Effects of sublethal pyrethroid exposure on the host-seeking behavior of female mosquitoes
Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 36, Issue 2, pages 395–403, December 2011
How to Cite
Cohnstaedt, L. W. and Allan, S. A. (2011), Effects of sublethal pyrethroid exposure on the host-seeking behavior of female mosquitoes. Journal of Vector Ecology, 36: 395–403. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2011.00180.x
- Issue online: 30 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2011
- Received 7 April 2011; Accepted 7 September 2011
- 2010. Sub-lethal effects of two pyrethroids on the biological parameters and behavioral responses to host cues in the egg parasitoid Telenomus busseolae. Biol. Contr. 53: 153–160. , , , and .
- 1972. Studies on the ecology of Anopheles albimanus. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 21: 751–754.
- 2006. A review of the use of synthetic pyrethroids in public health and vector pest control. Pest. Sci. 27: 361–374.
- 2002. Aerial application for control of public health pests. Asp. Appl. Biol. 66: 1–8. and .
- 2010. Prallethrin-induced excitation increases contact between sprayed ultra-low-volume droplets and flying mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in a wind tunnel. J. Med. Entomol. 46: 292–306. , , , , and .
- 1984. Effects of permethrin on the behavior of individually tagged honey bees, Apis mellifera L. (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Environ. Entomol. 13: 375–378. and .
- 2001. Partial compensation of the sublethal effect of deltamethrin on sex phermonal communication of Trichogramma brassicae. Chemosphere 42: 985–991. , , and .
- 2007. The sublethal effects of pesticides on beneficial arthropods. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 52: 81–106. , , and .
- 2003. Effects of sub-lethal and lethal doses of lambda-cyhalothrin on oviposition experience and host-searching behavior of a parasitic wasp, Aphidius ervi. Pest Manag. Sci. 60: 381–389. , , and .
- 1978. The future of pyrethroids in insect control. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 23: 443–469. , , and .
- 2002. Mosquitoes (Culicidae). In: G. Mullen and L. Durden (eds.), Medical and Veterinary Entomology. pp. 203–262. Elsevier Science, San Diego , California . and .
- 1999. Influence of odour plume structure on upwind flight of mosquitoes towards hosts. J. Exp. Biol. 202: 1639–1648. , , and .
- 1994. Manual for Mosquito Rearing and Experimental Techniques. American Mosquito Control Association, Lake Charles , LA . , , and .
- 1980. The role of carbon dioxide in host finding by mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae): a review. Bull. Entomol. Res. 70: 525–532.
- 1978. Evaluation of a new technique for recording the direction of flight of mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in the field. Bull. Entomol. Res. 68:145–152. , , and .
- 2007. A new classification system for the actions of IRS chemicals traditionally used for malaria control. PlosOne 8:e716. , , , , , , and .
- 1988. Sublethal effects of neurotoxic insecticides on insect behavior. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 33: 149–168.
- 2007. Taking a bite out of vector-transmitted infectious disease. New Engl. J. Med. 356: 2567–2569. , , and .
- 1990. Recovery of learning responses by honeybees following sublethal exposure to permethrin. Physiol. Entomol. 15: 5–60. and .
- 2009. Lutzomyia spp. (Diptera: Psycodidae) response to olfactory attractant- and light emitting diode-modified Mosquito Magnet × (MM-X) Traps. J. Med. Entomol. 46: 1052–1061. , , and .
- 2009. Designation of chemicals in terms of the locomotor responses they elicit from insects: An update of Dethier et al. (1960). J. Econ. Entomol. 102: 2056–2060. , , , and .
- 1967 Consequences of insecticide use on nontarget organisms. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 21: 257–286.
- 1992. A model of the transmission of dengue fever with an evaluation of the impact of ultra-low volume (ULV) insecticide applications on dengue epidemics. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 47: 709–720. and .
- 2008. Odour-mediated upwind flight of Culex quinquefasciatus mosquitoes elicited by a synthetic attractant. Physiol. Entomol. 16: 77–85. , , and .
- 2007. Effects of insecticide exposure on movement and population size estimates of predatory ground beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae). Pest Manag. Sci. 64: 30–36. , , , and .
- 2008. The repellent effect of two pyrethroid insecticides on the honey bee. Physiol. Entomol. 13: 213–218. and .
- 1989. Susceptibility of female Aedes albopictus from Texas to commonly used adulticides. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 5: 251–253. and .
- 1989. Personal protection afforded by controlled-release topical repellents and permethrin-treated clothing against natural populations of Aedes taeniorhynchus. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 5: 77–80. and .
- 1970. The effect of sublethal doses of parathion on honeybee behavior. I. Oral administration and the communication dance. J. Apic. Res. 9: 141–153. and .
- 1989. Neurotoxic actions of pyrethroid insecticides. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 34: 77–96. and .
- 1970. The effect of sublethal doses of parathion II site of parathion activity, and signal integration. J. Apic. Res. 9: 155–164. and .
- 1987. Impairment of a classical conditioned response of the honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) by sublethal doses of synthetic pyrethroid insecticides. Apidol. 18: 243–252. , , and .
- 2003. Behavioural effects of pesticides in bees – Their potential for use in risk assessment. Ecotoxicol. 12: 317–330.
- 2001. Potential North American vectors of West Nile Virus. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 951: 317–324. , , , and .
- 1995. Alteration of the homing-flight in the honey bee Apis mellifera L. exposed to sublethal dose of deltamethrin. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 14: 855–860. , , , and .
- 1990. Neurotoxicological effects and the mode of action of pyrethroid insecticides. Crit. Rev. Toxicol. 21: 105–126. and
- 2006. Transmission assumptions generate conflicting predictions in host-vector disease models: a case study in West Nile virus. Ecol. Lett. 9: 706–725. , , , and .