Northwest Africa 4797: A strongly shocked ultramafic poikilitic shergottite related to compositionally intermediate Martian meteorites
Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2012
© The Meteoritical Society, 2012
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 47, Issue 9, pages 1449–1474, September 2012
How to Cite
WALTON, E. L., IRVING, A. J., BUNCH, T. E. and HERD, C. D. K. (2012), Northwest Africa 4797: A strongly shocked ultramafic poikilitic shergottite related to compositionally intermediate Martian meteorites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 47: 1449–1474. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01407.x
- Issue online: 26 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2012
- (Received 18 March 2011; revision accepted 20 July 2012)
- 1969. Shock compression of feldspars. Journal of Geophysical Research 74:2727–2746. , , and
- 1988. Mg/Mn partitioning as a test for equilibrium between coexisting Fe-Ti oxides. American Mineralogist 73:57–61. and
- 2002. Petrology and chemistry of the basaltic shergottite Northwest Africa 480. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37:487–499. , , , , , , , , and
- 2005. Timescales of shock processes in chondritic and Martian meteorites. Nature 435:1071–1074. , , , and
- 2007. Shock-induced compaction, melting, and entrapment of atmospheric gases in Martian meteorites. Geophysical Research Letters 34:L01203. , , and
- 2009. Experimental study of polybaric REE partitioning between olivine, pyroxene and melt of the Yamato 980459 composition: Insights into the petrogenesis of depleted shergottites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73:3471–3492. and
- 1983. Martian gases in an Antarctic meteorite. Science 221:651–654. and
- 1967. The iron-titanium oxides of salic volcanic rocks and their associated ferromagnesian silicates. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 14:36–64.
- 1977. Ringwoodite and majorite in the Catherwood meteorite. Canadian Mineralogist 15:97–101.
- 2008. The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 93. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43:A571–A632. , , , , , , , and
- 2001. The terrestrial alteration of Saharan shergottites Dar al Gani 476 and 489: A case study of weathering in a hot desert environment. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 65:971–977. and
- 1997. Chemical composition of Y-793605, a Martian lherzolite. Antarctic Meteorite Research 10:83–94. , , and .
- 1991. Ce anomalies in the LEW 85300 eucrite; evidence for REE mobilization during Antarctic weathering. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 107:13–24. and
- 2005. Ejection of Martian meteorites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:1393–1411. , , and
- 2008. Thermodynamics of rhombohedral oxide solid solutions and a revision of the Fe-Ti two-oxide geothermometer and oxygen-barometer. American Journal of Science 308:957–1039. and
- 2005. Petrology, geochemistry, and cosmic-ray exposure age of lherzolitic shergottite Northwest Africa 1950. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:1175–1184. , , , , , , , and
- 1997. Petrography and bulk chemistry of Martian lherzolite LEW 88516. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 61:4007–4014. , , , and
- 2002. Sayh al Uhaymir 094; a new Martian meteorite from the Oman Desert. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37:835–854. , , , , , and
- 2002. Olivine-phyric Martian basalts: A new type of shergottite. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37:B31–B34.
- 2003. Spinels and oxygen fugacity in olivine-phyric and lherzolitic shergottites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:1773–1792. , , and
- 2004. Petrology and shock metamorphism of the olivine-phyric shergottite Yamato 980459: Evidence for a two-stage cooling and a single-stage ejection history. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 68:2359–2377. , , and
- 1993. Petrography, mineral chemistry, and petrogenesis of antarctic shergottite LEW 88516. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 57:4769–4783. , , , and
- 2001. Insights into Martian magmatism gained from Martian meteorites: Emphasis on spinel, olivine, and phase equilibria. Ph.D. thesis, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. .
- 2003. The oxygen fugacity of olivine-phyric Martian basalts and the components within the mantle and crust of Mars. Meteoritics and Planetary Science 38:1793–1805.
- 2004. Oxygen in Martian meteorites: A review of results from mineral equilibria oxybarometersm (abstract #3026). Workshop on Oxygen in the Terrestrial Planets. CD-ROM. .
- 2006. Insights into the redox history of the NWA 1068/1110 Martian basalt from mineral equilibria and vanadium oxybarometry. American Mineralogist 91:1616–1627.
- 2008. Basalts as probes of planetary interior redox state. In Oxygen in the solar system, edited by Rosso J. J. Reviews in Mineralogy, vol. 68. Washington, D.C.: Mineralogical Society of America. pp. 527–553.
