The Great Indian Calorie Debate: Explaining Rising Undernourishment during India's Rapid Economic Growth
Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2013
© 2013 Institute of Development Studies
IDS Working Papers
Special Issue: The Great Indian Calorie Debate: Explaining Rising Undernourishment during India's Rapid Economic Growth
Volume 2013, Issue 430, pages 1–35, August 2013
How to Cite
Smith, L. C. (2013), The Great Indian Calorie Debate: Explaining Rising Undernourishment during India's Rapid Economic Growth. IDS Working Papers, 2013: 1–35. doi: 10.1111/j.2040-0209.2013.00430.x
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2013
- 2008) ‘Estimating the Relationship between Food-Away-from-Home Consumption and Demographic Changes in China: The Role of Hosted Meals’, paper presented at the International Agricultural Trade and Research Consortium (IATRC) Meeting, Washington DC, 7–9 January. ; ; and (
- 2011a) ‘More than 1 Billion People are Hungry in the World. But what if the Experts are Wrong?’, Foreign Policy, May/June. and (
- 2006) ‘Gender Differences in Body Mass Index in Rural India are Determined by SocioEconomic Factors and Lifestyle’, The Journal of Nutrition 136: 3062–8. ; ; ; and (
- 2012) The Calorie Consumption Puzzle in India: An Empirical Investigation, PERI Working Paper Series 285, Amherst : Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts. and (
- 2012) ‘Methods of Household Consumption Measurement through Surveys: Experimental Results from Tanzania’, Journal of Development Economics 98.1: 3–18. ; ; and (
- 2010) ‘The Role of Involvement and Variety-Seeking in Eating Out Behaviors’, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 22.3: 433–44. ; and (
- 2008) ‘Why is the Developed World Obese?’, Annual Review of Public Health 29: 273–95. ; ; and (
- 1992) ‘Are Estimates of Calorie-Income Elasticities Too High? A Recalibration of the Plausible Range’, Journal of Development Economics 39.2: 333–64. and (
- 1992) ‘Does it Matter how we Survey Demand for Food? Evidence from Kenya and the Philippines’, Food Policy, October. ; and (
- 2010) ‘Trends in Food Insecurity in India: Review of Food Insecurity Assessment and Trends in India and Provinces. Analysis of India Consumer Expenditure Surveys 1988–2005’, draft report, Rome : Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. and (
- 2011) Mcdonald's India Franchisee to Open 30 Stores In 2011, Thomson Reuters, Business-msnbc.com (updated 21 February 2011). and (
- 1995) ‘A British Food Puzzle’, The Economic History Review 48.2: 215–37. ; and (
- 2010a) ‘From Calorie Fundamentalism to Cereal Accounting’, Economic and Political Weekly 20 Nov, XLV.47. and (
- 2010b) ‘Nutrition, Poverty and Calorie Fundamentalism: Response to Utsa Patnaik’, Economic and Political Weekly, 3 April, XLV.14. and (
- 2009) ‘Food and Nutrition in India: Facts and Interpretations’, Economic and Political Weekly, 14 February, XLIV.7 http://www.princeton.edu/~deaton/downloads/Food_and_Nutrition_in_India_Facts_and_Interpretations.pdf. and (
- 2005) ‘Data and Dogma: The Great Indian Poverty Debate’, World Bank Research Observer 20.2: 177–99. and (
- de Onis, Mercedes; Garza, Cutberto; Victora, Cesar G.; Bhan, Maharaj K. and Norum, Kaare R. (guest editors) (2004) ‘The WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study (MGRS): Rationale, Planning, and Implementation’, Food and Nutrition Bulletin 25 (supplement 1): S3–S84.
- 2010) Human Development in India: Challenges for a Society in Transition, New Delhi : Oxford University Press. ; ; ; ; and (
- Domain-b.com (2008) Study Reveals America's Worst Restaurants for Kids; Some of them are in India as Well, 5 August.
- 2011) ‘Putting Growth in its Place’, Outlook India, 10 November. and (
- 2002) ‘A New Stage of the Nutrition Transition in China’, Public Health Nutrition 5.1A: 169–74. ; ; and (
- Economic Times (2011) ‘India's GDP Grows at 8.5% in FY-2011, Q4 Growth at 7.8%’, 31 May.
