Woodland biodiversity management as a tool for reducing human exposure to Ixodes ricinus ticks: A preliminary study in an English woodland
Article first published online: 26 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 37, Issue 2, pages 307–315, December 2012
How to Cite
Medlock, J.M., Shuttleworth, H., Copley, V., Hansford, K.M. and Leach, S. (2012), Woodland biodiversity management as a tool for reducing human exposure to Ixodes ricinus ticks: A preliminary study in an English woodland. Journal of Vector Ecology, 37: 307–315. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2012.00232.x
- Issue published online: 26 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 26 NOV 2012
- Received 11 January 2012; Accepted 20 March 2012
- 2007. Local environmental factors characterizing Ixodes ricinus nymph abundance in grazed permanent pastures for cattle. Parasitol. 134: 987–994. , , , and .
- 2003. Modelling Survival Data in Medical Research . 2nd ed. Chapman and Hall/CRC Press. 408 pp.
- 1995. Seasonal variation in the role of grey squirrels as hosts of Ixodes ricinus, the tick vector of the Lyme disease spirochaete, in a British woodland. Folia Parasitol. 42: 73–80. , , and .
- 1997. Role of grey squirrels and pheasants in the transmission of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, the Lyme disease spirochaete, in the UK. Folia Parasitol. 44: 155–160. , , , and .
- 2003. Shift of the tick Ixodes ricinus and tick-borne encephalitis to higher altitudes in central Europe. Eur. J. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 22: 327–328. , , , , and .
- 2005. Predation and the profitability of grouse moors. Brit. Wldlife. 16: 339–347.
- 2011. Ticks (Ixodes ricinus) abundance and seasonality at recreation sites in the UK: hazards in relation to fine-scale habitat types revealed by complementary sampling methods. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2: 67–74. , , and .
- 2001. Distribution, abundance, and habitat preferences of Ixodes ricinus in northern Spain. J. Med. Entomol. 38: 361–370.
- 2002. Understanding the relationships between landscape connectivity and abundance of Ixodes ricinus Ticks. Exp. Appl. Acarol. 28: 239–248.
- 2001. Disease persistence and apparent competition in a three-host community: an empirical and analytical study of large-scale, wild populations. J. Anim. Ecol. 70: 1053–1061. , , , , and .
- 2010. Altitudinal patterns of tick and host abundance: a potential role for climate change in regulating tick-borne diseases? Oecologia 162: 217–225.
- 1992. Studies on the ecology of Lyme disease in a deer forest in County Galway, Ireland. J. Med. Entomol. 29: 915–920. , , , and .
- 1998. The role of pheasants (Phasianus colchicus) as hosts for ticks (Ixodes ricinus) and Lyme disease spirochaetes (Borrelia burgdorferi) in southern England. Game Wldlife. 15: 477–489. , , , , and .
- 1998. Prevalence rates of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in host-seeking Ixodes ricinus ticks in Europe. Parasitol. Res. 84: 167–172. and .
- 2011. The range of Ixodes ricinus and the risk of contracting Lyme borreliosis will increase northwards when the vegetation period becomes longer. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2: 44–49. and .
- 2011. Tick surveillance in Great Britain. Vector-borne Zoonot. Dis. 11: 403–412. and .
- 2000. Assessing the condition of woodland SSSIs in England. Brit. Wldlife. 11: 305–311. , and .
- 1982. Humidity relationships and water balance of ticks. In: F.D. Obenchain and R. Galun (eds.). Physiology of Ticks. pp. 43–70. Pergamon Press, Oxford . and .
- 1946. The water balance in Ixodes ricinus and certain other ticks. Parasitol. 37: 1–20.
- 2005. Altitudinal distribution limit of the tick Ixodes ricinus shifted considerably towards higher altitudes in central Europe: results of three years monitoring in the Krkonose Mts. (Czech Republic). Cent. Eur. J. Publ. Hlth. 13: 24–28. , , and .
- 2008. Investigation of ecological and environmental determinants for the presence of questing Ixodes ricinus on Gower, south Wales. J. Med. Entomol. 45: 314–325. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. British ticks. Brit. Wildlife 20: 258–266. , , , and .
- 1943. The comparison of sheep tick populations. Ann. Appl. Biol. 30: 240–250.
- 1948. The ecology of the sheep tick, Ixodes ricinus: microhabitat economy of the adult tick. Parasitol. 40: 14–34.
- 1950. The ecology of the sheep tick, Ixodes ricinus: spatial distribution. Parasitol. 40: 35–45.
- 1997. Hotspots of epiphytic lichen diversity in two young managed forests. Conserv. Biol. 11: 172–182. and .
- 1987a. Roe Stalking. The Game Conservancy Ltd. Fordingbridge . 130 pp.
- 1987b. Deer Watch. Swan Hill Press, Shrewsbury , 199 pp.
- 2008. Trends in ixodid tick abundance and distribution in Great Britain. Med. Vet. Entomol. 22: 238–247. , , , , and .
- 2011. Prevalence, distribution and risk associated with tick infestation of dogs in Great Britain. Med. Vet. Entomol. 25: 377–384. , , , and .
- 2000. Methodology for sampling questing nymphs of Ixodes ricinus, the principal vector of Lyme disease in Europe. J. Med. Entomol. 37: 335–339. , , , , and .