Cues used by the black fly, Simulium annulus, for attraction to the common loon (Gavia immer)
Version of Record online: 26 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 37, Issue 2, pages 359–364, December 2012
How to Cite
Weinandt, M. L., Meyer, M., Strand, M. and Lindsay, A. R. (2012), Cues used by the black fly, Simulium annulus, for attraction to the common loon (Gavia immer). Journal of Vector Ecology, 37: 359–364. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2012.00239.x
- Issue online: 26 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 26 NOV 2012
- Received 11 March 2012; Accepted 1 June 2012
- 2004. The Black Flies (Simuliidae) of North America . Cornell University Press in association with Royal Ontario Museum, Ithaca , N.Y.
- 1978. Regulation and stability of host-parasite population interactions: I. Regulatory processes. J. Anim. Ecol. 47: 219–247. and .
- 1964. Ether extracts from birds and CO2 as attractants for some ornithophilic simuliids. Can. J. Zool. 42: 723–730. and .
- 2003. Bioaccumulation patterns and temporal trends of mercury exposure in Wisconsin common loons. Ecotoxicology 12: 83–93. , , , and .
- 1999. Visual and olfactory responses of haematophagous Diptera to host stimuli. Med. Vet. Entomol. 13: 2–23. and ,
- 2008. Bird hosts, blood parasites and their vectors — associations uncovered by molecular analyses of blackfly blood meals. Mol. Ecol. 17: 1605–1613. , , and .
- 1998. Prevention of population cycles by parasite removal. Science 282: 2256–2258. , , and .
- 2003. Effects of methyl mercury exposure on the growth of juvenile common loons. Ecotoxicology 12: 171–182. , , , , , and .
- 1964. Specificity of a black fly, Simulium euryadminiculum Davies, toward its host, the common loon. Can. Entomol. 96: 911–913. and .
- 2004. Vertebrate host specificity of wild-caught blackflies revealed by mitochondrial DNA in blood. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: S152–S155. , , , , and .
- 1997. Common Loon (Gavia immer). In: A. Poole and F. Gill. (eds). Birds of North America – Online. doi : 10.2173bna.313. and .
- 2002. The metazoan parasite fauna of loons (Aves: Gaviiformes), its relationship to the birds’ evolutionary history and biology, and a comparison with the parasite fauna of grebes, Miscellaneous Publications #191. University of Michigan Museum of Zoology.
- 2007. Author sequence and credit for contributions in multiauthored publications. PLoS Biol 5, e18. , , , , and .
- 2010. Nest desertion in a reintroduced population of migratory whooping cranes, In: Proceedings of the North American Crane Workshop. Presented at the North American Crane Workshop. (2008), Wisconsin Dells, WI (U.S.A.) pp. 133–141. , , , .