Branded food references in children's magazines: ‘advertisements’ are the tip of the iceberg
Version of Record online: 16 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Pediatric Obesity © 2012 International Association for the Study of Obesity
Volume 7, Issue 3, pages 220–229, June 2012
How to Cite
Jones, S. C., Gregory, P. and Kervin, L. (2012), Branded food references in children's magazines: ‘advertisements’ are the tip of the iceberg. Pediatric Obesity, 7: 220–229. doi: 10.1111/j.2047-6310.2011.00045.x
- Issue online: 4 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 4 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 18 AUG 2011
- Australian Research Council (ARC). Grant Number: DP0984651
- 1Like Taking Candy from a Baby: How Young Children Interact with Online Environments. WebWatch: New York, 2008..
- 4Review of Research on the Effects of Food Promotion to Children. Food Standards Agency: London, 2003., , , et al.
- 5Saturday morning children television food advertising … The nightmare of nutrition educators. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2004; 39: S471–S4S2..
- 9Small targets. Marketing 2004; 38: 38–40..
- 10Danish Consumer Ombudsman. Covert marketing activities: identifying commercial communication. 2005; [WWW document]. URL http://www.forbrug.dk/english/dco/dcoguides/guidelines-and-guidances/covertmarketing/ (accessed 15 July 2011).
- 11How marketers reach young consumers: implications for nutrition education and health promotion campaigns. Fam Econ Nutr Rev 1998; 11: 31–41., .
- 13Acharya DS , Mizerski R (eds). Expert Opinion on the Content and Intention of Material from a Magazine Targeted to 7 to 10 Year Old Beginning Readers. Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference: Perth, 2005.
- 15Australian Association of National Advertisers. AANA Food and Beverages Advertising and Marketing Communications Code. Australian Association of National Advertisers: Sydney, NSW, 2009.
- 16Australian Association of National Advertisers. Code for Advertising and Marketing Communications to Children. Australian Association of National Advertisers: Sydney, NSW, 2009.
- 17Australian Association of National Advertisers. Australian Quick Service Restaurant Industry Initiative for Responsible Advertising and Marketing to Children. Australian Association of National Advertisers: Sydney, NSW, 2009.
- 18The Content Analysis Guidebook. Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA, 2002..
- 19Interrater reliability and agreement. In: Tinsley HEA , Brown SD (eds). Handbook of Applied Multivariate Statistics and Mathematical Modeling. Academic Press: San Diego, CA, 2000, 95–124., .
- 21A content analysis of food advertisements in television for Australian children. Australian. J Nutr Diet 1997; 54: 174–181., .
- 23Television food advertising: counterproductive to children's health? A content analysis using the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating. Nutr Diet 2003; 60: 78–84., , .
- 25Report of the APA Taskforce on Advertising and Children: Psychological Issues in the Increasing Commercialization of Childhood. American Psychological Association: Washington, 2004., , , , , .
- 27Australian Food and Grocery Council. Food and Beverage Advertising to Children: Activity Report. Australian Food and Grocery Council: Barton, ACT, 2010.