Global Sourcing of Services: Risk, Process, and Collaborative Architecture
Article first published online: 10 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Strategic Management Society
Global Strategy Journal
Special Issue: Strategic Modularity and the Architecture of Multinational Firm. Guest Editors: Gerald McDermott, Ram Mudambi, and Ronaldo Parente
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 67–87, February 2013
How to Cite
Jensen, P. D. Ø. and Petersen, B. (2013), Global Sourcing of Services: Risk, Process, and Collaborative Architecture. Global Strategy Journal, 3: 67–87. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-5805.2012.01049.x
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 10 JAN 2013
- 1999. The policy implications of the globalisation of innovation. Research Policy 28: 317–336. , .
- 1978. Organizational Learning: A Theory of Action Perspective. Addison-Wesley: Reading, MA. , .
- 1993. Creating readiness for organizational change. Human Relations 46: 681–703. , , .
- 1991. Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of Management 17: 99–120. .
- 1989. Managing Across Borders: The Transnational Solution. Harvard Business School Press: Boston, MA. , .
- 2009. Is there a trend towards global value chain specialization? An examination of cross border sales of U.S. foreign affiliates. Journal of International Management 15: 126–141. , , .
- 1998. Multinational Corporate Evolution and Subsidiary Development. St. Martin's Press: New York. , .
- 1998. Stages of global sourcing strategy evolution: an exploratory study. Journal of Operations Management 16: 241–255. , , .
- 1980. Risk taking propensity of entrepreneurs. Academy of Management Journal 23: 509–520. .
- 1976. The Future of the Multinational Enterprise. Macmillan: London, U.K. , .
- 2011. Conceptual issues in services offshoring research: a multidisciplinary review. Group and Organization Management 36: 70–102. , , , , .
- 2005. MNE competence-creating subsidiary mandates. Strategic Management Journal 26(12): 1109–1128. , .
- 2003. Open Innovation—The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology. Harvard Business School Press: Boston, MA. .
- 2005. Cooperative Strategy: Managing Alliances, Networks, and Joint Ventures. Oxford University Press: Oxford, U.K. , , .
- 2000. Protecting their intellectual assets: appropriability conditions and why U.S. manufacturing firms patent (or not). Working paper WP 7552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA. , , .
- 1991. A historical comparison of resource-based theory and five schools of thought within industrial organization economics: do we have a new theory of the firm? Journal of Management 17: 121–154. .
- 2010. Reconceptualizing the firm in a world of outsourcing and offshoring: the organizational and geographical relocation of high-value company functions. Journal of Management Studies 47: 1417–1433. , , , .
- 1998. The relational view: cooperative strategy and sources of interorganizational competitive advantage. Academy of Management Review 23: 660–679. , .
- 1989. Building theories from case study research. Academy of Management Review 14: 532–550. .
- 2008. Offshore outsourcing of professional services: a transaction cost economics perspective. Journal of Operations Management 26: 148–163. , , .
- 1997. Experiential knowledge and cost in the internationalization process. Journal of International Business Studies 28: 337–360. , , , .
- 1985. Organizational learning. Academy of Management Review 10: 803–813. , .
- 2002. The concept of learning in the Uppsala internationalization process model: a critical review. International Business Review 11: 257–277. .
- 2006. Internationalisation of R&D: trends, drivers, and managerial challenges. International Journal of Technology and Globalisation 2: 177–199. .
- 1999. New concepts and trends in international R&D organization. Research Policy 28: 231–250. , .
- 1992. Risk attitude, ambiguity intolerance, and decision making: an exploratory investigation. Decision Sciences 23: 431–444. , .
- 2000. Knowledge and the multinational enterprise. In International Business: Emerging Issues and Emerging Markets, Millar C , Grant R , Choi C (eds). St. Martin's Press: New York; 102–129. , , .
- 1984. Structural inertia and organizational change. American Sociological Review 49: 149–164. , .
- 2009. A grounded exploration of organisational risk propensity. Journal of Risk Research 12: 563–579. , , .
- 2003. Culture's Consequences: Comparing Values Behaviors, Institutions, and Organizations Across Nations (2nd edn). SAGE Publications: London, U.K. .
- 2007. The role of path dependency and managerial intentionality: a perspective on international business research. Journal of International Business Studies 38: 1055–1068. , , .
- 1995. On legitimacy, legitimation, and organizations: a critical review and integrative theoretical model. Academy of Management Journal, Special Issue 1: 241–245. .
- 1992. Specific and general knowledge, and organizational structure. In Contract Economics, Werin L , Wijkander H (eds). Blackwell: Oxford, U.K.; 251–274. , .
