The Outsourcing Strategy of Local and Multinational Firms: A Supply Base Perspective
Article first published online: 7 FEB 2014
Copyright © 2014 Strategic Management Society
Global Strategy Journal
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 20–34, February 2014
How to Cite
Mol, M. J. and Brewster, C. (2014), The Outsourcing Strategy of Local and Multinational Firms: A Supply Base Perspective. Global Strategy Journal, 4: 20–34. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-5805.2013.01070.x
- Issue published online: 7 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 7 FEB 2014
- 1999. How a firm's capabilities affect boundary decisions. Sloan Management Review 40(3): 137–145.
- 2010. An institutional approach to cross-national distance. Journal of International Business Studies 41(9): 1460–1480. , , .
- 2013. The antecedents and innovation effects of domestic and offshore R&D outsourcing: the contingent impact of cognitive distance and absorptive capacity. Strategic Management Journal 34(6): 751–760. , .
- 2008. Similarity, isomorphism, or duality? Recent survey evidence on the human resource management policies of multinational corporations. British Journal of Management 19(4): 320–342. , , .
- 2007. Boundaries of the firm: insights from international entry mode research. Journal of Management 33(3): 395–425. ,
- 2001. Knowledge specialization, organizational coupling, and the boundaries of the firm: why do firms know more than they make? Administrative Science Quarterly 46(4): 597–621. , , .
- 1976. The Future of the Multinational Enterprise. Macmillan: London, U.K. , .
- 2005. Microeconometrics: Methods and Applications. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, U.K. , .
- 1937. The nature of the firm. Economica 4(16): 386–405.
- 2010. Cross-border acquisition abandonment and completion: the effect of institutional differences and organizational learning in the international business service industry, 1981–2001. Journal of International Business Studies 41(2): 223–245. , ,
- 2006. Examining the cross-national applicability of multi-item, multi-dimensional measures using generalizability theory. Journal of International Business Studies 37(4): 469–481. , , , .
- 2005. National culture and human resource management: assumptions and evidence. International Journal of Human Resource Management 16(6): 971–986. , .
- 2011. Country effect on firm performance: a multilevel approach. Journal of Business Research 64(3): 273–279. , , .
- 2001. Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage. Oxford University Press: New York. , .
- 2007. Dynamic Capabilities: Understanding Strategic Change in Organizations. Blackwell: Malden, MA. , , , , , , .
- 1980. Culture's Consequences: International Differences in Work-Related Values. SAGE Publications: Beverly Hills, CA.
- 2010. Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind (3rd edn). McGraw-Hill: New York. , .
- 2002. What goals do business leaders pursue? A study in fifteen countries. Journal of International Business Studies 33(4): 785–803. , , ,
- House RJ , Hanges PJ , Javidan M , Dorfman PW , Gupta V (eds). 2004. Culture, Leadership, and Organisations: The GLOBE Study of 62 Societies. SAGE Publications: London, U.K.
- 2008. Comparing capitalisms: understanding institutional diversity and its implications for international business. Journal of International Business Studies 39(4): 540–561. , .
- 2005. The co-evolution of capabilities and transaction costs: explaining the institutional structure of production. Strategic Management Journal 26(5): 395–413. , .
- 2013. Global sourcing of services: risk, process, and collaborative architecture. Global Strategy Journal 3(1): 67–87. , .
- 1995. The transfer of Japanese management styles in two U.S. transplant industries: autos and electronics. Journal of Management Studies 32(6): 789–802. , .
- 2004. Robust standard error estimation in fixed-effects panel models. Hungarian Statistical Review 9: 95–116.
- 1999. Policy shocks, market intermediaries, and corporate strategy: evidence from Chile and India. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy 8(2): 271–310. , .
- 1988. The effect of national culture on the choice of entry mode. Journal of International Business Studies 19(3): 411–432. , .
- 1999. Organizational legitimacy under conditions of complexity: the case of the multinational enterprise. Academy of Management Review 24(1): 64–81. , .
- 2012. Outsourcing and its implications for market success: negative curvilinearity, firm resources, and competition. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 40(2): 329–346. , , , .
