Author Disclosure Statement: Rights to HANDS® are owned by HealthTeam IQ, LLC, a company owned and managed by Gail Keenan. She has a conflict management plan with the University of Illinois to assure scientific integrity of research related to HANDS.
Data Mining Nursing Care Plans of End-of-Life Patients: A Study to Improve Healthcare Decision Making
Article first published online: 17 AUG 2012
© 2012, The Authors International Journal of Nursing Knowledge © 2012, NANDA International
International Journal of Nursing Knowledge
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 15–24, February 2013
How to Cite
Almasalha, F., Xu, D., Keenan, G. M., Khokhar, A., Yao, Y., Chen, Y.-C., Johnson, A., Ansari, R. and Wilkie, D. J. (2013), Data Mining Nursing Care Plans of End-of-Life Patients: A Study to Improve Healthcare Decision Making. Int Jnl Nurs Knowledge, 24: 15–24. doi: 10.1111/j.2047-3095.2012.01217.x
Authors who are also affiliated to University of Illinois at Chicago in Chicago, Illinois.
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 17 AUG 2012
- 1998). Record-keeping and routine nursing practice: The view from the wards. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 27(6), 1223–1230. (
- 2002). Data mining a diabetic data warehouse. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 26(1–2), 37–54. , , & (
- 2007). Nursing interventions classification (NIC). St. Louis, MO: Mosby. , , & (
- 2002). Data mining strategies for shaping nursing and health policy agendas. Policy, Politics & Nursing Practice, 3(3), 248–260. , , & (
- 2011). Effect of a quality-improvement intervention on end-of-life care in the intensive care unit: A randomized trial. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 183(3), 348–355. , , , , , , . . . (
- 2008). A nursing care plan recommender system using a data mining approach. In J. Li, D. Aleman, & R. Sikora (Eds.), Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 3rd INFORMS Workshop on Data Mining and Health Informatics. Washington, DC: Informs 2008. Retrieved from http://dollar.biz.uiowa.edu/~street/research/informs08_duan.pdf , , & (
- 2005). Automating the extraction of data from HTML tables with unknown structure. Data & Knowledge Engineering, 54(1), 3–28. , , & (
- 1996). Advances in knowledge discovery and data mining. Menlo Park, CA: AAAI Press. (
- 2003). Data mining issues and opportunities for building nursing knowledge. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 36(4–5), 379–388. , , , & (
- 2009). Exploring clinical associations using “-omics” based enrichment analyses. PLoS ONE, 4(4), e5203. Retrieved from http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0005203 , , & (
- 2000). “Scraps”: Hidden nursing information and its influence on the delivery of care. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 32(1), 208–214. , , & (
- 1997). Bayesian networks for data mining. Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 1(1), 79–119. (
- 2006). A framework for designing nursing knowledge management systems. Interdisciplinary Journal of Information, Knowledge, and Management, 1, 13–22. , & (
- 2005). Documentation of individualized patient care: A qualitative metasynthesis. Nursing Ethics, 12(2), 123–132. , , & (
- 2003). Establishing the validity, reliability, and sensitivity of NOC in adult care nurse practitioner clinics. Outcomes Management, 7(7), 74–83. , , , , , & (
- 2003). Assessing the reliability, validity, and sensitivity of nursing outcomes classification in home care settings. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 11(2), 135–155. , , , , , , . . . (
- 2008). Standardized nursing terminologies can transform practice. Journal of Nursing Administration, 38(3), 103–106. , , & (
- 2005). Promoting safe nursing care by bringing visibility to the disciplinary aspects of interdisciplinary care . AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings, American Medical Informatics Association, 385–389. , & (
- Challenges to nurses' efforts of retrieving, documenting and communicating patient care information. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. , , , , & (in review).
- Maintaining a consistent big picture: Meaningful use of a web-based POC EHR system. International Journal of Nursing Knowledge. , , , , , , . . . (in press).
- 2003). Data mining in healthcare information systems: Case study of a Veterans' Administration spinal cord injury population . Paper presented at the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Hawaii. , , & (
- 2003). Bayesian networks for knowledge discovery in large datasets: Basics for nurse researchers. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 36(4–5), 389–399. , & (
- Managed Care Outlook. (2010). The road to EHR implementation is paved with incentives and challenges. Managed Care Outlook, 23(1). Retrieved from http://www.guidonps.com/default/assets/File/ManagedCareOutlook_1-2010.pdf
- 2004). Iowa outcomes project. Nursing outcomes classification (NOC). St. Louis, MO: Mosby. , , & (
- 2006). Data mining and clinical data repositories: Insights from a 667,000 patient data set. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 36, 1351–1377. , , , , , , . . . (
- 2009). Where the dying live: A systematic review of determinants of place of end-of-life cancer care. Oncology Nursing Forum, 36(1), 69–77. , , , & (
- NANDA-I. (2003). Nursing diagnoses: Definitions and classifications 2003–2004. Philadelphia: Author.
- 2002). The use of data mining tools in identifying medication error near misses and adverse drug events. Topics in Health Information Management, 23(2), 94–103. , , , , , , . . . (
- 2003). A high-volume specialist palliative care unit and team may reduce in-hospital end-of-life care costs. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 6(5), 699–705. , , , , , & (
- 2002). Multicenter evaluation of an artificial neural network to increase the prostate cancer detection rate and reduce unnecessary biopsies. Clinical Chemistry, 48(8), 1279–1287. , , , , , , . . . (
- 2000). Decision-making and outcomes of prolonged ICU stays in seriously ill patients. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 48(Suppl. 5), S70–S74. , , , , , , . . . . (
- 1997). The illusion of end-of-life resource savings with advance directives. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 45(4), 513–518. , , , , , , . . . (
- EU-ADR Group. (2009). Data mining on electronic health record databases for signal detection in pharmacovigilance: Which events to monitor? Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 18(12), 1176–1184. , , , , , , . . .
- 2011). Interpretable predictive models for knowledge discovery from home-care electronic health records. Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2(1), 55–71. , , , , , , . . . (
- 2011). Predicting improvements in urinary and bowel incontinence for home health patients using electronic health record data. Journal of Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing, 38(1), 77–87. , , , , , & (
- 2006). End of life care: Medical treatments and costs by age, race, and region . IIR 02-189. Retrieved from http://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/research/abstracts.cfm?Project_ID=2141693100 (
- 2009). Health care costs in the last week of life: Associations with end-of-life conversations. Archives of Internal Medicine, 169(5), 480–488. , , , , , , . . . (