[This article was corrected on August 7th 2012 after initial online publication. Author name M. Arif was changed to Md. Arif in every instance throughout the text.]
Variations in magnetic properties of target basalts with the direction of asteroid impact: Example from Lonar crater, India
Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2012
© The Meteoritical Society, 2012
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 47, Issue 8, pages 1305–1323, August 2012
How to Cite
ARIF, Md., BASAVAIAH, N., MISRA, S. and DEENADAYALAN, K. (2012), Variations in magnetic properties of target basalts with the direction of asteroid impact: Example from Lonar crater, India. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 47: 1305–1323. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01395.x
- Issue online: 15 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2012
- (Received 27 May 2011; revision accepted 06 June 2012)
- 2011. Variation of primary magnetization of basaltic target rocks due to asteroid impact: Example from Lonar crater, India (abstract #1751). 42nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , and .
- 1972. Palaeomagnetic results on Deccan Trap lavas of the Aurangabad region and their tectonic significance. Tectonophysics 14:87–103. and
- 2011. Geomagnetism: Solid earth and upper atmosphere perspectives. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer Publisher. 486 p. .
- 1997. The internal structure of lava flows-insights from AMS measurements II: Hawaiian pahoehoe, toothpaste lava and ‘a’ā. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 76:19–46. , , and .
- 2005. Palaeomagnetism of the Vredefort meteorite crater and implications for craters on Mars. Nature 435:198–201. , , and
- 2006. Low-temperature magnetic behavior of multidomain titanomagnetites: TM0, TM16, and TM35. Journal of Geophysical Research 111:B12S05. , , , , , and
- 2007. 40K-40Ar dating of the Main Deccan large igneous province: Further evidence of KTB age and short duration. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 263:1–15. , , , , and
- 1981. Interacting vs. non-interacting single-domain behavior in natural and synthetic samples. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 26:56–62.
- 1978. The effect of shock on the magnetism of terrestrial rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research 83:3441–3458. and
- 2003. On the ages of flood basalt events. Comptes Rendus Geoscience 335:113–140. and
- 2000. Cosmic markers, 40Ar/39Ar dating and paleomagnetism of the KT sections in the Anjar area of the Deccan large igneous province. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 182:137–156. , , , , , , , and
- 2010. The first description and confirmation of the Vista Alegre impact structure in the Paraná flood basalts of southern Brazil. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45:181–194. , , , and
- 1981. Relationship between medium destructive field and remanent coercive forces for dispersed natural magnetite, titanomagnetite and hematite. Geophysical Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society 64:447–461.
- 1977. Hysteresis properties of titanomagnetites: Grain size and composition dependence. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 13:260–267. , , and
- 2002. Theory and application of the Day plot (Mrs/Ms versus Hcr/Hc) 1. Theoretical curves and tests using titanomagnetite data. Journal of Geophysical Research 107:B2056.
- 1983. Circular structure Logancha as possible meteorite crater in basalts of the Tunguska syneclise. Proceedings, 14th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 191–192. , , , , and
- 1973. Lonar Lake, India: An impact crater in basalt. Science 180:862–864. , , , and
- 1979. Petrology, mineralogy, and distribution of Lonar (India) and lunar impact breccias and glasses. Smithsonian Contributions to the Earth Sciences 22:1–13. , , , , , and
- 1980. Morphology of Lonar crater, India: Comparisons and implications. The Moon and the Planets 23:493–515. , , , and
- 1988. NRM:IRM(S) demagnetization plots; An aid to the interpretation of natural remanent magnetization. Geophysical Research Letters 15:518–521. , , , , , and
- 2004. Toward a robust normalized magnetic paleointensity method applied to meteorites. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 227:377–393. and
- 1978. Experimental studies of oblique impact. Proceedings, 9th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 3843–3875. and .
- 2003. Is Lonar astrobleme an example of cometary impact? Indian Minerals 57:105–114.
- 2003. Petrography and petrochemistry of impact melts from Lonar crater, Buldana district, Maharashtra, India. Indian Minerals 57:1–26. and
- 1896. The origin of hypotheses, illustrated by the discussion of a topographic problem. Science 3:1–13. .
- 2003. Hydrothermal alteration at the Lonar Lake impact structure, India: Implications for impact cratering on Mars. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:365–381. and
- 2000. 40Ar/39Ar dating of mineral separates and whole rocks from the Western Ghats lava pile: Further constraints on duration and age of the Deccan Traps. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 180:13–27. , , and
- 2006. Low-field variation of magnetic susceptibility as a tool for magnetic mineralogy of rocks. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 154:323–336. , , and
- IGRF, International Geomagnetic Reference Field. 2011. http://wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.up/igrf/index.html
- 1958. Lonar lake and its salinity. Records of the Geological Survey of India 85:313–334. and
- 2011. 40Ar/39Ar age of the Lonar crater and consequence for the geochronology of planetary impacts. Geology 39:671–674. , , , and
- 1976. Shocked basalt from Lonar Impact Crater, India, and experimental analogues. Proceedings, 7th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 1391–1412. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Magnetic remanence in the Murchison meteorite. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:399–405. , , and
- 2004. An empirical scaling law for acquisition of thermoremanent magnetization. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 226:521–528. , , , , and
- 1968. Geology of India and Burma. Madras: Higginbothams. .