- 2001. Oxygen fugacity of Martian basalts from electron microprobe oxygen and TEM-EELS analyses of Fe-Ti oxides. American Mineralogist 86:1015–1024. , , and
- 2002. Oxygen fugacity and geochemical variations in the Martian basalts: Implications for Martian basalt petrogenesis and the oxidation state of the upper mantle of Mars. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 66:2025–2036. , , , and
- 2012. Noble gas cosmic ray exposure ages of four unusual Martian meteorites: Shergottites NWA 4797, NWA 5990, NWA 6342 and nakhlite NWA 5790 (abstract #1408). 43rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , and .
- 1997. Petrology and mineralogy of the Y-793605 Martian meteorite. Antarctic Meteorite Research 10:13–40. .
- 2006. Petrology of a new basaltic shergottite: Dhofar 378. Antarctic Meteorite Research 19:20–44. , , , , , , , , and
- 2008. Unique ultramafic shergottite Northwest Africa 4797; a highly shocked Martian wehrlite cumulate related to enriched basaltic (not “lherzolitic”) shergottites (abstract #2047). 34th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , and .
- 2010. Petrologic, elemental and multi-isotopic characterization of permafic olivine-phyric shergottite Northwest Africa 5789: A primitive magma derived from depleted Martian mantle (abstract #1547). 41st Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1976. Shock-induced melting of minerals in basalt. Eos, Transactions of the American Geophysical Union 57:160. and
- 1999. A transmission electron microscope study of Chassigny: Evidence for strong shock metamorphism. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 34:43–48. and
- 2000a. “Eclogitic” minerals in a shocked basaltic meteorite. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 176:259–265. and
- 2000b. Anatomy of black veins in Zagami: Clues to the formation of high-pressure phases. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 184:37–55. and
- 2002. Igneous rocks: A classification and glossary of terms. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Petrogenesis of the new lherzolitic shergottite Grove Mountains 99027: Constraints of petrography, mineral chemistry, and rare earth elements. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:1599–1619. , , , , and
- 2008. Bulk chemical composition of lherzolitic shergottite Grove Mountains 99027-Constraints on the mantle of Mars. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43:1179–1187. , , , and
- 1994. Pigeonholing planetary meteorites; the lessons of misclassification of EET 87521 and ALH84001 (abstract). Proceedings, 25th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 797–798. , , and .
- 1998. A survey of shergottite, nakhlite and chassigny meteorites whole-rock compositions (abstract). Meteoritics & Planetary Science 33:A183–A190.
- 1989. The parent magmas of the SNC meteorites. Proceedings, 19th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 451–464. and .
- 1990. Rare-earth elements in minerals of the ALHA77005 shergottite and implications for its parent magma and crystallization history. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 54:2535–2547. , , and
- 2009. Expanding the application of the Eu-oxybarometer to the lherzolitic shergottites and nakhlites: Implications for the oxidation state heterogeneity of the Martian interior. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 44:725–745. , , and
- 1994. What we have learned about Mars from SNC meteorites. Meteoritics 29:757–779.
- 1979a. Petrogenetic relationship between Allan Hills 77005 and other achondrites. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 45:275–284. , , , , , , , , and
- 1979b. Allan Hills 77005: A new meteorite type found in Antarctica. Science 204:1201–1203. , , and
- 1985. Ejection of rock fragments from planetary bodies. Geology 13:144–148.
- 2005. Northwest Africa 1950: Mineralogy and comparison with Antarctic lherzolitic shergottites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:1621–1634.
- 2009. Petrological and mineralogical diversities within the lherzolitic shergottites require a new group name (abstract #2272). 40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. .
- 2008. Mineralogy and petrology of paired lherzolitic shergottites Yamato 000027, Yamato 000047, and Yamato 000097: Another fragment from a Martian “lherzolite” block. Polar Science 2:175–194. and
- 1997. Yamato-793605; a new lherzolitic shergottite from the Japanese Antarctic meteorite collection. Antarctic Meteorite Research 10:41–60. and .
- 1994. ALH 84001, a cumulate orthopyroxenite member of the Martian meteorite clan. Meteoritics 29:214–221.
- 1997. Geochemistry of and alteration phases in Martian lherzolite Y-793605. Antarctic Meteorite Research 10:109–124. , , , , and .
- 2001. Ages and geologic histories of Martian meteorites. Space Science Reviews 96:105–164. , , , , , and
- 2009. Concordant Rb-Sr, Sm-Nd, and Ar-Ar ages for Northwest Africa 1460: A 346 Ma old basaltic shergottite related to “lherzolitic” shergottites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73:4288–4309. , , , , , and
- 1993. Thermodynamic data from redox reactions at high temperatures. I. An experimental and theoretical assessment of the electrochemical method using stabilized zirconia electrolytes, with revised values for the Fe −“FeO”, Co − CoO, Ni − NiO and Cu − Cu2O oxygen buffers, and new data for the W − Wo2 buffer. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 114:296–314. and
- 2004. Solar system abundances of the elements. In Meteorites, comets, and planets, edited by Davis A. M. Treatise on Geochemistry, vol. 1. Oxford: Elsevier. pp. 41–61. and .
