Do we need different frameworks to explain infant MNEs from developing countries?
Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2012
Copyright © 2012 Strategic Management Society
Global Strategy Journal
Special Issue: Developing Country Multinational Companies. Guest Editor: Alvaro Cuervo-Cazurra
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 188–204, August 2012
How to Cite
Narula, R. (2012), Do we need different frameworks to explain infant MNEs from developing countries?. Global Strategy Journal, 2: 188–204. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-5805.2012.01035.x
- Issue online: 13 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2012
- 2008. Does firm ownership matter? POEs vs. FOEs in the developing world. In Emerging Multinationals from Emerging Markets, Ramamurti R, Singh J (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, U.K. .
- 1990. Beyond dyadic exchange: functional interdependence and sub-unit power. Organization Studies 11: 481–501. , .
- 2007. Emerging multinationals from developing economies: motivations, paths and performance. Journal of International Management 13(3): 235–240. .
- 2002. Multinational enterprises from small economies: internationalization patterns of large companies from Denmark, Finland and Norway. International Studies of Management and Organization 32: 57–78. , , , .
- 2007. The determinants of Chinese outward foreign direct investment. Journal of International Business Studies 38: 499–518. , , , , , .
- 1989. Technological Innovation and Multinational Corporations. Basil Blackwell: Oxford, U.K. .
- 1999. The frontier of international technology networks: sourcing abroad the most highly tacit capabilities. Information Economics and Policy 11(1): 101–123. , .
- 2005. The internationalization of Chinese firms: a case for theoretical revision? Management and Organization Review 1(3): 381–410. , .
- 1990. Absorptive capacity: a new perspective on learning and innovation. Administrative Science Quarterly 35: 128–152. , .
- 2009. Inter-firm reverse technology transfer: the home country effect of R&D internationalization. Industrial and Corporate Change 18(5): 869–899. .
- 2008. A novel approach to national technological accumulation and absorptive capacity: aggregating Cohen and Levinthal. The European Journal of Development Research 20(1): 56–73. , .
- 2007. Sequence of value-added activities in the multinationalization of developing country firms. Journal of International Management 13: 258–277. .
- 2008. The multinationalization of developing country MNEs: the case of Multilatinas. Journal of International Management 14: 138–154. .
- 2008. Transforming disadvantages into advantages: developing countries MNEs in the least developed countries. Journal of International Business Studies 39: 957–979. , .
- 2010. Extending the investment development path explanation of outward foreign direct investment of developing countries: the role of pro-market reforms and regulatory escape. Paper presented at 2nd Copenhagen Conference on ‘Emerging Multinationals:’ Outward Investment from Emerging and Developing Economies. 25 November. , .
- 2007. Regional competitive advantage based on pioneering economic reforms: the case of Chilean FDI. Journal of International Business Studies 38: 901–927. , .
- 1993. Organizational learning: a review of some literatures. Organization Studies 14: 375–394. .
- 1993. Multinational Enterprises and the Global Economy. Addison-Wesley: New York. .
- 1996. The investment development path revisited: some emerging issues. In Foreign Direct Investment and Governments: Catalysts for Economic Restructuring, Dunning JH, Narula R (eds). Routledge: London, U.K. , .
- 2007. Building capabilities for international operations through networks: a study of Indian firms. Journal of International Business Studies 38: 541–555. , .
- 2011. The role of dual embeddedness in the innovative performance of MNE subsidiaries: evidence from Brazil. Journal of Management Studies 48(2): 417–440. .
- 2009. Internationalization trajectories—a cross-country comparison: are large Chinese and Indian companies different? Industrial and Corporate Change 18(2): 223–247. , .
- 2009. FDI from developing to developing countries: key role of institutions and future prospects. Paper presented at 36th AIB-UKI Conference, Glasgow, U.K. 2–4 April. , , .
- 2009. Economic and strategic considerations surrounding Chinese FDI in the UnitedStates. Asia Pacific Journal of Management 26: 163–183. , .
- 2007. Multinational Companies from Emerging Economies: Composition, Conceptualization and Direction in the Global Economy. Palgrave Macmillan: London, U.K. .
- 1985. Economic action and social structure: the problem of embeddedness. American Journal of Sociology 91: 481–510. .
- 2003. Outsourcing versus FDI in industry equilibrium. Journal of the European Economic Association 1(2–3): 317–327. , .
- 2010. The New Multinationals. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, U.K. , .
- 2011. Beyond the bamboo network: the internationalization process of Thai family business groups. PhD dissertation, Stockholm School of Economics. .
- Emerging market multinationals and the theory of the multinational enterprise. Global Strategy Journal. Forthcoming. .
- 2009. Down with MNE-centric theories! Market entry and expansion as the bundling of MNE and local assets. Journal of International Business Studies 40: 1432–1454. .
- 1976. The International Operations of National Firms: A Study of Direct Foreign Investment. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 2001. Information technology, cumulative causation and patterns of globalization in the third world. Review of International Political Economy 8: 147–162. .
- 2011. The economic geography of offshoring: the fit between activities and local context. Journal of Management Studies 48(2): 352–372. , .
- 1977. The internationalization process of the firm: a model of knowledge development and increasing foreign market commitments. Journal of International Business Studies 8: 23–32. , .