- 1952. Culture: A Critical Review of Concepts and Definitions. Peabody Museum: Cambridge, MA. , .
- 1995. Strategic restructuring and outsourcing: the effect of mergers and acquisitions and LBOs on building firm skills and capabilities. Journal of Management 21(5): 835–859. , .
- 2003. An empirical examination of transaction- and firm-level influences on the vertical boundaries of the firm. Strategic Management Journal 24(9): 839–859. , .
- 2002. Do make or buy decisions matter? The influence of organizational governance on technological performance. Strategic Management Journal 23(9): 817–833. , , .
- 2009. Why are companies offshoring innovation? The emerging global race for talent. Journal International of Business Studies 40(6): 901–925. , , .
- 1992. Determinants of information technology outsourcing: a cross-sectional analysis. Journal of Management Information Systems 9(1): 7–24. , .
- 2001. The process of vertical dis-integration: an evolutionary perspective on outsourcing. Journal of Management and Governance 5(3/4): 353–379.
- 2006. Estimating variance components in Stata. Stata Journal 6(1): 1–21.
- 2004. Learning to contract: evidence from the personal computer industry. Organization Science 15(4): 394–410. , .
- 2006. Capabilities, contractual hazards, and governance: integrating resource-based cost and transaction cost perspectives. Academy of Management Journal 49(5): 942–959. , .
- 2013. Strategic modularity and the architecture of multinational firm. Global Strategy Journal 3(1): 1–7. , ,
- 2002. Hofstede's model of national cultural differences and their consequences: a triumph of faith—a failure of analysis. Human Relations 55(1): 89–118.
- 2005. Does being R&D intensive still discourage outsourcing? Evidence from Dutch manufacturing. Research Policy 34(4): 571–582.
- 2007. Outsourcing: Design, Process, and Performance. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, U.K.
- 2011. Overcoming inertia: drivers of the outsourcing process. Long Range Planning 44(3): 160–178. , .
- 2005. The antecedents and performance consequences of international outsourcing. International Business Review 14(5): 599–617. , ,
- 2008. Location, control, and innovation in knowledge-intensive industries. Journal of Economic Geography 8(5): 699–725.
- 1995. Strategic and financial implications of global sourcing strategy: a contingency analysis. Journal of International Business Studies 26(1): 181–202. , , .
- 1998. Testing alternative theories of the firm: transaction cost, knowledge-based, and measurement explanations for make-or-buy decisions in information services. Strategic Management Journal 19(9): 853–877. , .
- 1997. On Competition. Harvard Business School Press: Boston, MA.
- 1999. Strategic outsourcing: leveraging knowledge capabilities. Sloan Management Review 40(3): 9–21.
- 2000a. The problem of search and deliberation in economic action: when networks really matter. Academy of Management Review 25(4): 813–828.
- 2000b. The problem of search and deliberation in international exchange: microfoundations to some macro patterns. Journal of International Business Studies 31(2): 205–222.
- 2009. The double-edged sword of cultural distance in international acquisitions. Journal of International Business Studies 40(8): 1298–1316. , .
- 2010. The impact of institutional hazards on foreign multinational activity: a contingency approach. Journal of International Business Studies 41(7): 980–995. , .
- 1965. Social structure and organizations. In Handbook of Organizations, March JG (ed). Rand McNally: Chicago, IL; 153–193. .
- 2002. The impact of market liberalization on vertical scope: the case of Argentina. Strategic Management Journal 23(6): 551–560.
- 1997. Social structure and competition in interfirm networks: the paradox of embeddedness. Administrative Science Quarterly 42(1): 35–67.
- 1972. Organizational Buying Behavior. Prentice Hall: Englewood Cliffs, NJ. , .
- 1999. Divergent Capitalisms: The Social Structuring and Change of Business Systems: The Social Structuring and Change of Business Systems. Oxford University Press: Oxford, U.K.
- 1985. The Economic Institutions of Capitalism. Free Press: New York.
- 1991. Comparative economic organization: the analysis of discrete structural alternatives. Administrative Science Quarterly 36(2): 269–296.