Evaluation of a metofluthrin fan vaporizer device against phlebotomine sand flies (Diptera: Psychodidae) in a cutaneous leishmaniasis focus in the Judean Desert, Israel
Article first published online: 2 MAR 2011
© 2011 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Special Issue: Special Issue: Sand Fly Research and Control
Volume 36, Issue Supplement s1, pages S157–S165, March 2011
How to Cite
Zollner, G. and Orshan, L. (2011), Evaluation of a metofluthrin fan vaporizer device against phlebotomine sand flies (Diptera: Psychodidae) in a cutaneous leishmaniasis focus in the Judean Desert, Israel. Journal of Vector Ecology, 36: S157–S165. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2011.00126.x
- Issue published online: 2 MAR 2011
- Article first published online: 2 MAR 2011
- 2009. Characterization of spatial repellent, contact irritant, and toxicant chemical actions of standard vector control compounds. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 25: 156–167. , , , , and .
- 2004a. Comparative insecticidal efficacy of a new pyrethroid, metofluthrin, against colonies of Asian Culex quinquefasciatus and Culex pipiens pallens. Med. Entomol. Zool. 55: 289–294. , , , , , , and .
- 2004b. Spatial repellency of metofluthrin-impregnated multilayer paper strip against Aedes albopictus under outdoor conditions, Nagasaki, Japan. Med. Entomol. Zool. 55: 211–216. , , and .
- 2006. Impact of phlebotomine sand flies on U.S. Military operations at Tallil Air Base, Iraq: 1. background, military situation, and development of a “Leishmaniasis Control Program”. J. Med. Entomol. 43: 647–662. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). 2009. Memorandum to the EPA Office of Science Advisor. General Questions for Proposed February 17, 2009 HSRB Meeting: Session on Space Insect Repellent Studies Involving Human Subjects. Questions from HSRB Working Group, January 6, 2009. [Accessed 7 May 2010] http://www.epa.gov/OSA/hsrb/files/meeting-materials/feb_2009/2009_0106_epa_responses_to_hsrb_questions.pdf.
- 2009. Biological efficacy of metofluthrin, a new pyrethroid insecticide, highly effective against mosquitoes. Adv. Human Vector Contr. 1014: 161–169. , , , and .
- 2003. Outbreak of cutaneous leishmaniasis in northern Israel. J. Infect. Dis. 188: 1065–1073. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Field evaluation of spatial repellency of metofluthrin-impregnated latticework plastic strips against Aedes aegypti (L.) and analysis of environmental factors affecting its efficacy in My Tho City, Tien Giang, Vietnam. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 75: 1153–1157. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005a. Field trial on the spatial repellency of metofluthrin-impregnated plastic strips for mosquitoes in shelters without walls (beruga) in Lombok, Indonesia. J. Vector Ecol. 30: 181–185. , , and .
- 2004a. Laboratory and field evaluation of spatial repellency with metofluthrin-impregnated paper strip against mosquitoes in Lombok Island, Indonesia. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 20: 292–298. , , , and .
- 2004b. Trial of spatial repellency of metofluthrin-impregnated paper strip against Anopheles and Culex in shelters without walls in Lombok, Indonesia. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 20: 434–437. , , , and .
- 2008. Field evaluation of spatial repellency of metofluthrin-impregnated plastic strips against Anopheles gambiae complex in Bagamoyo, coastal Tanzania. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 24: 404–409. , , , , , and .
- 2005b. Field evaluation of spatial repellency of metofluthrin impregnated plastic strips against mosquitoes in Hai Phong City, Vietnam. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 73: 350–353. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Lethal and repellent effects of transfluthrin and metofluthrin used in portable blowers for personal protection against Ochlerotatus togoi and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae). Entomol. Res. 37: 173–179.
- 2007. U.S. laboratory and field trials of metofluthrin (SumiOne) emanators for reducing mosquito biting outdoors. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 23: 47–54. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Lack of insecticidal effect of mosquito coils containing either metofluthrin or esbiothrin on Anopheles gambiae sensu lato mosquitoes. Trop. Biomed. 25: 191–195. and .
- 2010. Distribution and seasonality of Phlebotomus sand flies in cutaneous leishmaniasis foci, Judean Desert, Israel. J. Med. Entomol. 47: 319–328. , , , and .
- 2006. Attempts to control sand flies by insecticide-sprayed strips along the periphery of a village. J. Vector Ecol. 31: 113–117. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. The effects of sustained release metofluthrin on the biting, movement, and mortality of Aedes aegypti in a domestic setting. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 81: 94–99. , , , and .
- 2004. Multifarious characterization of Leishmania tropica from a Judean desert focus, exposing intraspecific diversity and incriminating Phlebotomus sergenti as its vector. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 70: 364–372. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Field evaluation of paper strips and mosquito coil formulation impregnated metofluthrin for mosquito control in Malaysia. In: The Abstract Book, 70th Annual Meeting of the American Mosquito Control Association (AMCA), p. 40, AMCA, Eatontown , NJ . , , , , and .
- 2008. Ecoepidemiology of cutaneous leishmaniasis outbreak, Israel. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 14: 1424–1426. , , , , , and .
- SPSS. 2005. SPSS for Windows, Rel. 14.0. Chicago : SPSS Inc.
- 2006. Experimental transmission of Leishmania tropica to hyraxes (Procavia capensis) by the bite of Phlebotomus arabicus. Microbes Infect. 8: 1691–1694. , , and .
- 2010. Leishmania tropica in rock hyraxes (Procavia capensis) in a focus of human cutaneous leishmaniasis. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 82: 814–818. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Metofluthrin: a potent new synthetic pyrethroid with high vapor activity against mosquitoes. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 68: 170–174. , , , , , and .