- 2009. The Uppsala internationalization process model revisited: from liability of foreignness to liability of outsidership. Journal of International Business Studies 40: 1411–1431. , .
- Khan KM (ed). 1986. Multinationals of the South: New Actors in the International Economy. Frances Printer Publishers: London, U.K.
- 2000. The future of business groups in emerging markets: long-run evidence from Chile. Academy of Management Journal 43(3): 268–285. , .
- 2006. Emerging giants: building world class companies in developing economies. Harvard Business Review 84(100): 60–70. , .
- 2007. Emerging global contenders: the South African experience. Journal of International Management 13: 319–337. , .
- 1993. Knowledge of the firm and the evolutionary theory of the multinational corporation. Journal of International Business Studies 24: 625–645. , .
- 1981. Multinationals from Developing Countries. Lexington Books: Toronto, Canada. , (eds).
- 2009. India's outward foreign direct investments in steel industry in a Chinese comparative perspective. Industrial and Corporate Change 18(2): 249–267. , .
- 1983. Third World Multinationals. John Wiley & Sons: Chichester, U.K. .
- 1977. Direct investment by firms from less developed countries. Oxford Economic Papers 29(3): 442–457. .
- 1993. Outward direct investment by Indonesian firms: motivation and effects. Journal of International Business Studies 24(3): 589–600. .
- 2007. Toward an integrated theory of multinational evolution: the evidence of Chinese multinational enterprises as latecomers. Journal of International Management 13(3): 296–318. .
- 2007. International expansion of emerging market enterprises: a springboard perspective. Journal of International Business Studies 38(4): 481–498. , .
- 2001. Towards a synthesis of the resource-based and dynamic-capability views of rent creation. Strategic Management Journal 22(5): 387–401. .
- 1991. Exploration and exploitation in organizational learning. Organizational Science 2: 71–87. .
- 2006. Dragon multinational: new players in 21st century globalization. Asia Pacific Journal of Management 23: 139–141. .
- 2011. MNEs and local contexts: location, control and value creation. Journal of Management Studies 48(2): 253–277. , , .
- 2008. Location, control, and innovation in knowledge-intensive industries. Journal of Economic Geography 8(5): 699–725. .
- 1996. Multinational Investment and Economic Structure. Routledge: London, U.K. .
- 2002. Innovation systems and ‘inertia’ in R&D location: Norwegian firms and the role of systematic lock-in. Research Policy 31(5): 795–816. .
- 2003. Globalization and Technology: Interdependence, Innovation Systems and Industrial Policy. Polity Press: Cambridge, U.K. .
- 2006. Globalization, new ecologies, new zoologies, and the purported death of the eclectic paradigm. Asia Pacific Journal of Management 23(2): 143–151. .
- 2010. Keeping the eclectic paradigm simple. Multinational Business Review 18(2): 35–50. .
- 2000. Industrial development, globalization and multinational enterprises: new realities for developing countries. Oxford Development Studies 28(2): 141–167. , .
- 2010. Multinational enterprises, development and globalization: some clarifications and a research agenda. Oxford Development Studies 38(3): 263–287. , .
- 2012. Location and collocation advantages in international innovation. Multinational Business Review 20(1): 6–25. , .
- 2007. The changing dynamics of Thai multinationals after the Asian economic crisis. Journal of International Management 13(3): 356–375. .
- 1990. The Competitive Advantage of Nations. Free Press: New York; 341–363. .
- 2008a. What have we learned about emerging MNEs? In Emerging Multinationals from Emerging Markets, Ramamurti R, Singh J (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, U.K. .
- 2008b. Why study emerging-market multinationals? In Emerging Multinationals from Emerging Markets, Ramamurti R, Singh J (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, U.K. .
- 2008. Theoretical aspects of MNEs from emerging economies. In Emerging Multinationals from Emerging Markets, Ramamurti R, Singh J (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, U.K. .
- 2004. A perspective on regional and global strategies of multinational enterprises. Journal of International Business Studies 35: 3–18. , .
- 2011. Extending the internationalization process model: increases and decreases of MNE commitment in emerging economies. Journal of International Business Studies 42: 894–909. , .
- 2003. Outward foreign direct investment by Portuguese companies: relevance and lessons for transition. In Facilitating Transition by Internationalization, Svetlicic M, Rojec M (eds). Ashgate: Aldershot, U.K.; 29–48. .
- 2004. Knowledge, clusters and competitive advantage. Academy of Management Review 29: 258–271. , , , .
- 2010. Business group's outward FDI: a managerial resources perspective. Journal of International Management 16(2): 154–164. , .
- 1994. The dynamic capabilities of firms: an introduction. Industrial and Corporate Change 3(3): 537–556. , .
- UNCTAD. 2006. World Investment Report, 2006. United Nations: Geneva, Switzerland.
- UNCTAD. 2010. World Investment Report, 2010. United Nations: Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2009. International Business Strategy. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, U.K. .
- 2007. Outward foreign direct investment as escape response to home country institutional constraints. Journal of International Business Studies 38(4): 579–594. , .
- 2007. International venturing by emerging economy firms: the effects of firm capabilities, home country networks and corporate entrepreneurship. Journal of International Business Studies 38: 519–540. , , .
- 1995. Overcoming the liability of foreignness. Academy of Management Journal 38(2): 341–363. .