The extra-large light-gas gun of the Fraunhofer EMI: Applications for impact cratering research
Version of Record online: 3 JAN 2013
© The Meteoritical Society, 2013
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 3–7, January 2013
How to Cite
LEXOW, B., WICKERT, M., THOMA, K., SCHÄFER, F., POELCHAU, M. H. and KENKMANN, T. (2013), The extra-large light-gas gun of the Fraunhofer EMI: Applications for impact cratering research. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 48: 3–7. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01427.x
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 JAN 2013
- (Received 09 August 2012; revision accepted 10 September 2012)
- 1993. High pressure shock compression of solids. Berlin: Springer. 393 p. and .
- 1970. The light-gas-gun model launcher. In Ballistic range technology, edited by Canning T. N., Seiff A., and James C. S. Neutilly-sur-Seine: North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development. pp. 9–54. and .
- 1998. CFD modelling of bore erosion in two-stage light gas guns. NASA Ames Research Center, NASA/TM–1998-112236. http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19990007798_1998349187.pdf .
- 2003. Oblique incidence hypervelocity impacts on rock. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society341:192–198. and
- 1999. Hypervelocity impact studies using the 2MV Van de Graaff dust accelerator and two-stage light gas gun of the University of Kent at Canterbury. Measurement Science and Technology10:41–50. , , , and
- 2008. Large-scale, hypervelocity, high-fidelity interceptor lethality development in AEDC’s range G. International Journal of Impact Engineering35:1459–1464. , , and
- 2005. High-pressure shock compression of solids VIII. Berlin: Springer. 380 p. , and .
- 1998. Results of two-stage light-gas gun development efforts and hypervelocity impact tests of advanced thermal protection materials. NASA Ames Research Center, NASA TM-1998-112234. http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19980236871_1998397336.pdf and .
- 1957. High-velocity light-gas gun. Journal of Applied Physics28:892–898. and
- 1987. Performance analysis of the two stage light gas gun. In Shock waves in condensed matter, edited by Schmidt S. C. and Holmes N. C. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier Science Publishers. pp. 653–656. .
- 2011. Time-resolved studies of hypervelocity vertical impacts into porous particulate targets: Effects of projectile density on early-time coupling and crater growth. Icarus216:269–279. doi: 10.1016/j.icarus.2011.09.008 and .
- 2013. Hypervelocity impacts on dry and wet sandstone: Observations of ejecta dynamics and crater growth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12044. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Impact cratering in sandstone: The MEMIN pilot study on the effect of pore water. Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:890–902. , , , , , and
- 2006. The Open University planetary impact facility: A compact two-stage light gas gun for all impact angles. International Journal of Impact Engineering33:410–418.
- 2001. Projectile acceleration aiming at velocities above 9 km/s by a compact gas gun. In Shock compression of condensed matter, edited by Furnish M. D., Thadhani N. N., and Horie Y. New York: American Institute of Physics. pp. 1204–1207. , , , and .
- 2006. Development of a three-stage, light-gas gun at the University of Dayton Research Institute. International Journal of Impact Engineering33:615–624. and
- 2013. The MEMIN research unit: Scaling impact cratering experiments in porous sandstones. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12016. , , , , , and .
- MEMIN-Team. 2006. Impact tests on dry and wet sandstone. Proceedings, 1st International Conference on Impact Cratering in the Solar System, ESA Special Publication #612. pp. 131–136. , , , , ., and
- 2001. Hypervelocity impact research—Acceleration technology and applications. Advances in Space Research28:1417–1424. and
- 1995. Meteoroid/debris simulation experiments on Mir viewport samples. International Journal of Impact Engineering17:731–737. , , and
- 2007. The Deep Impact oblique impact cratering experiment. Icarus190:295–333. , , , , , and
- 1965. The theory of high speed guns. Neutilly-sur-Seine, France: Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development. 312 p. .
- 1986. Small-scale impacts into rock: An evaluation of the effects of target temperature on experimental results. Geophysical Research Letters13:745–748. , , and
- 2013. Ejection behavior characteristics of experimental impacts into dry and wet sandstone: Results from the MEMIN research unit. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12017. , , , , , , , , and .