Citizenship and Displacement
Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2011
© 2010 Institute of Development Studies
IDS Working Papers
Special Issue: Citizenship and Displacement
Volume 2010, Issue 354, pages 01–42, December 2010
How to Cite
Mehta, L. and Napier-Moore, R. (2010), Citizenship and Displacement. IDS Working Papers, 2010: 01–42. doi: 10.1111/j.2040-0209.2010.00354_2.x
- Issue online: 9 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2011
- 2003) Livelihood and Identity Contractions of Somali Refugees in Cairo, Working Paper 2, Forced Migration and Refugee Studies, The American University in Cairo. (
- 1991) ‘Global Ethnoscapes: Notes and Queries for a Transnational Anthropology’, in R.G.Fox (ed.), Recapturing Anthropology: Working in the Present, Santa Fe : School of American Research Press. (
- 2003) ‘Citizens and Denizens: Ethnicity, Homelands, and the Crisis of Displacement in Northeast India’, Journal of Refugee Studies 16.1: 44–66. (
- 2007) ‘Political Ethics of External Citizenship’, lecture Sussex Centre for Migration Research Seminar Series, University of Sussex, Autumn 2007. (
- BBC (2008) Liberians Suspend Ghana Protest, BBC News, 24 March, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7311507.stm (accessed 6 October 2010).
- BBC (2004) Protest as Refugee Sews Eyes Up, BBC News, 28 May, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/2942602.stm (accessed 6 October 2010).
- 2006) Literature Review on Local-Global Citizen Engagement, Citizenship DRC, Brighton : IDS. and (
- 2003) ‘Local Citizens or Internally Displaced Persons? Dilemmas of Long Term Displacement in Sri Lanka’, Journal of Refugee Studies 16.4: 376–97. (
- 2004) People Out of Place: Globalization, Human Rights, and the Citizenship Gap, London : Routledge. and (
- 2000) Citizenship and Migration: Globalization and the Politics of Belonging, London : Macmillan Press. and (
- 2000) ‘Risks, Safeguards, and Reconstruction: A Model for Population Displacement and Resettlements’, in M.Cernea and C.McDowell (eds), Risks and Reconstruction: Experiences of Resettlers and Refugees, Washington , DC : World Bank. (
- 1997) ‘The Risks and Reconstruction Model for Resettling Displaced Populations’, World Development 25.10: 1569–88. (
- 2003) Plenary Speech, Researching Internal Displacement: State of the Art: Conference Report, Trondheim, Norway . (
- 1998) Masses in Flight: The Global Crisis of Internal Displacement, Washington , DC : Brookings Institution Press. and (
- 2006) The Inheritance of Loss, New York : Atlantic Monthly Press. (
- 1994) ‘The Making of Global Citizenship’, in B.van Steenbergen (ed.), The Condition of Citizenship, London : Sage. (
- FMRS (2006) A Tragedy of Failures and False Expectations: Report on the Events Surrounding the Three-month Sit-in and Forced Removal of Sudanese Refugees in Cairo, September–December 2005, Cairo : American University Cairo.
- 2005) ‘Statelessness: A Forgotten Human Rights Crisis’, Forced Migration Review 24: 65–6. and (
- 2005) Claiming Citizenship: Rights, Participation and Accountability (5 volumes), London : Zed Books. (
- 2004) Reinventing Accountability: Making Democracy Work for the Poor, London : Macmillan/Palgrave. and (
- 2008) ‘Brothers or Poor Counsins? Rights, Policies and the Well-being of Refugees in Egypt’, in K.Grabska and L.Mehta (eds), Forced Displacement: Why Rights Matter, Basingstoke : Palgrave. (
- Grabska, K. and Mehta, L., (eds) (2008) Forced Displacement: Why Rights Matter, Basingstoke : Palgrave.
