Sustainable control of mosquito larvae in the field by the combined actions of the biological insecticide Bti and natural competitors
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 82–89, June 2013
How to Cite
Kroeger, I., Liess, M., Dziock, F. and Duquesne, S. (2013), Sustainable control of mosquito larvae in the field by the combined actions of the biological insecticide Bti and natural competitors. Journal of Vector Ecology, 38: 82–89. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2013.12012.x
- Issue published online: 23 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
- Received 20 September 2012; Accepted 6 November 2012
- 2002. A minimalist approach to the effects of density-dependent competition on insect life-history traits. Ecol. Entomol. 27: 396–402. , , , and .
- 2009. Insecticide resistance of Culex pipiens (Diptera: Culicidae) in Turkey. J. Pestic. Sci. 34: 259–264. , , and .
- 2009. Initial and residual activity of VectoBac 12 AS, VectoBac WDG, and VectoLex WDG for control of mosquitoes in Ararat Valley, Turkey. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 25: 113–16.
- 1974. Predator-prey relationships among aquatic insects. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 19: 441–453.
- 2010. Mosquitoes and Their Control . Springer. 594 pp. , , , , , , and .
- 1992. Factors influencing the activity of Bacillus Thuringiensis var. israelensis treatments. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 8: 285–289. , , , , and .
- 2003. Ice granules containing endotoxins of microbial agents for the control of mosquito larvae: A new application technique. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 19: 63–66.
- 2007. Predation risk perception and food scarcity induce alterations of life-cycle traits of the mosquito Culex pipiens. Ecol. Entomol. 32: 405–410. and .
- 2010. What environmental factors are important determinants of structure, species richness, and abundance of mosquito assemblages? J. Med. Entomol. 47: 129–139. , , , and .
- 1988. Indirect effects and biological control of mosquitoes by mosquitofish. J. Appl. Ecol. 25: 505.
- 2007. Interactions between mosquito larvae and species that share the same trophic level. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 52: 489–507. and .
- 1995. Direct and indirect effects of a predatory backswimmer (Notonecta maculata) on community structure of desert temporary pools. Ecol. Entomol. 20: 311–318. , , and .
- 1996. Priority effects in temporary pools: nature and outcome of mosquito larva-toad tadpole interactions depend on order of entrance. J. Anim. Ecol. 65: 77. and .
- 2000. Effects of Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis on target and nontarget organisms: a review of laboratory and field experiments. Biocontr. Sci. Techn. 10: 517–561. and .
- 2004. Interspecific competition between two invasive species of container mosquitoes, Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae), in Brazil. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 97: 130–139. , , , , and .
- 1909. Die Süsswasserfauna Deutschlands: Copepoda, Ostracoda, Malacostraca . Bd 11. Gustav Fischer Verlag, Jena Stuttgart .
- 2003. Drought-induced mosquito outbreaks in wetlands. Ecol. Lett. 6: 1017–1024. and .
- 2011. The potential of cladocerans as controphic competitors of the mosquito Culex pipiens. J. Med. Entomol. 48: 554–560. , , , and .
- 1993. Süsswasserfauna von Mitteleuropa VIII. Heft 4,1.: Crustacea. Copepoda : Calanoida und Cyclopoida. Spektrum, Akad. Verlag, Heidelberg .
- 1997. Predation by odonates depresses mosquito abundance in water-filled tree holes in Panama. Oecologia 112: 244–253. , , and .
- 2012. Competition increases toxicant sensitivity and delays the recovery of two interacting populations. Aquat. Toxicol. 106–107: 25–31. , , and .
- 2010. Tandem use of selective insecticides and natural enemies for effective, reduced-risk pest management. Biol. Contr. 52: 208–215. , , and .
- 2005. Competitive outcomes of aquatic container diptera depend on predation and resource levels. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 98: 673–681. and .
- 2003. Multi-function agricultural biodiversity: pest management and other benefits. Basic Appl. Ecol. 4: 107–116. , , and .
- 2007. Population dynamics. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 23: 265–275.
- 2009. Species interactions among larval mosquitoes: context dependence across habitat gradients. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 54: 37–56.
