Controlling and sampling adult sand flies with a fumigant containing permethrin and deltamethrin
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 257–261, June 2012
How to Cite
Müller, G. C., Xue, R.-D. and Beier, J. C. (2012), Controlling and sampling adult sand flies with a fumigant containing permethrin and deltamethrin. Journal of Vector Ecology, 37: 257–261. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2012.00225.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
- Received 4 August 2010; Accepted 14 December 2011
- 2000. Sampling methods for phlebotomine sand flies. Med. Vet. Entomol. 14: 109–122.
- 2003. Control of phlebotomine sand flies. Med. Vet. Entomol. 17: 1–18. and .
- 1995. Effects of permethrin-treated screens on phlebotomine sand flies, with reference to Phlebotomus martini (Diptera: Psychodidae). J. Med. Entomol. 32: 428–432. and .
- 2007. Impact of phlebotomine sand flies on U.S. military operations at Tallil Air base, Iraq: 3. Evaluation of surveillance devices for the collection of adult sand flies. J. Med. Entomol. 44: 381–384. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Impact of phlebotomine sand flies on U.S. Military operations at Tallil Air Base, Iraq: 1. Background, military situation, and development of a “Leishmaniasis Control Program”. J. Med. Entomol. 43: 647–662. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Spraying houses in the Peruvian Andes with lambdacyhalothrin protects residents against cutaneous leishmaniasis. Trans. R. Soc. Trop. Med. Hyg. 94: 631–636. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Protective efficacy of lambdacyhalothrin-impregnated bednets against Phlebotomus orientalis, the vector of visceral leishmaniasis in Sudan. Med. Vet. Entomol. 13: 310–314. , , and .
- 1949. Phlebotomus and residual DDT in Greece and Italy. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 1: 773.
- 2002. Insecticide impregnated curtains to control domestic transmission of cutaneous leishmaniasis in Venezuela: cluster randomized trial. Brit. Med. J. 325: 810–813. , , and .
- 1989. Impact de pulvrisations de deltramthrine dans un foyer de leishmaniose de Bolivie. Ann. Soc. Belge Med. Trop. 69: 223–232. , , , , and .
- 1982. A taxonomic review of the genus Phlebotomus (Diptera: Psychodidae). Bulletin of the British Museum Natural History (Entomology), 45: 121–209. ,
- 1993. Evaluation of the effectiveness of deltamethrin (K-othrine CE) in the control of Lutzomyia longipalpis (Diptera: Psychodidae), in the municipality of Santa Rita, Paraiba, Brazil. Rev. Soc. Bras. Med. Trop. 26: 15–18. and .
- 2003. Field evaluation of a smoke-generating formulation containing beta-cypermethrin against the dengue vector in Argentina. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 19: 53–57. , , , , and .
- 2004. Nectar and honeydew feeding of Phlebotomus papatasi in a focus of Leishmania major in Neot Hakikar oasis. J. Vector Ecol. 29: 154–158. and .
- 2006. Attempts to control sand flies by insecticide-sprayed strips along the periphery of a village. J. Vector Ecol. 31: 113–117. , , , , , , and .
- 1983. Impact of anti malaria house spraying on phlebotomid population in Surat district, Gujarat. Indian J. Med. Res. 78: 354–360.
- 1963. Dichlorvos as a residual fumigant in mud, plywood and bamboo huts. Bull. Wld. Hlth. Org. 29: 227–230. , , and .
- 1993. Mosquito Ecology: Field Sampling Methods. Chapman and Hall. London . 988 pp.
- 1964. Assessment of the kill of Anopheles gambiae by the fumigant insecticide Dichlorvos in experimental huts. Bull. Wld. Hlth. Org. 31: 399–409. , , and .
- 1987. Control of transmission. The leishmaniases in biology and medicine, In: W. Peters and R. Killick-Kendrick (eds.), The Leishmaniases. pp. 909–928. Academic Press, London .
- WHO. 1975. Manual on Practical Entomology in Malaria: Part II – Methods and Techniques. WHO Offset Publications No. 13, Geneva.
- 2006. Introduction to symposium on enhancing mosquito control without pesticides. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 22: 489. .