Strategies of Feminist Bureaucrats: Perspectives from International NGOs
Version of Record online: 22 JAN 2013
© 2012 Institute of Development Studies
IDS Working Papers
Special Issue: Strategies of Feminist Bureaucrats: Perspectives from International NGOs
Volume 2012, Issue 396, pages 1–33, July 2012
How to Cite
Smyth, I., Turquet, L. and Eyben, R. (2012), Strategies of Feminist Bureaucrats: Perspectives from International NGOs. IDS Working Papers, 2012: 1–33. doi: 10.1111/j.2040-0209.2012.00396.x
- Issue online: 22 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 22 JAN 2013
- Asian Development Bank (2010) ‘Gender Mainstreaming in ADB Projects’ Report of the Technical Working Group Manila : ADB:.
- Asian Development Bank (2009) ‘The Asian Development Bank's Support to Gender and Development Phase I: Relevance, Responsiveness, and Results to Date Special Evaluation Study Manila : ADB.
- Asian Development Bank (2006) Gender and Development in ADB Operations. OM Section C2/BP. Manila : ADB.
- 2003) ‘Confronting Power and Politics. A Feminist Theorizing of Gender in Commonwealth Caribbean Societies’ Meridians: feminism, race, transnationalism 3, 2: 57–92. (
- 2009) ‘Feminism is Coming of Age: Celebrating Diversity and Power’ Development 52, 140–43. (
- 1998) ‘The learning NGO’ INTRAC, Occasional Paper no.17 Oxford. (
- 2005) ‘Gender mainstreaming in theory and practice’ Social Politics 12, 3: 433–45. (
- 2006) Gender Guide to World Bank and the IMF Policy-Based Lending, http://www.genderaction.org/images/GA%20Gender%20Guide%20to%20World%20Bank%20and%20IMF%20FINAL.pdf. and (
- Edwards, M. and Hulme, D. (eds) (1992) Making a Difference: NGOs and Development in a Changing World, Earthscan Publications, London .
- 2007) ‘Gender Myths in the British Aid Programme’, in A. Cornwall, E. Harrison and A. Whitehead (eds), Feminisms and Development: Contradictions, Contestations and Challenges, Zed Press, London . (
- Fraser, A. and Tinker, I. (eds) (2004) Developing Power: How Women Transformed International Development, Feminist Press, New York .
- 2003) ‘The World Bank and women's movements’, in R. O'Brien (ed.) Contesting Global Governance: Multilateral Economic Institutions and Global Social Movements Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. (
- 2008) From Poverty to Power: How Active Citizens and Effective States can Change the World, Oxford : Oxfam International. (
- 2002) ‘Gender mainstreaming and global governance’ Feminist Legal Studies 10: 285–98. and , (
- 2005) Advocates, Adversaries, and Anomalies: The Politics of Feminist Spaces in Gender and Development’, Canadian Journal of Development Studies xxvi, special issue: 620–32. (
- 2007) Gender Action Plans and Gender Equality Results Rapid Gender Assessments ADB Manila . , and (
- 2005) Women, Development and the UN, Indiana University Press, Bloomington . (
- 2008) ‘Advocating for Abortion Access: Lessons and Challenges’ IDS Bulletin 39, 3: 10–17. (
- 1998) ‘Gender Advocates and multilateral development organisations: promoting change from within’ in C. Miller and S. Razavi (eds), Missionaries and Mandarins: Feminist Engagement with Development Institutions Intermediate Technology Publications, UNRISD: 138–171. (
- Miller, C. and Razavi, S. (eds) (1998) Missionaries and Mandarins: Feminist Engagement with Development Institutions Intermediate Technology Publications, UNRISD.
- 2005) Globalizing Women: Transnational Feminist Network John Hopkins Press: Baltimore . (
- 1988) ‘Under Western Eyes: Feminist Scholarship and Colonial Discourses’ Feminist Review 30: 61–88. (
- 2003) ‘Gender mainstreaming Beijing + 10: a desk review of successes and limitations in international institutions’ (mimeo). and (
- 2005) “Beijing Plus Ten’: An Ambivalent Record on Gender Justice’, Development and Change 36, 6: 983–1010. and (
- 1998) ‘Engaging the State: the Women's Movement and Political Discourse in Morocco’, in C. Miller and S. Razavi (eds) Missionaries and Mandarins: Feminist Engagement with Development Institutions Intermediate Technology Publications, UNRISD: 87–111. (
- 2005) Officializing Strategies: Participatory Processes and Gender in ADB's Capacity Building in Thailand's Water Resources Sector. , and (
- Parpart, J. Rai, S. and Staudt, K. (eds) (2002) Rethinking empowerment: Gender and Development in a Global/Local World London : Routledge.
- 2008) ‘Gender Mainstreaming in Development Organisations: Policy, Practice and Institutional Change, PHD Thesis, Department of International Development, Queen Elizabeth House – St Cross College Oxford University. (
- 2003) ‘Confession, catharsis, or cure? Rethinking the uses of reflexivity as methodological power in qualitative research’, International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 16, 2: 175–196. 2003
- Porter, F. and Sweetman, C. (eds) (2005) Gender and Development 13, 2: 2.
- 2006) ‘Mainstreaming Gender in International Organisations’ in J. Jacquette and G. Summerfield (eds) Women and Gender Equity in Development Theory and Practice Duke University Press: 53–70. and (
- 2005) ‘Is there life after gender mainstreaming?’ Gender and Development 13, 2: 57–69. and (
- 1999) Gender at Work. Organisational Change for Equality West Hartford: Kumarian . , and (
- 1998) ‘Becoming Multilingual: the Challenges of Feminist Policy Advocacy’ in Miller C. and Razavi S. Missionaries and Mandarins: Feminist Engagement with Development Institutions Intermediate Technology Publications, UNRISD: 20–41. (
- 2006) ‘The Quest for Gender Equality’, in P. Utting (ed.), Reclaiming Development Agendas. Knowledge, Power and International Policy Making, UNRISD/Palgrave, Basingstoke :128–43. (
- 2008) ‘Promoting the Status of Women in the UN System: Experiences from an Inside Journey System’, Forum for Development Studies, No. 2, UN NonGovernmental Liaison Service, New York . (
- 1999) ‘NGOs in a Post Feminist Era’ in M. Porter and H. Judd (eds), Feminists Doing Development: A Practical Critique Zed Press, London : 17–28. (
- 2002) ‘Dismantling the Master's House with the Master's Tools? Gender Work in and with Powerful Bureaucracies,’ in K. Saunders (ed.) Feminist Post-Development Thought: Rethinking Modernity, Post-Colonialism and Representation, New York : Zed Books: 57–68. (
- Staudt, K. (ed.) (1997) Women, International Development and Politics. The Bureaucratic Mire (2nd edn) Philadelphia : Temple University Press.
- 2001) Gendering World Politics, New York : Columbia University Press. (
- 2003) Mainstreaming Gender in Global Public Policy. International Feminist Journal of Politics 5, 3: 368–96. (
- 2005) ‘Gender Mainstreaming: Productive Tensions in Theory and Practice’, Social Politics 12.3: 321–43. (