- 2008. Dhofar 378 Martian shergottites: Evidence of early shock melting. Journal of Geophysical Research 11:3. , , , and
- 2010. Crystallization, melt inclusion, and redox history of a Martian meteorite: Olivine-phyric shergottite Larkman Nunatak 06319. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74:4543–4576. , , , , , , and
- 2011. Petrology and geochemistry of Yamato 984028: A cumulate lherzolitic shergottite with affinities to Y 00027, Y 00047 and Y 00097. Polar Science 4:497–514. , , , , , , , and
- 1989. Importance of considerations of mixing properties in establishing an internally consistent thermodynamic database—thermochemistry of minerals in the system Mg2SiO4-Fe2SiO4-SiO2. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 102:41–68. and
- 1991a. Chromian spinels as petrogenetic indicators—Thermodynamics and petrological applications. American Mineralogist 76:827–847. and
- 1991b. An internally consistent model for the thermodynamic properties of Fe-Mg-titanomagnetite-aluminate spinels. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 106:474–505. and
- 1991c. Thermochemistry of the oxide minerals. Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry 25:221–264. and
- 1994a. Thermodynamics of multicomponent pyroxenes. 1. Formulation of a general-model. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 116:277–286. and
- 1994b. Thermodynamics of multicomponent pyroxenes. 2. Phase-relations in the quadrilateral. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 116:287–300. and
- 1994c. Thermodynamics of multicomponent pyroxenes. 3. Calibration of Fe2 + (Mg)(-1), Tial2(Mgsi2)(-1), Tife2(3 + )(Mgsi2)(-1), Alfe3 + (Mgsi)(-1), Naal(Camg)(-1), Al-2(Mgsi)(-1) and Ca(Mg)(-1) exchange-reactions between pyroxenes and silicate melts. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 118:271–296. and
- 1977. Shock metamorphism of lunar and terrestrial basalts. Proceedings, 8th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 1697–1729. and .
- 2004. Chemical characteristics of a Martian meteorite, Yamato 980459. Antarctic Meteorite Research 17:55–67. and
- 1994. Comparison of the LEW88516 and ALHA77005 Martian meteorites—Similar but distinct. Meteoritics 29:581–592. , , , , , , , , and
- 2001. Redox state of Mars’ upper mantle and crust from Eu anomalies in shergottite pyroxenes. Science 291:1527–1530.
- 1994. Petrogenesis of shergottite meteorites inferred from minor and trace element microdistributions. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 58:4213–4229. , , and
- 1999. Trace element distributions in Yamato-793605, a chip off the “Martian lherzolite” block. Antarctic Meteorite Research 12:168–182. , , and .
- 2001. A petrologic and trace element study of Dar al Gani 476 and Dar al Gani 489: Twin meteorites with affinities to basaltic and lherzolitic shergottites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 36:195–208. , , , and
- 2007a. Dynamic crystallization of shock melts in Allan Hills 77005: Implications for melt pocket formation in Martian meteorites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71:5267–5285. and
- 2007b. Localized shock melting in lherzolitic shergottite Northwest Africa 1950: Comparison with Allan Hills 77005. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 42:63–80. and
- 2005. A new Martian meteorite from Oman: Mineralogy, petrology, and shock metamorphism of olivine-phyric basaltic shergottite Sayh al Uhaymir 150. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:1195–1214. , , and
- 2008. Isotopic and petrographic evidence for young Martian basalts. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 72:5819–5837. , , and
- 2010. Martian regolith in Elephant Moraine 79001 shock melts? Evidence from major element composition and sulfur speciation Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74:4829–4843. , , , and
- 1997. Yamato-793605, EETA79001, and other presumed Martian meteorites; compositional clues to their origins. In Antarctic Meteorite Research 10:61–81. and .
- 2000. A low temperature transfer of ALH 84001 from Mars to Earth. Science 290:791–795. , , , , , , and
- 1969. Fayalite-magnetite-Quartz assemblage between 600 ° and 800 °C. American Journal of Science 267:480–488. and
- 1991. Oxygen barometry of spinel peridotites. Reviews in Mineralogy 25:417–431.
- 2000. Petrology and chemistry of the new shergottite Dar al Gani 476. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 35:95–106. , , , , and