- 2012. A passage to India: a dual case study of activities, processes, and resources in offshore outsourcing of advanced services. Journal of World Business 47: 311–326. .
- 2011. The economic geography of offshoring: the fit between activities and local context. Journal of Management Studies 48: 352–372. , .
- 1977. The internationalization process of the firm: a model of knowledge development and increasing foreign market commitments. Journal of International Business Studies 8: 23–32. , .
- 2003. Micro strategy and strategizing: towards an activity-based view. Journal of Management Studies 40: 3–22. , , .
- 2007. International outsourcing of services: a partnership model. Journal of International Management 13: 22–37. , .
- 1984. Measurement of risk takers' personality. Psychological Reports 55: 163–167. , .
- 1985. Chancing It: Why We Take Risks. Little Brown and Company: Boston, MA. .
- 1994. Operating flexibility, global manufacturing, and the option value of a multinational network. Management Science 40: 123–139. , .
- 1999. Organizational legitimacy under conditions of uncertainty: the case of the multinational enterprise. Academy of Management Review 24: 64–81. , .
- 1989. Hollowing-out of U.S. multinationals and their global competitiveness. Journal of Business Research 19: 1–15. .
- 2008. An evolutionary stage model of outsourcing and competence destruction: a triad comparison of the consumer electronics industry. Management International Review 48: 65–93. , , .
- 1995. Leading change: why transformation efforts fail. Harvard Business Review 73: 59–67. .
- 1999. The drivers of foreign direct investment into research and development: an empirical investigation. Journal of International Business Studies 30: 1–24. .
- 2009. Offshoring and the global distribution of work: implications for task interdependence theory and practice. Journal of International Business Studies 40: 642–667. , .
- 2002. Organizational cognition and interpretation. In The Blackwell Companion to Organizations, Baum JAC (ed). Blackwell: Oxford, U.K.; 344–362. .
- 1987. Appropriating the returns from industrial research and development. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity 3: 783–831. , , , , .
- 2007. Next Generation Offshoring: The Globalization of Innovation. Duke Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER): Raleigh, NC. , .
- 2009. Why are companies offshoring innovation? The emerging global race for talent. Journal of International Business Studies 40: 901–925. , , .
- 1959. The science of ‘muddling through.’ Public Administration Review 19: 79–88. .
- 1985. Product Innovation and User-Producer Interaction. Industrial Development Research Series No. 31, Aalborg Universitetsforlag, Aalborg, Denmark. .
- 2000. Nation states and economic development: from national systems of production to national systems of knowledge creation and learning. In The Oxford Handbook of Economic Geography, Clark GL , Feldmann MP , Gertler MS (eds). Oxford University Press: New York; 353–372. , .
- 1985. A portfolio of risk measures. Theory and Decision 19: 1–29. , .
- 1991. Exploration and exploitation in organizational learning. Organization Science 2: 71–87. .
- 1987. Managerial perspectives on risk and risk taking. Management Science 33: 1404–1418. , .
- 2004. Tacitness, learning, and international expansion: a study of foreign direct investment in a knowledge-intensive industry. Organization Science 14: 297–311. , .
- 1998. Competitiveness, Localised Learning, and Regional Development: Specialisation and Prosperity in Small Open Economies. Routledge: London, U.K. , , , , .
- 1999: Localised learning and industrial competitiveness. Cambridge Journal of Economics 23: 167–185. , .
- 2007. Learning paths to offshore outsourcing: from cost reduction to knowledge seeking. Industry and Innovation 14: 239–257. , , , .
- 1979. An emergent strategy of ‘direct’ research. Administrative Science Quarterly 24: 582–589. .
- 1995. Organizational risk perception and reduction: a literature review. British Journal of Management 6: 115–133. .
- 2007. Outsourcing: Design, Process, Performance. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, U.K. .
- 2008. Location, control, and innovation in knowledge-intensive industries. Journal of Economic Geography 8: 699–725. .
- 2011. Hierarchy, coordination, and innovation in the multinational enterprise. Global Strategy Journal 1(3/4): 317–323. .
- 2009. Professional guilds, tension, and knowledge management. Research Policy 38: 736–745. , .
- 2010. Make, buy, or ally? Theoretical perspectives on knowledge process outsourcing through alliances. Journal of Management Studies 47: 1434–1456. , .
- 1990. What is public and what is private about technology? Consortium on Competitiveness and Corporations working paper 90–9, Center for Research in Management, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA. .
- 1982. An Evolutionary Theory of Economic Change. Belknap Press of Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA. , .
- 1997. The Differentiated Network: Organizing Multinational Corporations for Value Creation. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, CA. , .
