Temperature and density-dependent effects of larval environment on Aedes aegypti competence for an alphavirus
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 154–161, June 2012
How to Cite
Muturi, E. J., Blackshear, M. and Montgomery, A. (2012), Temperature and density-dependent effects of larval environment on Aedes aegypti competence for an alphavirus. Journal of Vector Ecology, 37: 154–161. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2012.00212.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
- Received 16 September 2011; Accepted 27 January 2012
- 2005. Larval competition differentially affects arbovirus infection in Aedes mosquitoes. Ecology 86: 3279–3288. , , , and .
- 2008. Larval competition alters susceptibility of adult Aedes mosquitoes to dengue infection. Proc. Biol. Sci. 275: 463–471. , , , and .
- 2004. Temperature-related duration of aquatic stages of the Afrotropical malaria vector mosquito Anopheles gambiae in the laboratory. Med. Vet. Entomol. 18: 174–179. , and .
- 1994. Effects of para-aminobenzoic acid, insulin, and gentamicin on Plasmodium falciparum development in anopheline mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 31: 561–565. , , , and .
- 2008. Invasive mosquitoes, larval competition, and indirect effects on the vector competence of native mosquito species (Diptera: Culicidae). Biol. Invasions 10: 1109–1117.
- 1989. Laboratory study of competition between United States strains of Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 26: 260–271. , , , and .
- 2007. Interactions between mosquito larvae and species that share the same trophic level. Ann. Rev. Entomol. 52: 489–507. , and .
- 2006. Superior reproductive success on human blood without sugar is not limited to highly anthropophilic mosquito species. Med. Vet. Entomol. 20: 53–59. , , and .
- CDC. 2008. Center for Disease Control and Prevention West Nile Virus: Statistics, surveillance, and control. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/surv&control.htm.
- 2007. Chikungunya outbreaks: the globalization of vectorborne diseases. N. Engl. J. Med. 356: 769–771. , , and .
- 2001. Characterization of an endogenous gene expressed in Aedes aegypti using an orally infectious recombinant Sindbis virus. J. Insect Sci. 1: 10. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Condition-specific competition in container mosquitoes: the role of noncompeting life-history stages. Ecology 86: 3289–3295. , , and .
- 2010. Larval food quality affects adult (but not larval) immune gene expression independent of effects on general condition. Mol. Ecol. 19: 1462–1468. , and .
- 1991. Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae) and La Crosse virus. IV. Nutritional deprivation of larvae affects the adult barriers to infection and transmission. J. Med. Entomol. 28: 378–386. , and .
- Gubler, D. [ed.] 1997. Dengue And Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever: Its History and Resurgence as a Global Public Health Problem. CAB International, London (United Kingdom) .
- 2002. Epidemic dengue/dengue hemorrhagic fever as a public health, social and economic problem in the 21st century. Trends Microbiol. 10: 100–103.
- 1983. Intrinsic factors affecting vector competence of mosquitoes for arboviruses. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 28: 229–262. , , , and .
- 1990. Temporal variations in the susceptibility of a semi-isolated population of Culex tarsalis to peroral infection with western equine encephalomyelitis and St. Louis encephalitis viruses. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 42: 500–511. , , , and .
- 1989. Interspecific competition among Aedes aegypti, Ae. albopictus and Ae. triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae): larval development in mixed cultures. J. Med. Entomol. 26: 615–623. , , and .
- 1999. Phylogenetic perspectives in innate immunity. Science 284: 1313–1318. , , , and .
- 1993. Immune reactions in Drosophila and other insects: a model for innate immunity. Trends Genet. 9: 178–183.
- 1998. Species introduction and replacement among mosquitoes: interspecies resource competition or apparent competition? Ecology 79: 255–268.
- 2005. Ecology of invasive mosquitoes: effects on resident species and on human health. Ecol. Lett. 8: 558–574. , and .
- 2009. Your worst enemy could be your best friend: predator contributions to invasion resistance and persistence of natives. Oecologia 162: 709–718. , , , and .
- 2002. Enhancement or modulation of the vector competence of Ochlerotatus vigilax (Diptera: Culicidae) for ross river virus by temperature. J. Med. Entomol. 39: 99–105. , and .
- 1989. Rearing temperature influences flavivirus vector competence of mosquitoes. Med. Vet. Entomol. 3: 415–422. , , and .
- 2010. Spatial and temporal variation in vector competence of Culex pipiens and Cx. restuans mosquitoes for West Nile virus. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 83: 607–613. , , , , and .
- 1997. Differential accumulation and tissue distribution of mosquito hexamerins during metamorphosis. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 27: 813–824. , , , and .
- 2006. Reemergence of an unusual disease: the chikungunya epidemic. Semin Pediatr. Infect. Dis. 17: 99–104.
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(–Delta Delta C(T)) Method. Methods 25: 402–408. , and .
