Development and evaluation of methods to assess populations of black flies (Diptera: Simuliidae) at nests of the endangered whooping crane (Grus americana)
Version of Record online: 26 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 37, Issue 2, pages 298–306, December 2012
How to Cite
King, R. S. and Adler, P. H. (2012), Development and evaluation of methods to assess populations of black flies (Diptera: Simuliidae) at nests of the endangered whooping crane (Grus americana). Journal of Vector Ecology, 37: 298–306. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2012.00231.x
- Issue online: 26 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 26 NOV 2012
- Received 26 December 2011; Accepted 7 February 2012
- 2004. The Black Flies (Simuliidae) of North America . Cornell University Press, Ithaca , NY . 960 pp. , , and .
- 1952. The Whooping Crane. Research Report 3. National Audubon Society, New York , NY . 246 pp.
- 1961. Feeding behavior and host preference of some black flies (Diptera: Simuliidae) in Wisconsin. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 54: 716–729. and .
- 1995. Trapping black flies (Diptera: Simuliidae) in northern California. I. Species composition and seasonal abundance on horses, host models, and in insect flight traps. J. Vector. Ecol. 20: 7–25. and .
- 1972. The response of Simulium (Eusimulium) euryadminiculum Davies (Diptera: Simuliidae) to some olfactory and visual stimuli. Canad. J. Zool. 50: 793–800. , , and .
- 2009. A comparison of two generic trap types for monitoring mosquitoes through an annual cycle in tropical Australia. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 25: 58–65. , , , and .
- 2000. The impact of mass outbreaks of black flies (Simuliidae) on the parental behavior and breeding output of colonial common gulls (Larus canus). Ann. Zool. Fennici 37: 43–49. and .
- 2011. Comparison of the efficacy of CO2-baited and unbaited light traps, gravid traps, backpack aspirators, and sweep net collections for sampling mosquitoes infected with Japanese encephalitis virus. J. Vector Ecol. 36: 68–74. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Impacts of mosquitoes and black flies on defensive behavior and microhabitat use of the North American porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum) in southern Quebec. Canad. J. Zool. 83: 754–764. and .
- 1991. Defensive behavior of eastern chipmunks against Aedes triseriatus (Diptera, Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 28: 410–416. , , and .
- 1967. Seasonal succession of bloodsucking Diptera in Wisconsin during 1965. J. Med. Entomol. 4: 363–373. , , and .
- 1964. Ether extracts from birds and CO2 as attractants for some ornithophilic simuliids. Canad. J. Zool. 42: 723–730. and .
- 1988. Horse-baited insect trap and mobile insect sorting table in a disease vector identification study. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 4: 431–435. , , , and .
- 1956. Research on black flies, pests of livestock and man on the Canadian prairies. Proc. Entomol. Soc. Manitoba 12: 2–10.
- 1976. Comparative effects of CO2 flow rates using modified CDC light traps on trapping adult black flies (Simuliidae: Diptera). Mosq. News 36: 355–358. , , and .
- 2002. Black fly induced nest mortality—prevention possibilities. Wisconsin Bluebird 17: 13–16.
- 2008. Hematophagous Diptera collected from a horse and paired carbon-dioxide-baited suction trap in southern California: relevance to West Nile Virus epizootiology. J. Med. Entomol. 45: 115–124. , , , , and .
- 1992. Strategies to avoid biting flies by reindeer: field experiments with silhouette traps. Ann. Zool. Fennici 29: 69–74. , , , and .
- 1994. What's bugging your birds? An introduction to the ectoparasites of purple martins. Purple Martin Update 5: 1–7. .
- 1997. Mortality in fledgling great horned owls from black fly hematophaga and leucocytozoonosis. J. Wildl. Dis. 33: 486–491. , , and .
- 2006. New tools for surveillance of adult yellow fever mosquitoes: comparison of trap catches with human landing rates in an urban environment. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 22: 229–238. , , , and .
- 1964. Specificity of a black fly, Simulium euryadminiculum Davies, toward its host, the common loon. Canad. Entomol. 96: 911–913. and .
- 2004. Vertebrate host specificity of wild-caught blackflies revealed by mitochondrial DNA in blood. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. 271: S152–S155. , , , , and .
- 2011. Do secretions from the uropygial gland of birds attract biting midges and black flies? Parasitol. Res. doi 10:1007s00436-2436-4. , , , , and .
- 1988. The Common Loon: Spirit of Northern Lakes . University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis , MN . 240 pp.
- 2003. Insect-defense behavior by desert bighorn sheep. Southwestern Natural. 48: 635–643. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Evaluation of four sampling techniques for surveillance of Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae) and other mosquitoes in African rice agroecosystems. J. Med. Entomol. 44: 503–508. , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. An adulticidal sticky ovitrap for sampling container-breeding mosquitoes. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 19: 235–242. , , , , and .
- 2005. Attraction of Culex pipiens/restuans (Diptera: Culicidae) mosquitoes to bird uropygial gland odors at two elevations in the Niagara region of Ontario. J. Med. Entomol. 42: 301–305. and .
- 1987. A trap sampling unit for ear-feeding black flies. Canad. Entomol. 119: 747–750.
- 1993. Mosquito Ecology: Field Sampling Methods. 2nd edition. Elsevier Applied Science, London . 988 pp.
- 1985. Comparison of silhouette, sticky, and suction traps with and without dry-ice bait for sampling black flies (Diptera: Simuliidae) in central Alberta. Canad. Entomol. 117: 113–117.
- 2010. Sugar-fermenting yeast as an organic source of carbon dioxide to attract the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae. Malaria J. 9: 292. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Blackfly-induced mortality of nestling red-tailed hawks. Auk 115: 368–375. , , , , and .
- 1966. A carbon dioxide trap for Simuliidae (Diptera). J. Econ. Entomol. 59: 242–243. and .
- 1995. Studies of host location behavior in the black fly Simulium arcticum (Diptera: Simuliidae): aspects of close range trap orientation. Bull. Entomol. Res. 85: 415–424. , , and .
- 2012. Spatial stratification of host-seeking Diptera in boreal forests of northern Europe. Med. Vet. Entomol. 26: 56–62. , , and .
- 2011. High and dry or sunk and dunked: lessons from tallgrass prairies for quaking bogs. J. Insect Conserv. 15: 165–178. and .
- 1996. Effect of insect harassment on the behavior of the Rivière George caribou. Arctic 49: 375–382. , , and .
- 1962. Prevalence of Leucocytozoon simondi among some Wisconsin waterfowl. J. Wildl. Manag. 26: 137–143. , , , and .
- 2010. Nest desertion in a reintroduced population of migratory whooping cranes. Proc. North Am. Crane Workshop 11: 133–141. , , , and .
- 1986. Influence of defensive behavior of eastern chipmunks and gray squirrels (Rodentia: Sciuridae) on feeding success of Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 23: 1–10. and .