- 2012) ‘Can Caloric Needs Explain Three Food Consumption Puzzles? Evidence from India’, mimeo, University of Toronto. and (
- FAO (2012a) The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2012’, Rome : Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- FAO (2012b) The State of Food Insecurity in The World 2012. Food Security Indicators, Rome : Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, http://www.fao.org/publications/sofi/food-security-indicators/en/ (accessed 25 October 2012).
- FAO (2012c) FAOSTAT, Rome :Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, http://faostat3.fao.org/home/index.html (accessed 29 October 2012).
- FAO (2010) Assessment of Undernourishment Estimates and Trends for India’, project progress report (Draft), Rome : Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- FAO (2006a) The Double Burden of Malnutrition: Case Studies from Six Developing Countries, FAO Food and Nutrition Paper 84, Rome : Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- FAO (2006b) Monitoring MDG and WFS Targets: Latin America and the Caribbean, Statistics Division Working Paper Series ESS/ESSA/003a The Double Burden of Malnutrition: Case Studies from Six Developing Countries, FAO Food and Nutrition Paper 84, Rome : Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- 2009) Strengthening Household Income and Expenditure Surveys as a Tool for Designing and Assessing Food Fortification Programs, IHSN Working Paper 001, International Household Survey Network. (
- 2010) Personal communication. (
- 2010) Affluence, Obesity and Non-Communicable Diseases in India, ASARC Working Paper 2010/08, Canberra : Australia South Asia Research Centre, Arndt-Corden Division of Economics. Australian National University. ; and (
- 2009) How Pervasive is Eating Out In India?, ASARC Working Paper 2009/17, Canberra : Australia South Asia Research Centre, Arndt-Corden Division of Economics. Australian National University. ; and (
- 2007) Demand for Food Quantity and Quality in China, ERS Report Summary, Markets and Trade. Washington DC : Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. and (
- 2005) Principles of Nutritional Assessment, second edition, New York : Oxford University Press. (
- 2004) ‘An Indian Diet Revolution’, India Today, 13 December. (
- 2008) ‘An Integrated Summary of NSS 61st Round (July 2004–June 2005) on “Household Consumer Expenditure in India”’, Sarvekshana: Journal of National Sample Survey Organization, 93rd Issues, XXVIII.1&2. (
- 2002) ‘Role of Food Prepared Away From Home in the American Diet, 1977–78 versus 1994–96: Changes and Consequences’, J Nutr Educ Behav 34.3: 140–50. ; and (
- 2011) ‘Why India Needs a National Nutrition Strategy’, BMJ 343: d6687. (
- 2013) ‘The Impact of the Global Food Crisis on Self-Assessed Food Security’, World Bank Economic Review, published online, 7 January. (
- Hindu, The (2012) ‘India Tops World Diabetes Sufferers List’, Dubai, 14 November.
- 2009) Analysis of Calorie and Micronutrient Consumption in Vietnam, DEPOCEN Working Paper Series 2009/15, Center for Agricultural Policy, Institute of Policy and Strategy for Agriculture and Rural Development. (
- IIPS (International Institute for Population Sciences) and Macro International (2007) National Family Health Survey (NFHS-3), 2005–06: India: Volume I, Mumbai : IIPS.
- India Knowledge@Wharton (2008) Jumbo King: The Making of an Indian Fast-food Chain, University of Pennsylvania, http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/india/article.cfm?articleid=4321 (accessed December 2010).
- Infochange India (2009).
- Institute of Medicine (2000) Dietary Reference Intakes: Applications In Dietary Assessment, Report of the Subcommittee on Interpretation and Uses of Dietary Reference Intakes and the Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes, Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, Washington DC : National Academy Press.
