Measuring the ‘Inclusivity’ of Inclusive Business
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2012
© 2012 Institute of Development Studies
IDS Practice Papers
Special Issue: Measuring the ‘Inclusivity’ of Inclusive Business
Volume 2012, Issue 9, pages 01–30, April 2012
How to Cite
Wach, E. (2012), Measuring the ‘Inclusivity’ of Inclusive Business. IDS Practice Papers, 2012: 01–30. doi: 10.1111/j.2040-0225.2012.00009_2.x
- Issue published online: 29 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2012
- 2009) ‘Harnessing Core Business for Development Impact: Evolving Ideas and Issues for Action’, ODI Background Note, London : Overseas Development Institute (ODI). (
- 2008) ‘Measuring the Impact of Business on Development’, ODI Opinion, April, London : Overseas Development Institute (ODI). (
- 2009) ‘Approaches to Assessing Business Impacts on Development’, draft framework paper for 12 May 2009 Meeting Series on Harnessing the Power of the Private Sector for Development, Overseas Development Institute. ; and (
- 2007) ‘The Economic Lives of the Poor’, Journal of Economic Perspectives 21.1: 141–67. and (
- BIF (Business Innovation Facility Practitioner Hub) (2011) ‘What is Inclusive Business’, Briefing Note 1, Business Innovation Facility & Innovations Against Poverty, http://www.globalhand.org/system/assets/b60414e3e4b8d043b46c573849258cc53df86912/original/What_do_we_mean_by_IB_20April2011.pdf?1320206957 (accessed 14 March 2012).
- 2006) ‘Avoiding the Local Trap: Scale and Food Systems in Planning Research’, Journal of Planning Education and Research 26: 195–207. and (
- 2008) ‘Women Beneficiaries or Women Bearing the Cost? A Gendered Analysis of the Red de Proteccion Social in Nicaragua’, Development and Change 39.5: 823–44. and (
- BCtA (Business Call to Action) (2011) Vodafone Expanding Access to Financial Services, http://www.businesscalltoaction.org/wp-content/files_mf/1287678958BCtAVodafoneCaseStudyForWeb.pdf (accessed August 2011).
- BCtA (Business Call to Action) (2010) Measuring Value of Business Call to Action Initiatives: A Results Reporting Framework, New York : United Nations Development Program.
- 2007) ‘Are RCTs the Gold Standard?’, BioSocieties 2, London : London School of Economics and Political Science: 11–20. (
- CGD (2006) When Will We Ever Learn?, Report of the Evaluation Gap Working Group, Washington DC : Center for Global Development.
- 2004) Ideas for Development: Reflecting Forwards, IDS Working Paper 238, Brighton : IDS. (
- 2008) ‘Is CSR just Corporates Saying the Right Things?’, ODI Opinion 100, April. (
- 1970) ‘The Social Responsibility of Business to Increase its Profits’, The New York Times Magazine, 13 September 1970. (
- 2010) ‘Challenges in Marketing Socially Useful Goods to the Poor’, California Management Review 52.4, Berkeley. and (
- 2011) Impact Evaluation in Practice, Washington DC : The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank. ; ; ; and (
- 1996) ‘Who takes the Credit? Gender, Power, and Control over Loan Use in Rural Credit Programs in Bangladesh’, World Development 24.1. and (
- 2010) Inclusive Business Guide: How to Develop Business and Fight Poverty, Berlin : Endeva. and (
- J-PAL (2011) Program Theory Assessment, http://www.povertyactionlab.org/methodology/what-evaluation/program-theory-assessment (accessed July 2011).
- 1994) Reversed Realities: Gender Hierarchies in Development Thought, Ch. 9, London : Verso Press: 264–305. (
- 2010) Handbook on Impact Evaluation: Quantitative Methods and Practices, Washington DC : The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank. ; and (
- 2008) Measuring Unilever's Economic Footprint: The Case of South Africa, London : Unilever. (
- 2011) More than Good Intentions: How a New Economics is Helping to Solve Global Poverty, New York : Penguin Group. and (
- 2007) ‘The Mirage of Marketing to the Bottom of the Pyramid: How the Private Sector can Help Alleviate Poverty’, California Management Review 49.4: 90–111. (
- 2004) A Handbook for Development Practitioners: Ten Steps to a Results-Based Monitoring and Evaluation System, Washington DC : World Bank. and (
- 2008) Business and the Millennium Development Goals: A Framework for Action, 2nd edition, London : International Business Leaders Forum. and (
- Oxfam America, The Coca-Cola Company and SABMiller (2011) Exploring the Links between International Business and Poverty Reduction: The Coca-Cola/SABMiller Value Chain Impacts in Zambia and El Salvador.
- Oxfam International (2009) ‘Oxfam Poverty Footprint: Understanding Business Contribution to Development’, Briefings for Business 4, Oxford : Oxfam International Secretariat.
- 2009) The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts are Bad for Business, London : Pinter & Martin Ltd. (
- 2004) The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty through Profits, Philadelphia : Wharton School Publishing. (
- 2001) ‘The Mystery of the Vanishing Benefits: An Introduction to Impact Evaluation’, The World Bank Economic Review 15.1: 115–40. (
- 2009) Development Sourcing: Small and Local, Ethical Corporation, http://www.ethicalcorp.com/governance-regulation/development-sourcing-small-and-local (accessed July 2011). (
- SNV and WBCSD (2011) Nestle Peru and the WBCSD-SNV Alliance for Inclusive Business: ‘Bienestar en Casa’: Measuring the Impact of an Innovative Distribution Business Model for Nutritional Food in Peru, http://www.inclusivebusiness.org/nestle_peru_measuring_impact_march2011.pdf (accessed May 2011).
- 2008) The 2008 Reader on Private Sector Development: Measuring and Reporting Results, Turin , Italy : International Training Centre. (
- 2000) ‘The Use of Social Accounting Matrices in Modeling’, paper prepared for the 26th General Conference of The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, Cracow, Poland 2000. (
- UNDP (2008) Creating Value for All: Strategies for Doing Business with the Poor, New York : United Nations Development Programme.
- UNEP (2009) Towards Triple Impact: Toolbox for Analysing Sustainable Ventures in Developing Countries, United Nations Environment Programme.
- 2009) Theory-based Impact Evaluation: Principles and Practice, 3ie Working Paper 3, New Delhi : International Initiative for Impact Evaluation. (
- 2007) Evaluating Aid Impact, Research Paper 2007/75, Helsinki , Finland : World Institute for Development Economics Research of the United Nations University (UNU-WIDER). (
- WBCSD (World Business Council on Sustainable Development) (2011) Unilever in Indonesia: Links between International Business and Poverty Reduction?, http://www.wbcsd.org/plugins/DocSearch/details.asp?type=DocDet&ObjectId=MTc5Njg (accessed May 2011).
- WBCSD (World Business Council on Sustainable Development) (2008) WBCSD Measuring Impact Framework – Version 1.0, World Business Council on Sustainable Development and International Finance Corporation, World Bank Group.
- WBCSD and SNV (2011) Inclusive Business: Creating Value in Latin America, World Business Council for Sustainable Development and SNV Development Organisation.