- 2005. Structural effects of meteorite impact on basalt: Evidence from Lonar crater, India. Journal of Geophysical Research 110:B12402.
- 1964. Lonar crater, India, a meteorite crater? Meteoritics 2:111–116. and
- 2008. Paleomagnetism of Lonar impact crater, India. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 275:308–319. , , , , , and
- 2010. Geology of Lonar crater, India. Geological Society of America Bulletin 122:109–126. , , , , , , , and
- 1999. Impact structures of northeastern Eurasia: The territories of Russia and adjacent countries. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 34:691–711.
- 2009. Geochemical identification of impactor for Lonar crater, India. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 7:1001–1018. , , , , , and
- 2010. Structural and anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility (AMS) evidence for oblique impact on terrestrial basalt flows: Lonar crater, India. Geological Society of America Bulletin 122:563–574. , , , , and
- 1978. Lonar crater glasses and high-magnesium australites: Trace element volatilization and meteoritic contamination. Proceedings, 9th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2713–2730. .
- 1961. Origin of the Lonar lake and its alkalinity. Tata Iron and Steel Company (TISCO) 8:1–12. and
- 1972. Glassy objects (impactite glasses?) a possible new evidence for meteoritic origin of the Lonar crater, Maharashtra State, India. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 14:1–6.
- 2007. Rock magnetic study of basalt at Lonar impact crater in India: Effects of stress waves on rock magnetic properties. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis. The Graduate University for Advanced Studies, Tokyo, Japan. .
- 2008. Irreversible changes in anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility: Study of basalts from Lonar crater and experimentally impacted basaltic andesite (abstract #5207). Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43, Matsue, Japan. and .
- 2007. Shock-induced anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility: Impact experiment on basaltic andesite. Earth, Planets and Space 59:e45–e48. , , and
- 2005. Target rocks, impact glasses, and melt rocks from the Lonar impact crater, India: Petrography and geochemistry. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:1473–1492. , , , , and
- 1971. Palaeomagnetism of the Deccan Trap flows of Jalna, India. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 11:109–112. and
- 2004. 40Ar-39Ar age of a lava flow from the Bhimashankar Formation, Giravali Ghat, Deccan Traps. Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth and Planetary Sciences) 113:755–758. , , , , and
- 1974. The diversity of magnetized particles in a single lava. Geophysical Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society 38:225–236.
- 1997. Magnetic properties of diabase samples shocked experimentally in the 4.5 to 35 GPa range (abstract #1370). 38th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , and .
- 2000. Understanding oblique impacts from experiments, observations, and modeling. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 28:141–167. and
- 1978. Nature of magnetic grains in basalts and implications for palaeomagnetism. Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences 87A:235–243. , , , and
- 1982. On the complex magnetic behaviour of titanomagnetites. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 30:281–290. , , , and
- 2005. Analysis of gravity and magnetic anomalies over Lonar lake, India: An impact crater in a basalt province. Current Science 88:1836–1840. and
- 1984. Lonar lake: Palaeomagnetic evidence of shock origin. Geophysical Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society 77:847–862. and
- 2002. 40Ar/39Ar dates from the West Siberian Basin: Siberian flood basalt province doubled. Science 296:1846–1849. , , , , , , and
- 2007. Chemical variation in Lonar impact glasses and impactites. GFF 129:161–176. and
- 1978. A chemical study of the impact glasses and basalts from Lonar crater, India. Meteoritics 13:201–208. , , , and
- 1993. The magnetic anisotropy of rocks. London: Chapman & Hall. 212 p. and
- 2005. Magnetization on impact structures—Constraints from numerical modeling and petrophysics. Geological Society of America Special Paper 384:25–42. , , and
- 2008. Rock magnetism and magnetic fabrics of impact polymictic breccias and melt from the Chicxulub crater, Mexico (abstract #A11485). European Geosciences Union General Assembly 10:EGU2008-A-11485. and
- 1991. Paleomagnetism and age determinations of the Deccan traps (India): Results of a Nagpur–Bombay traverse and review of earlier work. Reviews of Geophysics 29:159–190. , , , and
- 1967. Geology and origin of the Lonar crater, Maharashtra. Records of the Geological Survey of India 97:30–45.
- 2000. Aspects of the validation of magnetic remanence in meteorites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 35:537–544. and
- 2007. Paleomagnetism of impact glass from Lonar crater, India (abstract #2360). 38th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Paleomagnetism of impact spherules from Lonar crater, India and a test for impact-generated fields. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 298:66–76. , , , , , , and
- 2001. Large igneous provinces and mass extinctions. Earth Science Reviews 53:1–33.
- 2006. How accurately can NRM/SIRM determine the ancient planetary magnetic field intensity? Earth and Planetary Science Letters 250:27–37.