- 2009) ‘Getting Rich and Eating out: Does it Hold True for Malaysian Consumers?’, Universiti Putra Malaysia, OPTIONS 14.2: 3–4. ; , and (
- 1990) Human Energy Requirements, FAO and Oxford Medical Publications. & (
- 2011) ‘High Prevalence of Tobacco Use, Alcohol Use and Overweight in a Rural Population in Tamil Nadu, India’, J Postgrad Med 57.1: 9–15. ; ; ; and (
- 2010) Handbook On Impact Evaluation: Quantitative Methods And Practices, Washington DC : The World Bank. ; and (
- 2009) ‘India, “Cultural Density” and the Model of Food Transition’, Economic and Political Weekly XLIV.20: 59–61. (
- 2003) ‘PSMATCH2: Stata Module to Perform Full Mahalanobis and Propensity Score Matching, Common Support Graphing, And Covariate Imbalance Testing’. Version 3.1.5 2 may 2009 E. Leuven, B. Sianesi. and (
- 2006) ‘Getting Rich and Eating Out: Consumption of Food Away from Home in Urban China’, Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 54: 101–19. ; ; and (
- ‘Separating What We Eat From Where: Measuring the Effect of Food Away from Home on Diet Quality’, Food Policy 34.6: 557–62. ; and
- 2002) ‘Measuring Hunger and Malnutrition’, FIVIMS International Scientific Conference on Methods of Measurement and Assessment of Food Deprivation and Undernutrition. June 26–28, Rome, Italy, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (
- 2003) ‘Food Policy Old And New’, Development Policy Review 21.5–6: 531–53. and (
- McKinsey & Company (2010) India's Urban Awakening: Building Inclusive Cities, Sustaining Economic Growth, New York : McKinsey Global Institute.
- McKinsey & Company (2007) The ‘Bird Of Gold’: The Rise of India's Consumer Market, New York : McKinsey Global Institute.
- 2005) A 360° View of Fast Food and Impulse Habits, Nielsen Trends and Insights, http://asiapacific.acnielsen.com/pubs/2005_q2_ap_fastfood.shtml (accessed December 2010). (
- 2012) ‘Time Use and Physical Activity: A Shift Away from Movement Across the Globe’, Obesity Reviews 13: 659–80. and (
- NNMB (National Nutrition Monitoring Bureau) (2006) Diet and Nutritional Status of Population and Prevalence of Hypertension Among Adults in Rural Areas, NNMB Technical Report 24. National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad .
- NSSO (National Sample Survey Office) (2012) Nutritional Intake in India, NSS 66th Round, Government of India, Report 540 (66/1.0/2), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, National Statistical Organisation, National Sample Survey Office.
- 2005) ‘Can We Set Poverty Lines Using Calorie Norms in India or Bangladesh?’, draft manuscript, University of East Anglia. (
- 2010) ‘New Poverty Lines In India – The Last Hurrah?’, draft, Norwich : School of International Development, University of East Anglia and New Delhi : Jawaharlal Nehru University. and (
- 2004) ‘Groundswell For Mid-Day Meal Scheme’, India Together newsletter, January. and (
- 2010a) ‘A Critical Look at Some Propositions on Consumption and Poverty’, Economic and Political Weekly, 6 Feb, XLV.47. (
- 2010b) ‘On Some Fatal Fallacies’, Economic and Political Weekly, 20 Nov, XLV.47. (
- 2004) Globalization of Indian Diets and the Transformation of Food Supply Systems, ESA Working Paper 04–05, Rome : Agricultural and Development Economics Division. Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. and (
- 2008) The World is Fat: The Fads, Trends, Policies and Products that are Fattening the Human Race, New York : Avery-Penguin Press. (
- 2006) ‘Global Nutrition Dynamics: The World is Shifting Rapidly Toward a Diet Linked with Noncommunicable Diseases (NCDs)’, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 84: 289–98. (
- 2002) ‘Understanding the Nutrition Transition: Measuring Rapid Dietary Changes in Transitional Countries’, Public Health Nutrition 5.6A: 947–53. ; and (
- 2001) ‘Trends in Diet, Nutritional Status, and Diet-Related Noncommunicable Diseases in China and India: The Economic Costs of the Nutrition Transition’, Nutrition Reviews 59.12: 379–90. ; ; ; and (
- 2011) ‘Trends in Energy Intake among US Children by Eating Location and Food Source, 1977–2006’, J Am Diet Assoc 111.8: 1156–64. and (
- 2009) ‘Survey Prevalence and Prevention of Childhood Obesity’, Shiraz E Medical Journal 10.3, July. and (
- 2006) Nutrition Monitoring and Surveillance, New Delhi : Nutrition Foundation of India. (
- 2008) Nutrition Transition in India 1947–2007, New Delhi : Nutrition Foundation of India, http://nutritionfoundationofindia.res.in/NutritionTransition.asp. (
