15: South Asian Immigrants: Trends and Impacts on the Sending and Receiving Societies
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
1987 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Pacific Bridges: The New Immigration from Asia and the Pacific Islands
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 347–373, May 1987
How to Cite
Minocha, U. (1987), 15: South Asian Immigrants: Trends and Impacts on the Sending and Receiving Societies. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 5: 347–373. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1987.tb00967.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Agency for International Development (AID) 1979 Business Brief: Migrating to Work. Washington, D.C.
- 1968 Brain Drain: The Irony of Foreign Aid Policy. Economic Internationale, Genoa.
- 1976 The Brain Drain.” Paper prepared for the ILO's Tripartite World Conference on Employment, Income Distribution, Social Progress, and the International Division of Labour, and presented at the International Institute for Labour Studies' World Symposium on the Social Implications of a New International Economic Order, 19–23 January, Geneva.
- 1978 Problems and Perspectives of Career Advancement: A Cross-Section of Asian Indians.” Paper presented at the Stanford Workshop, 20–25 August, Stanford University.
- Chandrasekhar, S. (ed.) 1982 From India to America: A Brief History of Immigration; Problems of Discrimination; Admission and Assimilation. La Jolla, California: Population Review Publications.
- 1984 Going Overseas for Higher Education: The Asian Experience. Comparative Education Review, 28(2):241–257.
- 1977 Brain Drain Controversy and Utilization of Returning Indian Scholars Trained Abroad. Population Review, 21(1 & 2):28–36.
- 1984 Review of Data Sources Concerning Emigration from India to the United States.” Paper presented at the Conference on Asia-Pacific Immigration to the United States, East-West Center, Honolulu.
- 1975 Characteristics and Attitudes of Immigrant Indian Scientists and Engineers in the U.S.A. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 34(2)74–79.
- Elkhanialy, H., and R. W. Nicholas (eds.) 1977 Racial and Ethnic Self-Identification and Desire for Legal Minority Status Among Indian Immigrants in the United States. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1980 The Indians of New York City. New Delhi: Heritage Publishers.
- 1980 Pakistani Ethnic Group in the U.S.” In S. Thernstrom (ed.), Harvard Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Groups. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- 1984 Pakistani Immigrants in America: A Socio-Demographic Study.” Department of Sociology, Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, Virginia. Mimeographed.
- 1979 Some Economic Aspects of India's Brain Drain into the U.S.A. International Migration, 17(3 & 4):280–289.
- 1978 The Brain Drain: Emigration and Return. New York: Pergamon Press.
- 1983 Emigration from India: The Effects on a Village in Punjab. New Community, 10(3):435–443.
- 1984 Emigration and Return: Ramifications for India. Population Review, 28(1 & 2):45–57.
- 1974 The Forgotten Asian Americans: The East Indian Community in the United States. Pacific Historical Review, 43:577–596.
- 1982 South Asians in Southern California: A Sociological Study of Immigrants from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. South Asia Bulletin, 2(1):74–83.
- Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) 1955-1977 Annual Report: Immigration and Naturalization Service. Annual. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office.
- Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) 1978-1983 Statistical Yearbook of the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Annual. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office.
- 1982 The Political Economy of International Migration: Indian Physicians to the United States. South Asia Bulletin, 2(1):39–57.
- 1980 The Indian Immigrant in America: A Demographic Profile.” In P. Saran and E. Eames (eds.), The New Ethnics: Asian Indians in the United States. New York: Praeger. , and
- 1978 Emigrants and Emigrants' Household: A Case Study of Two Villages in Kerala. Economic and Political Weekly, 13. , and
- 1977 Asians in America. Boston: Twayne Publishers.
- 1984 Some Observations of the Assimilation of Asian Indians in the United States. Population Review, 28(1 & 2):58–79.
- 1984 Indian Immigration to the United States—Socio-Economic Consequences and Impact on India's Economic Development.” Paper presented at the Conference on Asia-Pacific Immigration to the United States, East-West Center, Honolulu.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) 1980 Scientists and Engineers from Abroad, 1976–1978. Surveys of Science Resources Series, NSF 80–324. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office.
- 1979 International Migration: The Search for Work. Worldwatch Paper 33. Washington, D.C.: Worldwatch Institute.
- 1980 Some Observations on Asian Indians in an American Educational Setting.” In P. Saran and E. Eames (eds.), The New Ethnics: Asian Indians in the United States. New York: Praeger.
- 1980 Migration Remittance and Rural Development: Findings of a Case Study in the Indian Punjab. International Labor Review, 119(2). March/April. , and
- 1972 A Passage from India. Society, 9(6):25–29.
- 1977 Cosmopolitans from India. Society, 14(6):65–69.
- Saran, P., and E. Eames (eds.) 1980 The New Ethnics: Asian Indians in the United States. New York: Praeger.
- 1980 An Economic Profile of Asian Indians.” In P. Saran and E. Eames (eds.), The New Ethnics: Asian Indians in the United States. New York: Praeger. , and
- 1977 The Banyan Tree: Overseas Emigrants from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. London: Oxford University Press.
- 1981 Impact of Foreign Remittances on the Economy of Baladia (District of Bhug-kutch): A Case Study.” Unpublished report, Sheth Demodardas School of Commerce, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad. , and
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) 1974 The Reverse Transfer of Technology: Economic Effects of the Outflow of Trained Personnel from Developing Countries (Brain Drain). TD/B/AC. Geneva: Intergovernmental Group on Transfer of Technology, Trade and Development Board.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census 1981 Race of the Population by States: 1980. 1980 Census of Population, Supplementary Reports (PC80-S1–3). Washington, D. C.: Government Printing Office.