Inter-population mating success in Australian dengue vector mosquitoes: effects of laboratory colonization and implications for the spread of transgenics
Version of Record online: 23 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 111–119, June 2013
How to Cite
Richardson, A. J. and Williams, C. R. (2013), Inter-population mating success in Australian dengue vector mosquitoes: effects of laboratory colonization and implications for the spread of transgenics. Journal of Vector Ecology, 38: 111–119. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2013.12016.x
- Issue online: 23 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 23 MAY 2013
- Received 12 September 2012; Accepted 3 January 2013
- 2011. Eggs of the Australian saltmarsh mosquito, Aedes camptorhynchus, survive for long periods and hatch in instalments: implications for biosecurity in New Zealand. Med. Vet. Entomol. 25: 70–76. and .
- 2012. Mating, ovariole number and sperm production of the dengue vector mosquito Aedes aegypti (L.) in Australia: broad thermal optima provide the capacity for survival in a changing climate. Physiol. Entomol. 37: 136–144. and .
- 2009. Colonisation and mass rearing: learning from others. Malaria J. 8 (Suppl 2): S4. , , , , , , and .
- 1961. Genetic variability in populations of Aedes aegypti. Bull. Wld. Hlth. Org. 24: 527–539. , , and .
- 2009. Genetic structure of Aedes aegypti in Australia and Vietnam revealed by microsatellite and exon primed intron crossing markers suggests feasibility of local control options. J. Med. Entomol. 46: 1074–1083. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Changes in the genetic structure of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) populations in Queensland, Australia, across two seasons: Implications for potential mosquito releases. J. Med. Entomol. 48: 999–1007. , , , , , and .
- 1955. Variation in the hatching-response of Aedes eggs (Diptera: Culicidae). Bull. Entomol. Res. 46: 241–254.
- 1971. Female sexual behavior as the mechanism rendering Aedes aegypti refractory to insemination. Biol. Bull. 140: 201–214. , , and .
- 1971. Observations on the mating behaviour of Aedes aegypti in nature. Bull. Wld. Hlth. Org. 45: 847–850.
- 2011. Successful establishment of Wolbachia in Aedes populations to suppress dengue transmission. Nature 476: 454–457. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1981. The programming of circadian flight-activity in relation to mating and the gonotrophic cycle in the mosquito, Aedes aegypti. Physiol. Entomol. 6: 307–313.
- 1987. The Culicidae of the Australasian region. Vol. 4, Entomology Monograph No. 2. Australian Government Publishing Services, Canberra . , , , , , , , and .
- 1984. The effect of colonization upon Aedes aegypti susceptibility to oral infection with yellow fever virus. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 33: 690–694. , , , , and .
- 2009. Aedes aegypti distribution in southern Queensland 1990–2009, are they really marching toward Brisbane? Mosq. Bites Asia-Pac. Reg. 4: 45–50. , , and .
- 1990. Relationship of wing length to adult dry weight in several mosquito species (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 27: 716–719.
- 2011. Thermal sensitivity of Aedes aegypti from Australia: empirical data and prediction of effects on distribution. J. Med. Entomol. 48: 914–923. , , , , and .
- 2009. Dengue and climate change in Australia: predictions for the future should incorporate knowledge from the past. Med. J. Aust. 190: 265–268. , , , , , and .
- 1969. Failure of effective insemination of young female Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. J. Insect Physiol. 15: 1471–1479. , , and .
- 2011. Genetic elimination of dengue vector mosquitoes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 108: 4772–4775. , , , , , , and .