Correspondence site: http://www.respond2articles.com/MEE/
phytools: an R package for phylogenetic comparative biology (and other things)
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Author. Methods in Ecology and Evolution © 2011 British Ecological Society
Methods in Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 217–223, April 2012
How to Cite
Revell, L. J. (2012), phytools: an R package for phylogenetic comparative biology (and other things). Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 3: 217–223. doi: 10.1111/j.2041-210X.2011.00169.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2011
- Received 20 August 2011; accepted 7 November 2011 Handling Editor: Robert Freckleton
- computational biology;
1. Here, I present a new, multifunctional phylogenetics package, phytools, for the R statistical computing environment.
2. The focus of the package is on methods for phylogenetic comparative biology; however, it also includes tools for tree inference, phylogeny input/output, plotting, manipulation and several other tasks.
3. I describe and tabulate the major methods implemented in phytools, and in addition provide some demonstration of its use in the form of two illustrative examples.
4. Finally, I conclude by briefly describing an active web-log that I use to document present and future developments for phytools. I also note other web resources for phylogenetics in the R computational environment.