From Deprivation to Distribution: Is Global Poverty Becoming A Matter of National Inequality?
Version of Record online: 17 JAN 2013
© 2012 Institute of Development Studies
IDS Working Papers
Special Issue: From Deprivation to Distribution: Is Global Poverty Becoming A Matter of National Inequality?
Volume 2012, Issue 394, pages 1–36, June 2012
How to Cite
Sumner, A. (2012), From Deprivation to Distribution: Is Global Poverty Becoming A Matter of National Inequality?. IDS Working Papers, 2012: 1–36. doi: 10.1111/j.2040-0209.2012.00394.x
- Issue online: 17 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 JAN 2013
- 2007) ‘Are Economic Forecasts of the International Monetary Fund Politically Biased? A Public Choice Analysis’, Review of International Organizations 2.3: 239–60. (
- 2011) Multidimensional Poverty Index 2011, Oxford : OPHI. ; ; and (
- 2005). Fairness and Redistribution. American Economic Review 95(4), 960–80. , & (
- 2009). Preferences for Redistribution. NBER Working Paper 14825. New York : National Bureau of Economic Research. , & (
- 2008) Taxation and State Building in Developing Countries, Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. ; and (
- 2011). Latin America's Global Middle Class. Brookings Institution Paper. Washington DC : Brookings Institution. , , & (
- 2011) Poverty in Numbers: The Changing State of Global Poverty from 2005 to 2015, Policy Brief 2011–01, Washington , DC : Global Economy and Development at Brookings, The Brookings Institution. and (
- 2012) An Update to the World Bank's Estimates of Consumption Poverty in the Developing World, Washington , DC : World Bank. and (
- 2008) The Developing World is Poorer than thought but no less Successful in the Fight Against Poverty, Policy Research Working Paper 4703, Washington, DC: World Bank (also published in 2010 in Quarterly Journal of Economics (2010), 125.4: 1577–1625). and (
- 2010). Taxation and More Representation? On Fiscal Policy, Social Mobility and Democracy in Latin America. Working Paper 294. Paris : OECD Development Center. , & (
- 2011) ‘Measuring Development: Different Data, Different Conclusions’, paper presented at the 8th AFD-EUDN Conference, Paris. (
- 1998 New ways of looking at old issues: Inequality and growth. Journal of Development Economics. 57,2, 259–287. ,
- 2011) Direct Redistribution, Taxation, and Accountability in Oil-Rich Economies: A Proposal, CGD Working Paper, Washington DC : CGD. ; ; and (
- 2007). Social Mobility and Preferences for Redistribution in Latin America. Economia 8.1, 55–88. (
- 2012) What do National Poverty Lines Tell Us about Global Poverty? IDS Working Paper, Brighton : IDS. and (
- 2011) Global Health and the New Bottom Billion: What Do Shifts in Global Poverty and the Global Disease Burden Mean for GAVI and the Global Fund?, CGD Working Paper, Washington , DC : Center for Global Development. and (
- IMF (2011). Revenue Mobilization in Developing Countries. Washington DC : IMF.
- IMF (2012) World Economic Outlook Database, Washington , DC : IMF.
- 2011a) Poor Countries or Poor People? Development Assistance and the New Geography of Global Poverty, Working Paper 2011–08, Ithaca , NY : Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University. and (
- 2011b) Poor Countries or Poor People? Development Assistance and the New Geography of Global Poverty, CEPR Working Paper, London : CEPR. and (
- 2007) Poverty, Relative to the Ability to Eradicate It: An Index of Poverty Reduction Failure, Working Paper 2007–02, Ithaca , NY : Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University. and (
- 2012, forthcoming) ‘MDGs 2.0: What Goals, Targets and Timeframe?’, Centre for Global Development (CGD) Working Paper, CGD: Washington , DC . ; and (
- 2001), ‘What do we know about economic growth: or why don't we know very much?’, World Development, 29. 1, 1–23. & (
- 2011) Poverty Reduction in a Changing Development Landscape’, paper presented at DSA-EADI Conference, York, UK. (
- 1955. Economic growth and income inequality. American Economic Review. 45, 1, 1–28.
- 1963. Quantitative aspects of the economic growth of nations: VIII, Distribution and income by size. Economic development and cultural change. 11, 2, 1–80.
- 2011) ‘A Vulnerability Approach to the Definition of the Middle Class’, mimeo, Washington , DC and New York : The World Bank and UNDP. and (
- 1981). A Rational Theory of the Size of Government. Journal of Political Economy 89(5), 914–27. & (
- 2007) How Does Taxation Effect the Quality of Governance? IDS Working Paper 280. Brighton : IDS. (
- 2011) IDA at 65: Heading Toward Retirement or a Fragile Lease on Life?, Working Paper 246, Washington , DC : Center for Global Development. and (
- OECD (2011a) Latin American Economic Outlook: How Middle Class is Latin America?, Paris : OECD Development Center.
- OECD (2011b) Ensuring Fragile States Are Not Left Behind: 2011 Factsheet on Resource Flows in Fragile States. Paris : OECD.
- OECD (2010) Resource flows to Fragile and Conflict Affected States, Paris : Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.
- 2011) ‘Homogeneous Middles vs. Heterogeneous Tails, and the End of the “Inverted-U”: It's All About the Share of the Rich’, Development and Change 42.1: 87–153. (
- 1995) ‘Social Mobility and Redistributive Politics’, Quarterly Journal of Economics 110.3, 551–84. (
- 2010) ‘Do Poorer Countries Have Less Capacity for Redistribution?’, Journal of Globalization and Development 1.2, 1–8. (
- 2012, forthcoming) ‘What Would it Take to Raise the Average Income of the Current Poor to $2/day by 2030?’, Brighton : IDS. and (
- 2011). Conditional Cash Transfers In Brazil, Chile And Mexico: Impacts Upon Inequality. Washington , DC : Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. , , , , & (
- 1972) ‘What are we Trying to Measure?’, Journal of Development Studies 8.3: 21–36; reprinted in N. Baster (ed.) (1972), Measuring Development: The Role and Adequacy of Development Indicators. London: Frank Cass, 21–36. (
- 1969) ‘The Meaning of Development’, International Development Review 11, 2–6. (
- 1963) ‘The Limitations of the Special Case’, Bulletin of the Oxford Institute of Economics and Statistics 25.2: 77–98, reprinted in K. Martin and J. Knapp (eds) (1967), The Teaching of Development Economics: Its Position in the Present State of Knowledge, London: Frank Cass, 1–27. (
- 2012a) ‘Where do the Poor Live?’, World Development 40.5, 865–877. (
- 2012b, forthcoming) ‘Where do the World's Poor Live? A New Update’, IDS Working Paper, Brighton : IDS. (
- 2010) Global Poverty and the New Bottom Billion, IDS Working Paper 349, Brighton : IDS. (
- 2009) After 2015: International Development Policy at a Crossroads, Basingstoke , Palgrave MacMillan. and (
- 2005). Tax Morale in Latin America. Public Choice 122(1/2), 133–57. (
- World Bank (2012) PovcalNet, http://iresearch.worldbank.org/PovcalNet/index.htm (accessed 1 April 2012).
- World Bank (2011b) World Development Indicators, Washington , DC : World Bank.