Populating the asteroid belt from two parent source regions due to the migration of giant planets—“The Grand Tack”
Version of Record online: 24 OCT 2012
© The Meteoritical Society, 2012
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 47, Issue 12, pages 1941–1947, December 2012
How to Cite
WALSH, K. J., MORBIDELLI, A., RAYMOND, S. N., O’BRIEN, D. P. and MANDELL, A. M. (2012), Populating the asteroid belt from two parent source regions due to the migration of giant planets—“The Grand Tack”. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 47: 1941–1947. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01418.x
- Issue online: 23 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 OCT 2012
- (Received 16 February 2012; revision accepted 08 August 2012)
- 2003. Migration and dynamical relaxation in crowded systems of giant planets. Icarus163:290–306. and
- 2002. Lead isotopic ages of chondrules and calcium–aluminum-rich inclusions. Science297:1678–1683. , , , and
- 2007. Massive planet migration: Theoretical predictions and comparison with observations. The Astrophysical Journal665:1381–1390.
- 2011. Retention of a primordial cold classical Kuiper Belt in an instability-driven model of solar system formation. The Astrophysical Journal738:13. , , and
- 2012. An Archean heavy bombardment from a destabilized extension of the asteroid belt. Nature485:78–81. , , , , , , , and
- 2010. The age of the solar system redefined by the oldest Pb-Pb age of a meteoritic inclusion. Nature Geoscience3:637–641. and
- 2002. Meteoritic parent bodies: Their number and identification. In Asteroids III, edited by Bottke W. F., Cellino A., Paolicchi P., and Binzel R. P. Tucson, Arizona: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 653–667. , , , , and .,
- 2002. Visible-wavelength spectroscopy of asteroids. In Asteroids III, edited by Bottke W. F., Cellino A., Paolicchi P., and Binzel R. P. Tucson, Arizona: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 169–182. , , and .
- 2007. What are the real constraints on the existence and magnitude of the Late Heavy Bombardment?Icarus189:233–245. , , and
- 2008. Dynamical outcomes of planet–planet scattering. The Astrophysical Journal686:580–602. , , , and
- 2006. The evolution of the water distribution in a viscous protoplanetary disk. Icarus181:178–204. and
- 2007. Cavity opening by a giant planet in a protoplanetary disc and effects on planetary migration. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society377:1324–1336. and
- 2009. An extension of the Bus asteroid taxonomy into the near-infrared. Icarus202:160–180. , , , and
- 2008. Origins of eccentric extrasolar planets: Testing the planet–planet scattering model. The Astrophysical Journal686:621–636. and
- 2007. The effect of internal dissipation and surface irradiation on the structure of disks and the location of the snow line around Sun-like stars. The Astrophysical Journal654:606–624. and
- 2005. Origin of the cataclysmic Late Heavy Bombardment period of the terrestrial planets. Nature435:466–469. , , , and
- 1978. Planetesimals to planets—Numerical simulation of collisional evolution. Icarus35:1–26. , , , and
- 2001. Disk frequencies and lifetimes in younger clusters. The Astronomical Journal553:L153–L156. , , and
- 2009. Formation of the terrestrial planets from a narrow annulus. The Astrophysical Journal703:1131–1140.
- 1993. Scattering of planetesimals by a protoplanet—Slowing down of runaway growth. Icarus106:210. and
- 2008. Dynamical origin of extrasolar planet eccentricity distribution. The Astrophysical Journal686:603–620. and
- 2006. Terrestrial planet formation. I. The transition from oligarchic growth to chaotic growth. The Astronomical Journal131:1837–1850. and
- 2005. Constraints on the origin of chondrules and CAIs from short-lived and long-lived radionuclides. in Chondrites and the protoplanetary disk, edited by Krot A. N., Scott E. R. D., and Reipurth B. Astronomical Society of the Pacific Conference Series, vol. 341. San Francisco, CA: Astronomical Society of the Pacific. pp. 558–587. , , , , , and
- 2009. Hf-W chronology of the accretion and early evolution of asteroids and terrestrial planets. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta73:5150–5188. , , , , , , , , and
- 2012. Planet-disk interaction and orbital evolution. Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics50:211–249. and .
