Strategies of Feminist Bureaucrats: United Nations Experiences
Article first published online: 21 JAN 2013
© 2012 Institute of Development Studies
IDS Working Papers
Special Issue: Strategies of Feminist Bureaucrats: United Nations Experiences
Volume 2012, Issue 397, pages 1–35, July 2012
How to Cite
Sandler, J., Rao, A. and Eyben, R. (2012), Strategies of Feminist Bureaucrats: United Nations Experiences. IDS Working Papers, 2012: 1–35. doi: 10.1111/j.2040-0209.2012.00397.x
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 21 JAN 2013
- 1977) ‘Double loop learning in organizations’ Harvard Business Review 55 (September–October): 115–125. (
- 2005) ‘Gender mainstreaming in theory and practice’ Social Politics, 12; 3: 433–445. (
- 2006) ‘Beyond reflective practice: reworking the ‘critical’ in critical reflection.’ Keynote for ‘Professional Lifelong Learning: Beyond Reflective Practice’ 3 July, 2006. (
- Fraser, A. and I. Tinker (eds) (2004) Developing Power: How Women Transformed International Development, Feminist Press, New York .
- 2003) ‘The World Bank and women's movements’ in (ed) R. O. Brien (ed) Contesting Global Governance: Multilateral Economic Institutions and Global Social Movements Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. (
- 2002) ‘Gender mainstreaming and global governance’ Feminist Legal Studies 10: 285–298. and , (
- 2005) Advocates, Adversaries, and Anomalies: The Politics of Feminist Spaces in Gender and Development’, Canadian Journal of Development Studies, Vol. xxvi, special issue, pp. 620–32. (
- 2006) ‘Bringing Women's Perspectives into UN Reform Processes’, http://devakijain.com/pdf/jain_bringingperspective.pdf. (
- 2005) Women, Development and the UN, Indiana University Press, Bloomington . (
- 2008) ‘Advocating for Abortion Access: Lessons and Challenges’ IDS Bulletin 39, 3: 10–17. (
- Miller, C. and Razavi, S. (eds) (1998) Missionaries and Mandarins: Feminist Engagement with Development Institutions Intermediate Technology Publications, UNRISD.
- 2005) Globalizing Women: Transnational Feminist Networks Baltimore : John Hopkins University Press. (
- 2005) “Beijing Plus Ten’: An Ambivalent Record on Gender Justice’, Development and Change, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp. 983–1010. and (
- Parpart, J. Rai, S., Staudt, K. (eds) (2002) Rethinking empowerment: Gender and Development in a Global/Local World London : Routledge.
- 2006). ‘Learning for Development’ in R. Eyben (ed.) Relationships for Aid, London and Sterling : Earthscan: 21–42. (
- 2003) ‘Confession, catharsis, or cure? Rethinking the uses of reflexivity as methodological power in qualitative research’, International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 16, 2: 175–196. (
- 2005) Gender and Development 13, 2. and Eds (
- 2006) ‘Mainstreaming Gender in International Prugl, E. and Lustgarten, A. 2006 ‘Mainstreaming Gender in International Organizations’ in (eds) J. Jacquette and G. Summerfield (eds) Women and Gender Equity in Development Theory and Practice Duke University Press: 53–70. and (
- Rainbow, P. (ed.) 1984 The Foucault Reader, New York : Pantheon Books.
- 2006) ‘Gender Equality Architecture and UN Reforms’, Paper submitted to the UN Secretary-General's High Level Panel on System-wide Coherence by the Center for Women's Global Leadership (CWGL) and the Women's Environment and Development Organization (WEDO), July 17, 2006. (
- 2005) ‘Is there life after gender mainstreaming?’ Gender and Development. 13, 2: 57–69. and (
- 1999 Gender at Work: Organizational Change for Equality, Kumarian Press, Sterling VA . , and
- 2006) ‘The Quest for Gender Equality’, in P. Utting (ed.), Reclaiming Development Agendas. Knowledge, Power and International Policy Making, NRISD/Palgrave, Basingstoke . (
- 1990) The Fifth Discipline: the Art and Practice of the Learning Organisation New York : Doubleday, (
- 2008) ‘Promoting the Status of Women in the UN System: Experiences from an Inside Journey’ Forum for Development Studies, 36, 1: 155–191. (
- 1995) Transforming Development: Women, Poverty and Politics – A History of UNIFEM's First 15 Years, Intermediate Technology Publications, London . (
- 2004) ‘Gender, Myth and Fable: The Perils of Mainstreaming in Sector Bureaucracies’ IDS Bulletin 35, 4: 82–88. (
- 2002) ‘Dismantling the Master's House with the Master's Tools? Gender Work in and with Powerful Bureaucracies’, in K. Saunders (ed.), Feminist Post Development Thought: Rethinking Modernity, Post-Colonialism and Representation, Zed Press, London . (
- Staudt, K. (ed.) (1997) Women, International Development and Politics. The Bureaucratic Mire (2nd edn) Philadelphia : Temple University Press.
- 2001) Gendering World Politics, New York : Columbia University Press. (
- 2003) Mainstreaming Gender in Global Public Policy. International Feminist Journal of Politics, 5, 3: 368–306. (
- UN (2004) Advisory Panel ‘Organizational Assessment: UNIFEM, Past, Present and Future’, Report A/60/62 and E/2005/10, United Nations, New York.
- UN (2006a) High-level Panel on System-wide Coherence ‘Terms of Reference for New Study on United Nations System-Wide Coherence in the Areas of Development, Humanitarian Assistance, and the Environment’, http://www.un.org/events/panel/html/page2.html.
- UN (2006b) High-level Panel on System-wide Coherence ‘Report of the Secretary General on System-wide Coherence: ‘Delivering as One”, A/61/583, United Nations, New York.
- UN (2009) ‘The Status of Women in the United Nations System and the Secretariat’, updated in December 2009, United Nations, New York.
- 2005) ‘Comparative Gender Mainstreaming in a Global Era’ in International Feminist Journal of Politics, 7: 4 December, 453–470. (
- 1976) ‘Educational organizations as loosely coupled systems’, Administrative Science Quarterly, 21, 1: 1–19. (