Contribution 954. Houston: Lunar Planetary Institute. 120 p. .
- 2011. Emplacement temperature of the impact breccia at Haughton impact crater (abstract #5284). 74th Meteoritical Society Meeting. 8–12 August 2012. London. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 46. , , , and .
- 2004. A geologic time scale. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 599 p. , , and .
- 1996. 40Ar* diffusion in Fe-rich biotite. American Mineralogist 81:940–951. and .
- 1988. Mesozoic and Cenozoic chronostratigraphy and eustatic cycles. In Sea-level changes: An integrated approach, edited by Wilgis C. K., Hastings B. S., Bendall G. C. St. C., Posamentier H. W., Ross C. A., and van Wagoner J. C. Tulsa, Oklahoma: Society of Economic Paleonologists and Mineralogists Special Publications 42. pp. 71–108. , , and .
- 2005. U-Th zonation-dependent alpha-ejection in (U-Th)/He chronometry. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 69:3349–3365. , , and
- 2005. Cooling of the Kärdla impact crater: II. Impact and geothermal modeling. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:21–33. , , , , and
- 2007. Wetumpka impact structure modeled as the exposed remains of a large, shallow-water, marine-target crater for analysis and interpretation of two drill cores taken from near the structure’s geographical center. Master’s thesis, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, USA. .
- 2006. Shock metamorphic characteristics and age of the Wetumpka impact structure, Alabama (abstract). Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs 38:3, 82. , , , and
- 1997. The Wetumpka impact crater and the Late Cretaceous impact record, vol. 34c. Tuscaloosa: Alabama Geological Society Guidebook. pp. 25–56. .
- 2011. The marine-target Wetumpka impact structure examined in the field and by shallow core-hole drilling. In Analogs for planetary exploration, edited by Garry W. B. and Bleacher J. E. GSA Special Publication 483. Boulder, Colorado: Geological Society of America. pp. 287–300. and .
- 2002. Shallow marine-impact origin for the Wetumpka structure. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 202:541–549. , , , , and
- 2003. Crater-filling sediments of the Wetumpka marine-target impact crater (Alabama, USA). In Cratering in marine environments and on ice, edited by Dypvik H., Burchell M. J., and Claeys P. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. pp. 97–113. , , and .
- 2006a. Paleobiotic effects of the Late Cretaceous Wetumpka marine impact, a 7.6 km diameter impact structure, Gulf Coastal Plain, USA. In Biotic effects of impacts, edited by Cockell C. S. Berlin: Springer. pp. 121–142. , , and .
- 2006b. Role of water in the formation of Late Cretaceous Wetumpka impact structure, inner Gulf Coastal Plain of Alabama, USA. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41:1625–1631. , , , and
- 2007. Ecosystem perturbation caused by the Late Cretaceous marine impact, Gulf Coastal Plain, USA. GSA Special Paper 424. Boulder, Colorado: Geological Society of America. pp. 97–107. , , and .
- 2009. Permian to Cretaceous evolution of the Piedmont along the Alabama-Georgia Coastal Plan unconformity. Master’s thesis, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, USA. .
- 2008. User’s manual for Isoplot 3.70: A geochronological toolkit for Microsoft Excel. Berkeley, California: Berkeley Geochronology Center Special Publication 4. 77 p. .
- 1988. Sequence stratigraphy and biostratigraphy of Upper Cretaceous strata of the Alabama Coast Plain. In Sequence stratigraphy and biostratigraphy of Upper Cretaceous strata of the Alabama Coastal Plain: Tuscaloosa, edited by Mancini E. A. and Puckett T. M. Tuscaloosa: Alabama Geological Society Guidebook. 35. pp. 1–12. , , , , and .
- 2010. Online Earth Impact Effects program. http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEffects/. , , and .
- 1979. Age and intensity of thermal events by fission track analysis: The Ries impact crater. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 43:351–358. and
- 2006. Goat Paddock, Western Australia: An impact crater near the simple-complex transition. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences 52:689–697. and
- 2002. Impact-generated hydrothermal systems: Data from Popogai, Kara, and Puchezh-Katunki impact structures. In Impacts in Precambrian shields, edited by Plado J. and Pesonen L. Berlin: Springer. pp. 117–171. .
- 1976. Cryptoexplosive structure near Wetumpka, Alabama. Geological Society of America Bulletin 87:567–573. , , and
- 2008. The concise geologic time scale. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 150 p. , , and .
- 2005. Zircon (U-Th)/He thermochronometry. In Low-temperature thermochronology: Techniques, interpretations, and applications, edited by Reiners P. W. and Ehlers T. A. Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, vol. 58. Washington D.C.: The Mineralogical Society of America. pp. 151–179. .
- 2002. He diffusion and (U-Th)/He thermochronometry of zircon: Initial results from Fish Canyon Tuff and Gold Butte. Tectonophysics 349:297–308. , , and
- 2004. Zircon (U-Th)/He thermochronometry: He diffusion and comparisons with 40Ar/39Ar dating. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 68:1857–1887. , , , and
- 1990. Isotope systematics and shock-wave metamorphism: II. U-Pb and Rb-Sr in naturally shocked rocks; the Haughton Impact Structure, Canada. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 54:3435–3447. and
- 2008. Dating impact craters: Palaeogeographic versus isotopic and stratigraphic methods—A brief case study. Geological Magazine 145:586–590. , and
- 2008. Helium loss from Martian meteorites mainly induced by shock metamorphism: Evidence from new data and a literature compilation. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43:1841–1859. , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1998. Uplift and erosion of the San Bernardino Mountains associated with transpression along the San Andreas fault, California, as constrained by radiogenic helium thermochronometry. Tectonics 17:360–378. , , and
- 2012. Geochronological dating of a small and young impact structure—Monturaqui Crater, Chile. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. , , , , , and .
- 2011. (U-Th)/He dating of terrestrial impact structures: The Manicouagan example. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 12:Q0AA16, doi:1029/2010GC003465. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Cooling of the Kärdla impact crater: I. The mineral paragenetic sequence observation. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:3–19. , , , and
- 1975. The age of the Rochechouart impact structure. Meteoritics 10:503–504. and
- 2010. Updated (U-Th)/He zircon ages for the Lake Saint Martin impact structure (Manitoba, Canada) and implications for the Late Triassic multiple impact theory (abstract #1930). 41st Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. The Kentland impact crater, Indiana (USA): An apatite fission-track age determination attempt. In Impact tectonics, edited by Koeberl C. and Henkel D. H. Berlin: Springer. pp. 447–466. , , , , and .