Analysis of post-blood meal flight distances in mosquitoes utilizing zoo animal blood meals
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 83–89, June 2012
How to Cite
Greenberg, J. A., DiMenna, M. A., Hanelt, B. and Hofkin, B. V. (2012), Analysis of post-blood meal flight distances in mosquitoes utilizing zoo animal blood meals. Journal of Vector Ecology, 37: 83–89. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2012.00203.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
- Received 18 August 2011; Accepted 20 September 2011
- 1999. Isolation of West Nile virus from mosquitoes, crows, and a Cooper's hawk in Connecticut. Science 286: 2331–2333. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Mosquito (Diptera:Culicidae) bloodmeal sources during a period of West Nile virus transmission in Puerto Rico. J. Med. Entomol. 48: 701–704. , , , and .
- 1975. Mosquito flight paths in relation to the environment. Effect of vertical and horizontal visual barriers. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 68: 51–57.
- 1979. Mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) flight behavior near conspicuous objects. Bull. Entomol. Res. 69: 691–700. and .
- 2010. Identification of Plasmodium relictum causing mortality in penguins (Spheniscus magellanicus) from São Paulo Zoo, Brazil. Vet. Parasitol. 173: 123–127. , , , , , , and .
- 1955. Mosquitoes of North America (North of Mexico). University of California Press, Berkeley and Los Angeles , CA . 360 pp. and .
- 1986. Identification of Aedes campestris from New Mexico: with notes on the isolation of western equine encephalitis and other arboviruses. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 2: 529–534. , , , , and .
- 1984. Microcomputer-based monitoring and data acquisition system for a mosquito flight mill. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 77: 119–122. , , , and .
- 1994. Subclinical avian malaria infections in African black-footed penguins (Spheniscus demersus) and induction of parasite recrudescence. J. Wildl. Dis. 30: 372–376. , , , , , and .
- 1981. Identification and geographical distribution of the mosquitoes of North America, north of Mexico. Mosq. Syst. Suppl. 1: 1–313. and .
- 2004. A survey of the mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) fauna of the Auckland Zoological Park. New Zealand Entomol. 27: 51–55.
- 2005. Recommendations for mosquito control in zoological parks to reduce disease transmission. Weta 29: 16–20.
- 2009. Prevalence of avian malaria parasite in mosquitoes collected at a zoological garden in Japan. Parasitol. Res. 105: 629–633. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Host-feeding patterns of suspected West Nile virus mosquito vectors in Delaware, 2001–2002. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 21: 194–200. and .
- 2002. Vector competence of California mosquitoes for West Nile virus. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 8: 1385–1391. , , , and .
- 1988. Hosts of mosquitoes in the coastal plain of North Carolina. J. Med. Entomol. 25: 85–93. and .
- 2007. Mosquito feeding patterns and natural infection of vertebrates with Ross River and Barmah Forest viruses in Brisbane, Australia. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 76: 417–423. , , , and .
- 2004. Flight performance of the malaria vectors Anopheles gambiae and Anopheles atroparvus. J. Vector Ecol. 29: 140–153. and .
- 1984. Identification of arthropod blood meals using rubidium as a marker: a preliminary study. J. Med. Entomol. 21: 714–719. and .
- 1999. Origin of the West Nile virus responsible for an outbreak of encephalitis in the northeastern United States. Science 286: 2333–2337. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Estimating dispersal and survival of Anopheles gambiae and Anopheles funestus along the Kenyan coast by using mark-release-recapture methods. J. Med. Entomol. 44: 923–929. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Identification of avian- and mammalian-derived bloodmeals in Aedes vexans and Culiseta melanura (Diptera: Culicidae) and its implication for West Nile virus transmission in Connecticut, U.S.A. J. Med. Entomol. 43: 1088–1093. and .
- 2006. Host feeding patterns of Culex mosquitoes and West Nile virus transmission, Northeastern United States. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 12: 468–474. , , , , and .
- 2007. Host feeding pattern of Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae) and its role in transmission of West Nile virus in Harris County, Texas. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 77: 73–81. , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Aedes aegypti survival and dispersal estimated by mark-release-recapture in northern Australia. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 58: 277–282. and .
- 2007. Improved DNA sequencing quality and efficiency using an optimized fast cycle sequencing protocol. BioTechniques 43: 58–62. , , and .
- 1959. Identification keys for common mosquitoes of United States. CDC training guide U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare. Public Health Service, Atlanta , GA . 40 pp. and .
- 1957. The dispersal of Aedes taeniorhynchus: II. The second experiment. Mosq. News 17: 433–436.
- 1966. Flight range, lengths of gonotrophic cycles, and longevity of P32-labeled Anopheles stephensi mysorensis. J. Econ. Entomol. 59: 50–55. , , and .
- 1965. Ecology of mosquitoes in relation to arboviruses. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 10: 25–46.
- 1995. Short report: dispersal of Aedes aegypti in an urban area after blood feeding as marked by rubidium-marked eggs. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 52: 177–179. , , , and .
- 1968. A flight mill system for the laboratory study of mosquito flight. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 61: 1507–1514. , , and .
- 1944. Some experiments on flight range of Anopheles culicifacies. J. Exp. Zool. 97: 135–163. , , , and .
- 2005. Mark-release-recapture study to measure dispersal of the mosquito Aedes aegypti in Cairns, Queensland, Australia. Med. Vet. Entomol. 19: 451–457. , , , and .
- 2008. Bluetongue epidemiology in the European Union. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 14: 539–544. , , and .
- 2001. Vector competence of selected North American Culex and Coquillettidia mosquitoes for West Nile virus. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 7: 1018–1022. , , , and .
- 2010. Host-feeding habits of Culex pipiens and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) collected at the urban and suburban residential areas of Japan. J. Med. Entomol. 47: 442–450. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Vector competence of North American mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) for West Nile virus. J. Med. Entomol. 38: 130–134. , , , and .
- 2005. An update on the potential of North American mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) to transmit West Nile virus. J. Med. Entomol. 42: 57–63. , , , , , and .
- 1953. A method for determining flight range of Aedes aegypti. Bull. Res. Council Israel 2: 433–436. and .