5: Control of Contrast: Lao Hmong Refugees in American Contexts
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
1987 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: People in Upheaval
Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 88–107, March 1987
How to Cite
Schein, L. (1987), 5: Control of Contrast: Lao Hmong Refugees in American Contexts. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 5: 88–107. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1987.tb00496.x
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1966 Models of Social Organization. London: Royal Anthropological Institute.
- 1935 Culture Contact and Schismogenesis. Man 199:178–183.
- 1936 Naven. Cambridge: University Press.
- 1977 Immigrants and Refugees: Their Similarities, Differences and Needs. International Migration Review 14(4): 267–281.
- 1964 Aleut Reference Group Alienation, Mobility and Acculturation. American Anthropologist 66(2): 231–250.
- 1977 Social Barriers: Caste, Class and Race in Cross-Cultural Perspective. Papers in Anthropology 18(2): 217–242.
- 1982 American Perceptions of Hmong Ethnicity: A Study of Hmong Refugees in Missoula, Montana. Contributions to Southeast Asian Ethnography 1:56–71. and
- 1970 Presidential War in Laos, 1964–1970. In Laos: War and Revolution. Nina S. Adams and Alfred W. McCoy, eds. Pp. 213–280. New York: Harper & Row.
- 1976 Responses to Change: Recurrent Patterns. In Responses to Change: Society, Culture and Personality. George A. De Vos, ed. Pp. 342–359. New York: D. Van Nostrand. and
- 1982 Ethnicity: Vessel of Meaning and Emblem of Contrast. In Ethnic Identity: Cultural Continuities and Change. George De Vos and Lola Romanucci-Ross, eds. Pp. 363–390. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. and
- 1978 Ethnogenesis and Resource Competition among Tibetan Refugees in South India: A New Face to the Indo-Tibetan Interface. In Himalayan Anthropology. James F. Fisher, ed. Pp. 395–420. The Hague: Mouton.
- 1979 The Hmong, Opium and the Haw: Speculations on the Origin of the Association. Journal of the Siam Society 67(2): 70–79.
- 1974 Adaptive Strategies in Urban Migration. Annual Review of Anthropology 3:117–151. and
- 1983 Hmong Refugees Need Special Help-Adviser. Fresno Bee. 4th July. Pp. B1.
- 1981 Exile and Resettlement: Refugee Theory. International Migration Review 15(1–2):42–51.
- 1983 Refugee Resettlement: Models in Action. International Migration Review 17(1): 4–33.
- 1954 Political Systems of Highland Burma. Boston: Beacon.
- 1973 From Citizen to Refugee: Uganda Asians Come to Britain. London: Frances Pinter.
- 1980 The History of the Hmong (Meo). Bangkok: Odeon Store.
- Newsweek 1980 7th July. P. 34.
- 1958 A General Typology of Migration. American Sociological Review 23(3): 256–266.
- 1982 Vietnamese Refugee Resettlement. In Involuntary Migration and Resettlement: The Problems and Responses of Dislocated People. Art Hansen and Anthony Oliver-Smith, eds. Pp. 69–84. Boulder, Colo.: Westview. and
- 1970 Mister Pop. New York: McKay.
- 1982 The Hmong Refugee Community in San Diego: Theoretical and Practical Implications of its Continuing Ethnic Solidarity. Anthropological Quarterly 55(3): 146–160.
- 1982 From Welfare to Development: A Conceptual Framework for the Analysis of Dislocated People. In Involuntary Migration and Resettlement: The Problems and Responses of Dislocated People. Art Hansen and Anthony Oliver-Smith, eds. Pp. 267–287. Boulder, Colo.: Westview. and
- 1955 Conflict. Kurt H. Wolff, trans., Glencoe, Ill.: Free Press (originally, Soziologie, 1908).
- 1981 The Refugee Experience: Defining the Parameters of a Field of Study. International Migration Review 15(1–2):320–330.
- 1980 A New Look at America's Refugee Policy. Indochina Issues 10. Report from the Indochina Project of Center for International Policy.
- 1976 The Hmong of Laos in the Vanguard of Development. Translation of Les Hmong du Laos Face au Developpement. Vientiane, Laos: Sisavath Publishers. National Technical Information Service, Order No. JPRS L/5562.
- The Hmong of Laos: 1896–1978. Indochinese Refugee Education Guides, General Information Series #16, Washington, D.C.: National Indochinese Clearinghouse, Center for Applied Linguistics. n.d.