- 1998. Oligarchic growth of protoplanets. Icarus131:171–178. and
- 2000. Formation of protoplanets from planetesimals in the solar nebula. Icarus143:15–27. and
- 2006. On the location of the snow line in a protoplanetary disk. The Astrophysical Journal640:1115–1118. , , , and
- 2008. Origin of the structure of the Kuiper Belt during a dynamical instability in the orbits of Uranus and Neptune. Icarus196:258–273. , , , , and
- 2009. Contamination of the asteroid belt by primordial trans-Neptunian objects. Nature460:364–366. , , , , , and
- 2011. Late orbital instabilities in the outer planets induced by interaction with a self-gravitating planetesimal disk. The Astronomical Journal142:152. , , , , and
- 1986. On the tidal interaction between protoplanets and the protoplanetary disk. III - Orbital migration of protoplanets. The Astrophysical Journal309:846–857. and
- 2011. Architecture and dynamics of Kepler’s candidate multiple transiting planet systems. The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series197:8. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1995. The origin of Pluto’s orbit: Implications for the solar system beyond Neptune. Astrophysical Journal110:420–429.
- 2001. Reversing type II migration: Resonance trapping of a lighter giant protoplanet. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society320:L55–L59. and
- 2009. A record of planet migration in the main asteroid belt. Nature457:1109–1111. and
- 2005. Chaotic capture of Jupiter’s Trojan asteroids in the early solar system. Nature435:462–465. , , , and
- 2007. Dynamics of the giant planets of the solar system in the gaseous protoplanetary disk and their relationship to the current orbital architecture. The Astronomical Journal134:1790–1798. , , , , and
- 2009. Constructing the secular architecture of the solar system: I. The giant planets. Astronomy & Astrophysics507:1041–1052. , , , , and
- 2010. Evidence from the asteroid belt for a violent past evolution of Jupiter’s orbit. The Astronomical Journal140:1391–1401. , , , , and
- 2012. Building terrestrial planets. Annual Reviews of Earth and Planetary Science40:251–275. , , , , and
- 2008. Formation and accretion history of terrestrial planets from runaway growth through to late time: Implications for orbital eccentricity. The Astrophysical Journal685:1247–1261. , , , and
- 2010. From planetesimals to terrestrial planets: N-body simulations including the effects of nebular gas and giant planets. Icarus207:517–535. , , and
- 2007. Capture of irregular satellites during planetary encounters. The Astronomical Journal133:1962–1976. , , and
- 2006. Terrestrial planet formation with strong dynamical friction. Icarus184:39–58. , , and
- 2008. Constraints on resonant-trapping for two planets embedded in a protoplanetary disc. Astronomy & Astrophysics482:333–340. and
- 2011. Two phase, inward-then-outward migration of Jupiter and Saturn in the gaseous solar nebula. Astronomy & Astrophysics533:A131. and
- 2003. The growth of planetary embryos: Orderly, runaway, or oligarchic?The Astronomical Journal125:942–961.
- 2006. High-resolution simulations of the final assembly of Earth-like planets I. Terrestrial accretion and dynamics. Icarus183:265–282. , , and
- 2009. Building the terrestrial planets: Constrained accretion in the inner solar system. Icarus203:644–662. , , , and
- 2010. Planet–planet scattering in planetesimal disks. II. Predictions for outer extrasolar planetary systems. The Astrophysical Journal711:772–795. , , and
- 1969. Relative sizes of the largest bodies during the accumulation of planets. Icarus10:109. and
- 1974. Isotopic evidence for a terminal lunar cataclysm. Earth and Planetary Science Letters22:1. , , and
- 2005. Origin of the orbital architecture of the giant planets of the solar system. Nature435:459–461. , , , and
- 2011. Sculpting of the inner solar system by gas-driven orbital migration of Jupiter. Nature475:206–209. , , , , and
- 1997. Protoplanet migration by nebula tides. Icarus126:261–281.
- 2011. Stable-isotopic anomalies and the accretionary assemblage of the Earth and Mars: A subordinate role for carbonaceous chondrites. Earth and Planetary Science Letters311:93–100.
- 1997. Accretional evolution of a planetesimal swarm. Icarus128:429–455. , , , , and
- 1978. Accumulation of the terrestrial planets. In Protostars and planets. Tucson, Arizona: University of Arizona Press.pp. 565–598. .