- 2007) ‘Disjunctures in Labelling Refugees and Oustees’, in J.Moncrieffe and R.Eyben (eds), The Power of Labelling: How People Are Categorized and Why it Matters, London : Earthscan. and (
- 2004) Comparative Government and Politics: An Introduction, Basingstoke : Palgrave. and (
- 1990) Democracy and the Nation-State: Aliens, Denizens, and Citizens in a World of International Migration, Aldershot : Avebury. (
- 2008) ‘Protests Against UNHCR to Achieve Rights: Some Reflections’, in K.Grabska and L.Mehta (eds), Forced Displacement: Why Rights Matter, Basingstoke : Palgrave. (
- 2002) ‘Towards the Economic and Social “Integration” of Refugee Populations in Host Countries in Africa’, paper presented at Stanley Foundation conference, Refugee Protection in Africa: How to Ensure Security and Development for Refugees and Hosts, Entebbe, Uganda, 10–14 November, http://188.8.131.52/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=cache:ib75_L3UdhEJ:reports.stanleyfoundation.org/hrp/HRP02B.pdf+harrell-bond (accessed 14 April 2008). (
- 2005) The Rights of Refugees Under International Law, Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. (
- 1991) The Law of Refugee Studies, Toronto : Butterworths. (
- 2000) ‘Dams, Displacement, Policy and Law in India’, World Commission on Dams Thematic Review 1.3: xxii. ; ; and (
- 1939) ‘The League of Nations and the Refugee Problem’, Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 203: 124–35. (
- Human Rights Watch (2002) Liberian Refugees in Guinea: Refoulement, Militarization of Camps, and Other Protection Concerns, 25 November, http://reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf/8b7d095431371f6e852567cb008396bb/8f104cfe1909c76449256c7d0008d20d?OpenDocument (accessed 6 October 2010).
- 2002) Citizens' Guide to the World Commission on Dams, Berkeley : International Rivers Network. ; and (
- International Herald Tribune (2008) ‘Liberian Refugees in Ghana Deported’, 22 March, http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/22/africa/AF-GEN-Liberia-Refugees-Deported.php (accessed 14 April 2008).
- 2006) ‘Citizenship, Affiliation and Exclusion: Perspectives from the South’, IDS Bulletin 37.4. (
- 2005) Inclusive Citizenship: Meanings and Expressions, London : Zed Books. (
- 2008) ‘Access to Economic and Social Rights in First Countries of Asylum and Repatriation: A Case Study of Eritrean Refugees in Sudan’, in K.Grabska and L.Mehta (eds), Forced Displacement: Why Rights Matter, Basingstoke : Palgrave. (
- 2003) ‘Citizenship Rights and Repatriation of Refugees’, International Migration Review 37.1: 24–73. (
- 1999) ‘Revisiting the Debate on People, Place, Identity and Displacement’, Journal of Refugee Studies 12.4. (
- 2006) ‘Nothing Left to Lose? An Examination of the Dynamics and Recent History of Refugee Resistance and Protest’, paper presented at the 4th Annual Forced Migration Postgraduate Student Conference, University of East London, London, 18–19 March. (
- 2002) ‘News from Nowhere: Mass Displacement and Globalized “Problems of Organisation”’, Ethnography 3.3: 351–60. (
- 1995) ‘Refugees and Exile: From “Refugee Studies” to the National Order of Things’, Annual Review of Anthropology 24: 495–523. (
- 1995) Purity and Exile: Violence, Memory, and National Cosmology Among Hutu Refugees in Tanzania, Chicago : University of Chicago Press. (
- 1992) ‘National Geographic: The Rooting of Peoples and the Territorialization of National Identity Among Scholars and Refugees’, Cultural Anthropology 7.1: 24–44. (
- 1994) ‘Citizenship of the European Union: A Critical View’, in R.Baubock (ed.), From Aliens to Citizens, Aldershot : Avebury Press. (
- 2008) Displaced by Development: Confronting Marginalisation and Gender Injustice, New Delhi : Sage. (
- 2003) Whose Needs are Right? Refugees, Oustees and the Challenges of Rights-based Approaches in Forced Migration, Working Paper T4, Brighton : Development Research Centre on Migration, Globalisation and Poverty, University of Sussex. and (
- 2006) ‘Cosmopolitan States of Development: Homelands, Citizenships, and Diasporic Ghanaian Politics’, Critical Human Geography Mini Lecture Series, University of Sussex, 23 January. (
- 2007) ‘“We Live in a Country of UNHCR”– Refugee Protests and Global Civil Society’, International Political Sociology 1: 356–72. and (
- 1988) ‘Refugees and Other Migrants Viewed with a Legal Eye – or How to Fight Confusion’, in K.H.Petersen and A.Rutherford (eds), Displaced Persons, Sydney : Dangaroo. (
