Habitat modification for mosquito control in the Ilparpa Swamp, Northern Territory, Australia
Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 36, Issue 2, pages 292–299, December 2011
How to Cite
Jacups, S., Kurucz, N., Whitters, R. and Whelan, P. (2011), Habitat modification for mosquito control in the Ilparpa Swamp, Northern Territory, Australia. Journal of Vector Ecology, 36: 292–299. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2011.00169.x
- Issue online: 30 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2011
- Received 14 November 2010; Accepted 10 January 2011
- 2005. Evaluating the risk of potential acid sulfate soils and habitat modification for mosquito control (runneling) in coastal salt marshes: Comparing methods and managing the risk. Environ. Manag. 36: 152–161. , , and .
- Australian Bureau of Meteorology. 2010. Australian Bureau of Meteorology Website. http://www.bom.gov.au.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2010. Population Estimates by Statistical Local Area, 2001 to 2009. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra .
- 2005. Constructed wetlands in Western Australia. Arbov. Res. Aust. 9: 48–52. , , and .
- 2005. Habitat modification: is there a significant impact on saltmarsh fauna:. Arbov. Res. Aust. 9: 58–63. , , and .
- 2002. Reappearance of human cases due to Murray Valley encephalitis virus and Kunjin virus in central Australia after an absence of 26 years. Commun. Dis. Intell. 26: 39–44. , , , , and .
- 1998. Australian encephalitis in the Northern Territory: clinical and epidemiological features, 1987–1996. Aust. N. Z. J. Med. 28: 590–596. , , , , , and .
- Communicable Diseases Australia. 2010. Notifications of Murray Valley encephalitis virus infection. Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing, Canberra . http://www9.health.gov.au/cda/Source/Rpt_4.cfm.
- 2008. Assessing impacts of habitat modification on a subtropical saltmarsh: 20 years of monitoring. Wetl. Ecol. Manag. 16: 149–161.
- 2009. Ecology and management of mosquitoes. In: N. Saintilan (ed.) Australian Saltmarsh Ecology. pp. 175–176. CSIRO publishing, Melbourne . and .
- 2002. Treatment constructed wetlands for sewage effluent treatment: do they encourage mosquito breeding? In: J. Pries (ed.) Treatment Wetlands Water Quality Improvement. pp. 163–173. CH2M Hill, Waterloo , ON , Canada . , , and .
- 1989. Recent advances in habitat modification for salt-marsh mosquito control – south east Queensland and northern New South Wales. Arbov. Res. Aust. 5: 171–177. , , , and .
- 2006. Managing salt marshes for mosquito control: impacts of runnelling, open marsh water management and grid-ditching in sub-tropical Australia. Wetl. Ecol. Manag. 14: 211–220. and .
- 2007. Constructed wetlands for sewage effluent treatment and mosquito larvae at two sites in subtropical Australia. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 23: 109–116. , , , and .
- 1990. A critical review of salt marsh management methods for mosquito control. Crit. Rev. Aquat. Sci. 3: 281–311. and .
- 1968. Open marsh water management. Proceed. N.J. Mosq. Extermin. Assoc. 55: 104–115. and .
- 1978. Murray Valley Encephalitis 1974, Also the Epidemic Variance Since 1914 and Predisposing Rainfall Patterns. Australasian Medical Publishing Company, Glebe .
- 2006. Source reduction of mosquito larval habitats has unexpected consequences on malaria transmission. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 103: 17560–17563. , , , and .
- 1995. Immunodominant epitopes on the NS1 protein of MVE and KUN viruses serve as targets for a blocking ELISA to detect virus-specific antibodies in sentinel animal serum. J. Virol. Meth. 51: 201–210. , , , , and .
- 2004. Changes in the distribution of the grey mangrove Avicennia marina (Forsk.) using large scale aerial color infrared photographs: are the changes related to habitat modification for mosquito control? Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 61: 45–54. , , , and .
- 2005. Rainfall, mosquito vector numbers and seroconversions in sentinal chickens to Murray Valley encephalitis virus in the Northern Territory. Arbov. Res. Aust. 9: 188–192. , , , , and .
- 2002. Mosquito control in Ilparpa Swamp- A big step forward. Mosquito bites in the Asia Pacific Region. Bull. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. Aust. 14: 1–2. , , and .
- 1998. A presumptive case of fatal Murray Valley encephalitis acquired in Alice Springs. Commun. Dis. Intell. 22: 103–104. , , , and .
- 1986. Kunjin virus encephalomyelitis. Med. J. Aust. 144: 41–42. , , , and .
- 1979. A miniature battery powered CO2 baited light trap for mosquito borne encephalitis surveillance. Bull. Soc. Vector Ecol. 4: 24–27. and .
- 2000. Arboviruses associated with human disease in Australia. Microb. Infect. 2: 1693–1704. and .
- 2009. Australian Saltmarsh Ecology. CSIRO publishing, Melbourne .
- 2007. Mosquito larval habitats in a semiarid ecosystem in Eritrea: Impact of larval habitat management on Anopheles arabiensis population. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 76: 103–110. , , , , and .
- 2001. Murray Valley encephalitis virus surveillance and control initiatives in Australia. National Arbovirus Advisory Committee of the Communicable Diseases Network Australia. Commun. Dis. Intell. 25: 33–47. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Effects of timber management on the hydrology of wetland forests in the southern United States. Forest Ecol. Manag. 143: 227–236. , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Rainfall and vector mosquito numbers as risk indicators for mosquito-borne disease in central Australia. Commun. Dis. Intell. 27: 110–116. , , , , , , , and .
- 1993. The epidemiology of arbovirus infection in the Northern Territory 1980–92. Arbov. Res. Aust. 6: 266–270. , , , , and .