Host-seeking activity and avian host preferences of mosquitoes associated with West Nile virus transmission in the northeastern U.S.A.
Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2010
© 2010 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 35, Issue 1, pages 69–74, June 2010
How to Cite
Suom, C., Ginsberg, H. S., Bernick, A., Klein, C., Buckley, P.A., Salvatore, C. and LeBrun, R. A. (2010), Host-seeking activity and avian host preferences of mosquitoes associated with West Nile virus transmission in the northeastern U.S.A. Journal of Vector Ecology, 35: 69–74. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2010.00060.x
- Issue online: 25 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2010
- Received 20 August 2009; Accepted 23 January 2010
- 1994. Physics of mosquito vision- an overview. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 10: 266–271.
- 2007. Nocturnal activity of mosquitoes in a West Nile virus focus in Connecticut. J. Med. Entomol. 44: 1102–1108. , , , and .
- 2005. Identification guide to the mosquitoes of Connecticut. Conn. Agric. Exp. Sta. , , and .
- 2002. Host-feeding habits of Culex and other mosquitoes in the borough of Queens in New York City, with characters and techniques for identification of Culex mosquitoes. J. Med. Entomol. 39: 777–785. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1966. Circadian activity pattern with two peaks. Ecology 47: 657–662.
- 2006. Horse-, bird-, and human-seeking behavior and seasonal abundance of mosquitoes in a West Nile virus focus of southern France. J. Med. Entomol. 43: 936–946. , , , and .
- 1996. Land use and avian species diversity along an urban gradient. Ecol. Appl. 6: 506–519.
- 2003. Comparison of nocturnal activities of mosquitoes sampled in New Jersey light traps and CO2 traps in Belek, Turkey. J. Vector Ecol. 28: 1–11. , , , , and .
- 2006. Bird-baited traps for surveillance of West Nile virus mosquito vectors: effect of bird species, trap height, and mosquito escape rates. J. Med. Entomol. 43: 83–92. and .
- 1957. Field tests of avian host preference of Culex tarsalis Coq. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 6: 294–303. , , and .
- 1996. Bird migration: methodologies and major research trajectories (1945–1995). The Condor 98: 442–253.
- 2009. Host selection by Culex pipiens mosquitoes and West Nile Virus amplification. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 80: 268–278. , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Avian host preference by vectors of Eastern Equine Encephalomyeltis virus. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 69: 641–647. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Epidemiology and transmission dynamics of West Nile virus disease. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 11: 1167–1173. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Comparative study on nocturnal behavior of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. J. Med. Entomol. 42: 312–318. , , , and .
- 2006. West Nile virus epidemics in North America are driven by shifts in mosquito feeding behavior. PLoS Biol. 4: 606–610. , , , , and .
- 2002. Identification of mosquito avian-derived blood meals by polymerase chain reaction-heteroduplex analysis. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 66: 599–604. , , , , , , , and .
- 1966. Mosquito densities at heights of five and twenty-five feet in southeastern Massachusetts. Mosq. News 26: 241–248. , , , and .
- 1970. Spring migratory restlessness in caged birds: a circadian rhythm. BioScience 20: 1259–1260. , , and .
- 2006. Identification of avian- and mammalian-derived bloodmeals in Aedes vexans and Culiseta melanura and its implication for West Nile virus transmission in Connecticut, USA. J. Med. Entomol. 43: 1088–1093. and .
- 2006. Host feeding patterns of Culex mosquitoes and West Nile virus transmission, northeastern United States. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 12: 468–474. , , , , and .
- 2007. Early evening questing and oviposition activity by the Culex vectors of West Nile virus in northeastern North America. J. Med. Entomol. 44: 211–214. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Host-feeding patterns of Aedes albopictus in relation to availability of human and domestic animals in suburban landscapes of central North Carolina. J. Med. Entomol. 43: 543–551. , , , , and .
- 1993. Mosquito Ecology: Field Sampling Methods. Chapman and Hall.