- 1994. A dynamic theory of organizational knowledge creation. Organization Science 5: 14–37. .
- 2001. How do organizations think? In Organizational Cognition: Computation and Interpretation, Lant TK , Shapira Z (eds). Erlbaum: Mahwah, NJ; 39–60. .
- 2002. Thinking of a merger … do you know their risk propensity profile? Organizational Dynamics 30: 206–222. , .
- 2010. Managing the internalisation process. Management International Review 50: 137–154. , , .
- 1990. Longitudinal field research on change: theory and practice. Organization Science 1: 267–292. .
- 1958. Personal Knowledge. Harper & Row: New York. .
- 1985. Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance. Free Press: New York. .
- 1986. Competition in Global Industries. Harvard Business School Press: Boston, MA. .
- 1990. Competitive Advantage of Nations. Free Press: New York. .
- 2004. Co-creation experiences: the next practice in value creation. Journal of Interactive Marketing 18: 5–14. , .
- 1994. Strategic outsourcing. Sloan Management Review 35: 43–55. , .
- 2001. Subsidiary-specific advantages in multinational enterprises. Strategic Management Journal 22(3): 237–250. , .
- 1986. Reflection in preferences under risk: who and when may suggest why. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance 12: 535–548. , .
- 2000. Social capital: a review and critic. In Social Capital, Baron S , Field J , Schuller T (eds). Oxford University Press: Oxford, U.K. , , .
- 1990. The Fifth Discipline. Random House: New York. .
- 1995. Determinants of risky decision-making behavior: a test of the mediating role of risk perceptions and propensity. Academy of Management Journal 38: 1573–1592. , .
- 1972. Information processing, situation specificity, and the generality of risk-taking behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 22: 128–134. .
- 1998. Configuring value for competitive advantage: on chains, shops, and networks. Strategic Management Journal 19(5): 413–437. , .
- 1990. Grounded theory research: procedures, canons, and evaluative criteria. Qualitative Sociology 13: 3–21. , .
- 1995. Managing legitimacy: strategic and institutional approaches. Academy of Management Journal 20: 571–610. .
- 1996. Exploring internal stickiness: impediments to the transfer of best practice within the firm. Strategic Management Journal, Winter Special Issue 17: 27–43. .
- 2003. Sticky Knowledge: Barriers to Knowing in the Firm. SAGE Publications: London, U.K. .
- 1974. Relative contribution of decision-maker attributes to decision processes. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance 12: 286–298. , .
- 1977. Technology transfer by multinational firms: the resource cost of transferring technological know-how. The Economic Journal 87: 242–261. .
- 1981. The R&D and technology transfer activities of multinational firms. In Technology Transfer and Economic Development, Hawkins R (ed). JAI Press: Greenwich, CT. .
- 1986a. Firm boundaries, technological innovation, and strategic management. In The Economics of Strategic Planning: Essays in Honor of Joel Dean, Thomas LG (ed). Lexington Books: Lexington, MA. .
- 1986b. Profiting from technological innovation: implications for integration, collaboration, licensing, and public policy. Research Policy 15: 785–805. .
- 1967. Organizations in Action. McGraw-Hill: New York. .
- UNCTAD. 2005. World Investment Report: Transnational Corporations and the Internationalization of R&D. United Nations Conference on Trade and Development: Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2009. A longitudinal examination of partnership governance in offshoring: a moving target. Journal of World Business 44: 16–30. , , .
- 1980. Rational and personal aspects of risk. Acta Psychologica 45: 273–300. , .
- 1986. Lead users: a source of novel product concepts. Management Science 32: 791–805. .
- 1994. ‘Sticky information’ and the locus of problem solving: implications for innovation. Management Science 40: 429–439. .
- 2004. Organizing global R&D: challenges and dilemmas. Journal of International Management 10: 21–49. , , .
- 1996. Risk propensity and firm performance: a study of the petroleum exploration industry. Management Science 42: 1004–1021. , .
- 1979. The Social Psychology of Organizing (2nd edn). McGraw-Hill: New York. .
- 1995. European Business Systems: Firms and Markets in their National Contexts. SAGE Publications: London, U.K. .
- 2007. How does our perception of risk influence decision-making? Implications for the design of risk information. Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science 8: 1–35. , .
- 1975. Markets and Hierarchies: Analysis and Antitrust Implications, A Study in the Economics of Internal Organization. Free Press: New York. .
- 1983. Credible commitments: using hostages to support exchange. American Economic Review 73: 519–540. .
- 2008. Outsourcing: transaction cost economics and supply chain management. Journal of Supply Chain Management 44: 5–16. .
- 2001. Replication as strategy. Organization Science 12: 730–743. , .