- 2002. Does temperature affect the outcome of larval competition between Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus? J. Vector Ecol. 27: 86–95. , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Insect immunity: isolation of three novel inducible antibacterial defensins from the vector mosquito, Aedes aegypti. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 25: 867–873. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Antimicrobial activity spectrum, cDNA cloning, and mRNA expression of a newly isolated member of the cecropin family from the mosquito vector Aedes aegypti. J. Biol. Chem. 274: 20092–20097. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Induction of a peptide with activity against a broad spectrum of pathogens in the Aedes aegypti salivary gland, following infection with Dengue Virus. PLoS Pathog. 7: e1001252. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Expression of defensin, cecropin, and transferrin in Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) infected with Wuchereria bancrofti (Spirurida: Onchocercidae), and the abnormal development of nematodes in the mosquito. Exp. Parasitol. 120: 364–371. , , , , , and .
- 1969. Competition in mosquitoes. Density and species ratio effects on growth, mortality, fecundity, and production of growth retardant. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 62: 1325–1331. , and .
- 2002. Effect of midgut bacterial folra of Aedes aegypti on the susceptibility of mosquitoes to dengue virus. Dengue Bull. 26: 190–194. , , , , and .
- 2008. Detritus type alters the outcome of interspecific competition between Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 45: 375–383. , and .
- 2011. Larval environmental temperature and insecticide exposure alter Aedes aegypti competence for arboviruses. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 11: 1157–1163. , and .
- 2011. Can pesticides and larval competition alter susceptibility of Aedes mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) to arbovirus infection? J. Med. Entomol. 48: 429–236. , , , and .
- 2010. Interaction of a pesticide and larval competition on life history traits of Culex pipiens. Acta Trop. 116: 141–146. , , , , and .
- 2004. Comparison of the transmission potential of two genetically distinct Sindbis viruses after oral infection of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 41: 95–106. , , and .
- 2002. Iron metabolism in insects. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 47: 535–559. , , and .
- 1994. Potential effect of global warming on mosquito borne arboviruses. J. Med. Entomol. 310: 323–332. , , , and .
- 2009. Effects of intraspecific larval competition on adult longevity in the mosquitoes Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. Med. Vet. Entomol. 23: 62–68. , and .
- 2004. Nutrient-dependent reduced growth and survival of larval Culex restuans (Diptera: Culicidae): laboratory and field experiments in Michigan. J. Med. Entomol. 41: 650–656. , , and .
- 2007. Impact of extrinsic incubation temperature and virus exposure on vector competence of Culex pipiens quinquefasciatus Say (Diptera: Culicidae) for West Nile virus. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 7: 629–636. , , , and .
- SAS Institute. 2002. SAS/STATuser's guide, version 9. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary , NC .
- 2001. MANOVA: multiple variables and multispecies interactions. In: S. Scheiner and J. Gurevitch (eds.), Design and Analysis of Ecological Experiments. pp. 99–115. Oxford University Press, New York .
- 2010. Dengue virus inhibits immune responses in Aedes aegypti cells. PLoS ONE 5: e10678. , and .
- 1998. Effect of size and geographic origin of Aedes aegypti on oral infection with Dengue-2 virus. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 58: 283–286. , , , , and .
- 1998. Effects of larval nutrition, adult body size, and adult temperature on the ability of Anopheles gambiae (Diptera : Culicidae) to melanize Sephadex beads. J. Med. Entomol. 35: 157–161. , and .
- 2000. Effects of temperature and larval diet on development rates and survival of the dengue vector Aedes aegypti in north Queensland, Australia. Med. Vet. Entomol. 14: 31–37. , , and .
- 1989. Effect of environmental temperature on the vector competence of Aedes fowleri for Rift Valley fever virus. Res. Virol. 140: 147–154.
- 1993. Effect of environmental temperature on the vector competence of Aedes taeniorhynchus for Rift Valley fever and Venezuelan equine encephalitis viruses. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 49: 672–676.
- 2006. Effect of photoperiod and temperature on the autogeny rate, fecundity, and wing length in the urban mosquito Culex pipiens pipiens f. molestus (Diptera: Culicidae). Int. J. Dipterol. Res. 17: 3–12. , and .
- 2010. Amino acids in nectar enhance longevity of female Culex quinquefasciatus mosquitoes. J. Insect Physiol. 56: 1659–1664. , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary dynamics of immune-related genes and pathways in disease-vector mosquitoes. Science 316: 1738–1743. , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Larval environmental temperature and the susceptibility of Aedes albopictus Skuse (Diptera: Culicidae) to Chikungunya virus. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 10: 241–247. , , , , and .
- 2008. The Aedes aegypti toll pathway controls dengue virus infection. PLoS Pathog. 4: e1000098. , , and .
- 2010. Effects of body size and nutritional regimen on survival in adult Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 47: 778–782. , , and .
- 2007. The significance of ratios of detritus types and micro-organism productivity to competitive interactions between aquatic insect detritivores. J. An. Ecol. 76: 1105–1115. , , and .
- 1997. Mosquito transferrin, an acute-phase protein that is up-regulated upon infection. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A 94: 12337–12342. , , , and .