- 1991. Field trials with Vectolex (Bacillus sphaericus) and Vectobac (Bacillus thuringiensis (H-14)) against Anopheles gambiae and Culex quinquefasciatus breeding in Zaire. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 7: 176–179. , , and .
- 2001. When and why top-down regulation fails in arthropod predator-prey systems. Basic Appl. Ecol. 2: 333–340. and .
- 2009. Süßwasserfauna von Mitteleuropa: Insecta: Coleoptera: Scirtidae . Bd. 20/17. Spektrum Akad. Verlag, Heidelberg .
- 2004. Effects of interspecific competition, predation, and their interaction on survival and development time of immature Anopheles quadrimaculatus. J. Vector Ecol. 29: 277–284. , , , and .
- 2006. Larvicidal efficiency of aquatic predators: a perspective for mosquito biocontrol. Zool. Stud. 45: 447–466. and .
- 1993. Temporal overlap, competition, and priority effects in larval anurans. Ecology 74: 174. and .
- 1984. Biological mosquito control furthered by advances in technology and research. Mosq. News 44: 449–456. and .
- 2010. Resistance to the organophosphate temephos: Mechanisms, evolution and reversion in an Aedes aegypti laboratory strain from Brazil. Acta Trop. 113: 180–189. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Influence of competing and predatory invertebrate taxa on larval populations of mosquitoes in temporary ponds of wetland areas in Germany. J. Vector Ecol. 35: 419–427. , , and .
- 2010. Risk assessment for side-effects of neonicotinoids against bumblebees with and without impairing foraging behavior. Ecotoxicology 19: 207–215. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus . Springer, New York . and .
- 2002. Experimental Design and Data Analysis for Biologists . Cambridge University Press, Cambridge . and .
- 2009. Effects of intraspecific larval competition on adult longevity in the mosquitoes Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. Med. Vet. Entomol. 23: 62–68. and .
- 1993. Density-dependent regulation of Aedes cantans (Diptera: Culicidae) in natural and artificial populations. Ecol. Entomol. 18: 223–233. , , and .
- 1987. Mesocyclops aspericornis (Copepoda) and Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis for the biological control of Aedes and Culex vectors (Diptera: Culicidae) breeding in crab holes, tree holes, and artificial containers. J. Med. Entomol. 24: 425–430. , , , and .
- 2008. Initial distribution assessment of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in the Barcelona, Spain, area. J. Med. Entomol. 45: 347–352. , , , , and .
- 2009. The present distribution and predicted geographic expansion of the floodwater mosquito Aedes sticticus in Sweden. J. Vector Ecol. 34: 141–147. and .
- 1999. Compatibility of Bacillus thuringiensis serovar israelensis and chemical insecticides for the control of Aedes mosquitoes. J. Vector Ecol. 24: 216–223. , , and .
- 2005. Individual and interactive effects of a predator and controphic species on mosquito populations. Ecol. Appl. 15: 587–598. , , and .
- 2009. Competition in an invaded rodent community reveals black rats as a threat to native bush rats in littoral rainforest of south-eastern Australia. J. Appl. Ecol. 46: 1239–1247. , , , and .
- 1957. Exkursionsfauna von Deutschland: Wirbellose, Bd.1, 8. Aufl. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg .
- 2009. Lethal and sub-lethal effects of insecticides on natural enemies of citrus scale pests. BioControl 54: 651–661. , , , and .
- 2000. Development and survival of immature Aedes albopictus and Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae) in the laboratory: effects of density, food, and competition on response to temperature. J. Med. Entomol. 37: 40–52. and .
- 2009. Evaluation of integrated vector management. Trends. Parasitol. 25: 71–76. and .
- 2010. Present and future arboviral threats. Antiviral Res. 85: 328. and .
- 2006. Linear Mixed Models: A Practical Guide Using Statistical Software . Taylor & Francis. , , and .
- 2006. The Biology of Temporary Waters . Oxford University Press.
- 2009. Mixed Effects Models and Extensions in Ecology with R . Springer, New York . , , , , and .