Successional mosquito dynamics in surrogate treehole and ground-container habitats in the northeastern United States: Where does Aedes albopictus fit in?
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Society for Vector Ecology
Journal of Vector Ecology
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 168–174, June 2013
How to Cite
Johnson, B. J. and Sukhdeo, M. V. K. (2013), Successional mosquito dynamics in surrogate treehole and ground-container habitats in the northeastern United States: Where does Aedes albopictus fit in?. Journal of Vector Ecology, 38: 168–174. doi: 10.1111/j.1948-7134.2013.12023.x
- Issue published online: 23 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
- Received 20 November 2012; Accepted 21 February 2013
- 1995. Evaluation of organic infusions and synthetic compounds mediating oviposition in Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Chem. Ecol. 21: 1847–1860. and .
- 2001. Temperature effects on the dynamics of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) populations in the laboratory. J. Med. Entomol. 38: 548–556. and .
- 2007. Spread of the tiger: global risk of invasion by the mosquito Aedes albopictus. Vector-borne Zoonot. Dis. 7: 76–85. , , , and .
- 2007. Invasive mosquitoes, larval competition, and indirect effects on the vector competence of native mosquito species (Diptera: Culicidae). Biol. Invas. 10: 1109–1117.
- 1983. Predator-mediated, non-equilibrium coexistence of tree-hole mosquitoes in southeastern North America. Oecologia 57: 239–256. and .
- 1984. Seasonal development of tree-hole mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) and Chaoborids in relation to weather and predation. Ecol. Entomol. 21: 366–378. and .
- 2004. Interspecific competition between two invasive species of container mosquitoes in Brazil. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 97: 130–139. , , , , and .
- 1955. Mosquitoes of North America (North of Mexico) . University of California Press Berkeley , CA . and .
- 2003. On the comGpetition occurring between Aedes albopictus and Culex pipiens (Diptera: Culicidae) in Italy. Environ. Entomol. 32: 1313–1321. , , , and .
- 2005. Asymmetrical competition and patterns of abundance of Aedes albopictus and Culex pipiens (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 42: 559–570. , , and .
- 2011. The effects of resource type and ratio on competition with Aedes albopictus and Culex pipiens (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 48: 29–38. , , , and .
- 2005. Identification and Geographical Distribution of the Mosquitoes of North America, North of Mexico . University of Florida Press, Gainesville , FL . and .
- 2006. Predator identity and additive effects in a treehole community. Ecology 87: 987–995. and .
- 2009. The mosquitoes of eastern Tennessee: studies on abundance, habitat preferences, and host-seeking behaviors. J. Vector Ecol. 34: 70–80. , , , and .
- 2008. Culex pipiens (Diptera: Culicidae): a bridge vector of West Nile Virus to humans. J. Med. Entomol. 45: 125–128. , , , , , , and .
- 1987. Aedes albopictus in North America: probable introduction in used tires from Asia. Science 236: 1114–1116. , , , , and
- 1989. Interspecific competition among Aedes aegypti, Aedes albopictus, and Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae)- larval development in mixed cultures. J. Med. Entomol. 26: 615–623. , , , , and .
- 1991. Replacement of Aedes aegypti by Aedes albopictus in Mobile, Alabama. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 7: 488–489. , , and .
- 2002. Discovery of Aedes albopictus infected with West Nile virus in southeastern Pennsylvania. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 18: 131. , , , , and .
- 1989. Nesting phenology and competition for nest sites among Red-Headed and Red-Bellied Woodpeckers and European Starlings. The Auk 106: 209–217.
- 2005. Oviposition preferences of Culex restuans and Culex pipiens (Diptera: Culicidae) for selected infusions in oviposition traps and gravid traps. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 21: 360–365. , , , , and .
- 2012. The roles of mosquito and bird communities on the prevalence of West Nile virus in urban wetland and residential habitats. Urban Ecosyst. 15: 513–531. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Species introduction and replacement among mosquitoes: interspecific resource competition or apparent competition? Ecology 79: 255–268.
