GeoLight – processing and analysing light-based geolocator data in R
Article first published online: 1 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Methods in Ecology and Evolution © 2012 British Ecological Society
Methods in Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1055–1059, December 2012
How to Cite
Lisovski, S., Hahn, S. (2012), GeoLight – processing and analysing light-based geolocator data in R. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 3: 1055–1059. doi: 10.1111/j.2041-210X.2012.00248.x
- Issue published online: 11 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 JUN 2012
- Swiss National Science Foundation
- archival tag;
- bird migration;
- Determining global position by light measurements (‘geolocation’) has revolutionised the methods used to track migratory birds throughout their annual cycle.
- To date, there is no standard way of analysing geolocator data, making communication of analyses cumbersome and hampering the reproducibility of results.
- We have, therefore, developed the R package GeoLight, which provides basic functions for all steps of determining global positioning and a new approach in analysing movement pattern.
- Here, we briefly introduce and discuss the major functions of this package using example movement data of European hoopoe (Upupa epops).