- 2006) The Double Burden of Malnutrition in India. In the Double Burden of Malnutrition: Case Studies from Six Developing Countries, FAO Food and Nutrition Paper 84, Rome : Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (
- 2000) ‘Declining Demand for Foodgrains in Rural India: Causes and Implications’, Economic and Political Weekly 35.4: 201–6. (
- 2007) ‘Dietary Changes, Calorie Intake and Undernourishment: A Comparative Study of India and Vietnam’, paper prepared for the International Seminar on ‘Revisiting the Poverty Issue: Measurement, Identification and Eradication’ in Patna, India, 20–22 July. (
- 2008a) ‘Supermarkets in Emerging Markets: Surprises in and Lessons for India’, presentation at Food Forum India 2008, 7 May. and (
- 2008b) The Rise of Supermarkets and their Development Implications: International Experience Relevant For India, IFPRI Discussion Paper 00752, Washington DC : International Food Policy Research Institute. and (
- 2009) ‘Regional Case Studies – India’, in Kalhan, Satish C., Andrew M. Prentice and Chittaranjan S. Yajnik (eds) Emerging Societies – Coexistence of Childhood Malnutrition and Obesity, Nestlé Nutrition Institute Workshop Series Pediatric Program, Vol 63, pp. 15–24. Nestec Ltd., Vevey?s. Karger AG , Basel . (
- 1995) ‘Practical Rules For Bandwidth Selection In Univariate Density Estimation’, Stata Technical Bulletin 27. , and (
- 2011) ‘Impact of Income on Calorie and Nutrient Intakes: A Cross-Country Analysis’, selected paper prepared for presentation at the Agricultural & Applied Economics Association's 2011 AAEA & NAREA Joint Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 24–26 July. ; and (
- 2006) ‘The Growing Market for High-Value Food Products in Developing and Transition Countries’, Journal of Food Distribution Research 37.1: 22–7. (
- 2002) ‘Nutrition Transition in India’, Public Health Nutrition 5.1A: 175–82. (
- Sibrian, Ricardo (ed.) (2008) Deriving Food Security Information from National Household Budget Surveys; Experiences, Achievements, Challenges, Rome : Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- 2008) Measuring Hunger at Sub National Levels from Household Surveys Using the FAO Approach: Manual, Statistics Division Working Paper Series ESS/ESSGA/5, Rome : Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. ; and (
- 2012) Typology of Food Away From Home, TANGO, International, Tucson , AZ . and (
- USA Smith, Lisa C. and Subandoro, Ali (2007) Measuring Food Security Using Household Expenditure Surveys, Food Security in Practice Series, Washington DC : International Food Policy Research Institute.
- 2013) ‘Assessment of the Reliability and Relevance of the Food Data Collected in National Household Consumption and Expenditure Surveys’, mimeo, Washington DC : International Household Survey Network. ; and (
- State Department of Statistics for Georgia (2001) ‘Georgia Food Security Situation: Trends in Figures’, Statistical Bulletin 4, September.
- 2004) ‘The Obesity Epidemic: Both Energy Intake and Physical Activity Contribute’, MJA, The Medical Journal of Australia 181.9: 489–91. and (
- 2006) ‘Patterns, Distribution, and Determinants of Under- and Overnutrition: A Population-Based Study of Women in India’, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 84.3: 633–40. and (
- 2010) ‘Obese India: A Ticking Time Bomb’, RxPG News: Medical News Channel, 25 November 2008. (
- UNU, WHO, and FAO (United Nations University, World Health Organization, and Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) (2004) Human Energy Requirements: Report of a Joint FAO/WHO/UNU Expert Consultation, Rome, 17–24 October 2001, FAO Food and Nutrition Technical Report Series 1. Rome : FAO.
- U.S. Census Bureau (2012) International Programs, International Programs Data, http://www.census.gov/population/international/data (accessed 25 October 2012).
- 2010) 2010 Global Hunger Index. The Challenge of Hunger: Focus on the Crisis of Child Undernutrition, Bonn , Washington DC , Dublin : Welt hunger hilfe, International Food Policy Research Institute and Concern Worldwide. ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; and (
- 2009) ‘Is Obesity Becoming a Public Health Problem In India? Examining the Shift from Under- to Overnutrition Problems Over Time’, Obesity Reviews 10: 456–74. ; ; and (
- 2012) World Development Indicators, http://data.worldbank.org/data-catalog/world-development-indicators (accessed October 2012). (
- 2010) Poverty Headcount Ratio at $1.25 A Day (PPP) (% of Population), http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SI.POV.DDAY (accessed December 2010). (