- 2004. A field test for competitive effects of Aedes albopictus on Aedes aegypti in south Florida: differences between sites of coexistence and exclusion? Oecologia 139: 583–593. , , and .
- 2010. Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in Bermuda: extinction, invasion, invasion and extinction. Biol. Invas. 12: 3277–3288. , , , , and .
- 2008. Do natural container habitats impede invader dominance? Predator-mediated coexistence of invasive and native container-dwelling mosquitoes. Oecologia 155: 631–639. , , and .
- 1993. Temporal overlap, competition, and priority effects in larval anurans. Ecology 74: 174–182. and .
- 1995. Effect of leaf litter and density on fitness and population performance of the tree hole mosquito Aedes triseriatus. Ecol. Entomol. 20: 125–136. and .
- 2005. The role of propagule pressure in explaining species invasions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20: 223–228. , , and .
- 1981. Habitat segregation among African treehole mosquitoes. Ecol. Entomol. 6: 129–154.
- 1985. Interactions influencing production of tree hole mosquitoes in south Florida. In: L.P. Lounibos, J.R. Rey, and J.H. Frank (eds). Ecology of Mosquitoes: Proceedings of a Workshop. pp. 65–77. Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory, Vero Beach , Florida .
- 2001. Testing predictions of displacement of native Aedes by the invasive Asian tiger mosquito Aedes albopictus in Florida, USA. Biol. Invas. 3: 151–166. , , , , , , , and .
- 1992. Isolation of eastern equine encephalitis virus from Aedes albopictus in Florida. Science 257: 526–527. , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Isolation of La Crosse, Cache Valley, and Potosi viruses from Aedes mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) at used-tire sites in Illinois during 1994–1995. J. Med. Entomol. 35: 573–577. , , , , and .
- 1999. Aedes albopictus in the United States: current status and prospects for further spread. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 15: 221–227.
- 1988. Aedes albopictus in the United States: rapid spread of a potential disease vector. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 4: 356–361. , , , and .
- 1997. Aedes albopictus in the United States: ten-year presence and public health implications. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 3: 329–334. and .
- 2011. Community Ecology . 2nd ed. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford .
- 1993. Evaluating larval competition between Aedes albopictus and Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae) through replacement series experiments. Environ. Entomol. 22: 311–318. , , , and .
- 1995. Spread of Aedes albopictus and decline of Ae. aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) in Florida. J. Med. Entomol. 32: 554–562. , , , and .
- 2004. Relationship of water and leaf litter variability to insects inhabiting treeholes. J. Am. Benthol. Soc. 23: 793–805.
- 1998. Relationship of atmospheric deposition to the water chemistry and biota of treehole habitats. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 17: 362–368. and .
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna , Austria : R Foundation for Statistical Computing. Retrieved from http://www.R-project.org.
- 1999. Summer phenology of aquatic insect communities inhabiting the leaves of the northern pitcher plant, Sarracenia purpurea L. Northeast. Nat. 6: 19–30.
- 2012. The rise of the invasives and decline of the natives: insights revealed from adult populations of container-inhabiting Aedes mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in temperate North America. Biol. Invas. DOI 10.1007s10530-012-0345-3. , , , and .
- 1995. Egg-hatch phenology and intraguild predation between two mantid species. Oecologia 104: 496–500. and .
- 2000. Development and survival of immature Aedes albopictus and Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae) in the laboratory: effects of density, food, and competition on response to temperature. J. Med. Entomol. 37: 40–52. and .
- 1998. Laboratory and field evaluations of oviposition responses of Aedes albopictus and Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae) to oak leaf infusions. J. Med. Entomol. 35: 967–976. , , and .
- 2003. Role of bacteria in mediating the oviposition responses of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 40: 841–848. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Vector competence of North American mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) for West Nile virus. J. Med. Entomol. 38: 130–134. , , , and .