13: The Philippines and Southeast Asia: Historical Roots and Contemporary Linkages
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
1987 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Pacific Bridges: The New Immigration from Asia and the Pacific Islands
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 303–325, May 1987
How to Cite
Cariño, B. V. (1987), 13: The Philippines and Southeast Asia: Historical Roots and Contemporary Linkages. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 5: 303–325. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1987.tb00965.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1984 Reproducing Development Inequalities: Some Effects of Philippine Emigration to the United States.” Paper prepared for the Conference on Asia-Pacific Immigration to the United States, East-West Center, Honolulu. , and
- 1982 Philippine Martial Law: Voices from the Underground.” Special Paper No. 2. Washington, D.C.: Human Rights Internet.
- 1984 Birds of Passage No More: Migration Decision-Making and Filipinos in Hawaii.” Paper presented at the Twelfth Annual Workshop on Psychosocial Factors in Population Research, Minneapolis.
- 1985 The Social Situation of Asian Migrant Workers and Their Families.” Paper prepared for the Centre for Social Development and Humanitarian Affairs, Department of International Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations, Vienna.
- 1971 Oriental Immigration: The Experience of the Chinese, Japanese and Filipino Population in the U.S. International Migration Review, 5(1):48–60.
- 1974 The Changing Nature of Central and Southeast Asian Immigration to the United States, 1961–1972. International Migration Review, 8(4):507–519.
- 1985 Personal Networks and the Material Adaptation of Recent Immigrants: A Study of Filipinos in Hawaii.” Ph.D. dissertation, University of Hawaii.
- 1979 Migration and Development: The Bicol Region.” In R. Pryor (ed.), Migration and Development in Southeast Asia. Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press.
- 1981 Socio-Economic Consequences of Migration in the Philippines.” Paper prepared for the Conference on Migration and Adaptation for Environments Among Pacific Populations, East-West Center, Honolulu.
- 1976 Rural Outmigration in the Philippines: An Analysis of Communities, Households, and Individuals.” Research report prepared for the Population Center Foundation, Manila. , and
- 1985 Living in the Dark Times: How Ordinary Filipinos Cope with the Crises in the Philippines.” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Association of Asian Studies, Philadelphia, 22–24 March.
- 1973 Immigrant Workers and Class Structure in West Europe. London: Oxford University Press. , and
- Center for Research and Communication (CRC) 1985 CRC Executive Factbook 1985. Manila: CRC Publications and Relations Office.
- 1985 Population Growth and Urbanization: What Does the Future Hold?” Paper prepared for the Conference on Population Growth, Urbanization, and Urban Policies in the Asia-Pacific Region, East-West Center, Honolulu. , and
- Concepción, M. 1970 The Philippines: Country Profile. New York: Population Council.
- 1979 Thai Migration to Los Angeles. Geographical Review, 69:302–318.
- East-West Population Institute (EWPI) and Operation Manong 1985 Filipino Immigrants in Hawaii: A Profile of Recent Arrivals. Honolulu: East-West Population Institute, East-West Center, and Operation Manong, University of Hawaii.
- 1983 The Migration of Women in the Philippines.” In J. T. Fawcett et al. (eds.), Migration of Women in the Cities of Asia: Migration and Urban Adaptation. Boulder: Westview Press. , and
- 1985 Asia-Pacific Immigration to the United States: A Conference Report. Honolulu: East-West Population Institute, East-West Center. , , and
- 1979 Emigration and Entrepreneurship in a Philippine Peasant Village. Papers in Anthropology, 20(1):127–144.
- Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) 1982-1984 Statistical Yearbook. Washington, D.C.: Department of Justice.
- 1982 Estimating the Emigration Rates of Legal Immigrants Using Administrative and Survey Data: The 1971 Cohort of Immigrants to the U.S. Demography, 19(3):279–290. , and
- 1964 Governments and Politics of Southeast Asia. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- 1973 Philippine Migration: Internal Movements and Emigration to the U.S. International Migration Review, 7(2):177–187.
- 1966 The Immigration Act of 1965. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 367:137–149.
- 1981 Asian-Americans: The Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Filipinos, and Southeast Asians. Annuals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 454:125–138.
- 1984 Emigration Policies and Domestic Development Goals of the Government of the Philippines Affecting Emigration to the United States.” Paper presented at the Conference on Asia-Pacific Immigration to the U.S., East-West Center, Honolulu.
- 1979 The Effects of Overseas Work on Return Migrants and Their Home Communities: A Philippine Case. Papers in Anthropology, 20(1):85–104. .
- 1978 The ‘New Society’ Five Years Later: The State of the Opposition.” In Southeast Asian Affairs, 1978. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
- National Census and Statistics Office (NCSO) 1980 Census of the Population. Manila: NCSO.
- National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) 1984 Philippine Statistical Yearbook, 1984. Manila: NEDA.
- National Science Foundation 1980 Scientists and Engineers from Abroad, 1976–78. Surveys of Science and Resources Series. Washington, DC: National Science Foundation.
- 1976 The Question of the Brain Drain from the Philippines. International Migration Review, 10(1):63–72.
- Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) 1983a Annual Report for 1982. Manila: Ministry of Labor and Employment. 1983b Report of Operations in 1983. Manila: Ministry of Labor and Employment.
- 1977 Recent Arrivals from the Philippines in the United States.” Ph.D. dissertation, University of Pennsylvania.
- 1981 Population Pressure and Social Response on the Ilocos Coast in the Philippines. Working Paper No. 2. Honolulu: East-West Population Institute, East-West Center.
- Social Security Administration 1984 Social Security Bulletin. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office.
- 1982 Asian Immigration. Eastwind Journal, 1(2):25–40. Fall/Winter. , , , , , and
- 1979 The Consequences of Emigration for Economic Development: A Review of the Literature. Papers in Anthropology, 20(1):57–74.
- Philippine Market for Educated Labor.” Report to the National Science Development Board. Manila: NSDB. n.d. “
- UNESCO 1969 UNESCO Statistical Yearbook 1968. Paris: UNESCO.
- UNESCO. 1985 UNESCO Statistical Yearbook 1985. Paris: UNESCO.
- U.P. School of Economics 1984 The Philippine Economic Crisis. Report prepared by faculty members of U.P. School of Economics. Diliman, Quezon City.
- U.S. Congress, House Committee on Foreign Affairs 1974 The Brain Drain: A Study of the Persistent Issue of International Scientific Mobility. Subcommittee on National Security and Scientific Development. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office.
- 1964 The Philippines.” In G. Kahin (ed.), Governments and Politics of Southeast Asia. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.