- 1996) ‘Patriotism and Cosmopolitanism’, in J.Cohen (ed.), For Love of Country: Debating the Limits of Patriotism, Boston : Beacon Press. (
- 2005) ‘An Actor-Oriented Approach to Rights in Development’, IDS Bulletin 36.1: 41–9. (
- 2007) Rethinking Refugees: Beyond States of Emergency, London : Routledge. (
- 2003) Risks and Rights: The Causes, Consequences, and Challenges of Development-Induced Displacement, Occasional Paper, Washington , DC : The Brookings Institution – SAIS Project on Internal Displacement. (
- 2004) ‘The Repositioning of Citizenship’, in A.Brysk and G.Shafir (eds), People Out of Place: Globalization, Human Rights, and the Citizenship Gap, London : Routledge. (
- 2006) ‘Solace and Security at the Cairo Refugee Demonstration’, paper presented at the 4th Annual Forced Migration Postgraduate Student Conference, University of East London, London, 18–19 March. (
- 2005) ‘Communicating Global Citizenship: Multiple Discourses Beyond the Academy’, Citizenship Studies 9.2: 119–33. (
- 1996) The Exclusive European Citizenship: The Case for Refugees and Immigrants in the European Union, Aldershot : Ashgate. (
- 2008) ‘Refugees or Foreigners? The Case of Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon’, in K.Grabska and L.Mehta (eds), Forced Displacement: Why Rights Matter, Basingstoke : Palgrave. (
- 2005) ‘The Phenomenon of Refugee Protest in the Global South: 2005 Developments’, World Refugee Survey, Washington , DC : US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants: 28–31 http://www.refugees.org/data/wrs/06/docs/refugee_protest_in_the_global_south.pdf (accessed 14 April 2008). (
- The Government of Tibet in Exile (2008) His Holiness Reiterates Firm Commitment to the Middle-Way Policy, http://www.tibet.com/NewsRoom/dharamsalatibetday1.htm (accessed 14 April 2008).
- The Government of Tibet in Exile (2005) Tibet in Exile at a Glance, updated 20 January 2005, http://www.tibet.com/exileglance.html (accessed 14 April 2008).
- The Observer (2007) ‘Just One in Six of Iraq's Refugees is Accepted’, 7 October, http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/oct/07/iraq.immigration (accessed 8 October 2010).
- The Power Inquiry (2006) Power to the People: An Independent Inquiry into Britain's Democracy, York : York Publishing Distribution.
- 2008) ‘The Time of the Refugee’, Westminster School of Law Lecture, in seminar event ‘A Murky Relationship: Human Rights and UK Immigration and Asylum Policy’, 21 February. (
- UNHCR (2010) 2009 Global Trends: Refugees, Asylum-seekers, Returnees, Internally Displaced and Stateless Persons, Geneva : The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), http://www.unhcr.org (accessed 8 November 2010).
- UNHCR (2009) 2008 Global Trends: Refugees, Asylum-seekers, Returnees, Internally Displaced and Stateless Persons, Geneva : The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), http://www.unhcr.org (accessed 8 November 2010).
- UNHCR (2008) The Iraq Situation, Geneva : The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), http://www.unhcr.org/iraq (accessed 14 April 2008).
- UNHCR (2007) 2006 Global Trends: Refugees, Asylum-seekers, Returnees, Internally Displaced and Stateless Persons, Geneva : The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) http://www.unhcr.org (accessed 14 April 2008).
- UNHCR (2006) ‘UNHCR Ending Operations in Kissidougou Region of Guinea’, UNHCR Briefing Notes, 29 September http://www.unhcr.org/news/NEWS/451cf7d92.html (accessed 14 April 2008).
- UNHCR, Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's Programme (2004) Protracted Refugee Situations, Geneva : The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
- 1995) ‘Do Refugees Belong in Camps? Experiences from Goma and Guinea’, Lancet 346: 360–2. (
- 2005) Rights in Exile: Janus-faced Humanitarianism, Oxford : Berghahn Books. and (
- 1985) Labelling in Development Policy: Essays in Honour of Bernard Schaffer, London : Sage Publications. (
- World Commission on Dams (2000) Dams and Development: A New Framework for Decision Making, London and Sterling , VA : Earthscan Publications Ltd.
- World Service Authority (2007) WSA Passport Acceptance, World Government of World Citizens, http://www.worldgovernment.org/visas.html (accessed 17 April 2008).
- 1988) ‘Refugees and Refugee Studies – A Label and an Agenda’, Journal of Refugee Studies 1: 1–6. (
- 1985) ‘Refugees – Labelling and Access’, in G.Wood (ed.), Labelling in Development Policy, London : Sage: 87–101. (