16: Paradise Left? Pacific Island Voyagers in the Modern World
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
1987 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Pacific Bridges: The New Immigration from Asia and the Pacific Islands
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 375–404, May 1987
How to Cite
Connell, J. (1987), 16: Paradise Left? Pacific Island Voyagers in the Modern World. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 5: 375–404. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1987.tb00968.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1984 Report of the Committee to Review the Australian Overseas Aid Program. Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service.
- 1980 Demographic Processes in Small Islands: The Case of Internal Migration.” In H. C. Brookfield (ed.), Population-Environment Relations in Tropical Islands: The Case of Eastern Fiji. Paris: UNESCO.
- 1974 The Homeless Mind: Modernization and Consciousness. New York: Random House. , , and
- 1982 Growth Experience of Small Economies.” In B. Jalan (ed.), Problems and Policies in Small Economies. London: Croom Helm. , and
- 1972 Intensification and Disintensification in Pacific Agriculture. Pacific Viewpoint, 13(1):30–48.
- 1980 The Fiji Study: Testing the MAB Approach.” In H. C. Brookfield (ed.), Population-Environment Relations in Tropical Islands: The Case of Eastern Fiji. Paris: UNESCO.
- 1984 Intensification Revisited. Pacific Viewpoint, 25(1):15–44.
- 1980 The Economic Context.” In R. G. Ward and A. Proctor (eds.), South Pacific Agriculture—Choices and Constraints. Canberra and Manila: Australian National University Press and Asian Development Bank.
- 1975 Nanumea Report. Wellington: Department of Geography, Victoria University of Wellington.
- Chapman, M., and R. M. Prothero (eds.) 1985 Circulation in Population Movement: Substance and Concepts from the Melanesian Case. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- 1980 Remittances and Rural Development: Migration, Dependency and Inequality in the South Pacific. Occasional Paper No. 22. Canberra: Development Studies Centre, Australian National University.
- 1984a Diets and Dependency: Food and Colonialism in the South Pacific. 2nd ed. Occasional Paper No. 1. Sydney: Freedom from Hunger Ideas Centre.
- 1984b Status or Subjugation? Women, Migration and Development in the South Pacific. International Migration Review, 18(4):965–983.
- 1985a Islands on the Poverty Line. Pacific Viewpoint, 26(2):463–473.
- 1985b Migration, Employment and Development. Country Report No. 25. North America. Noumea: International Labour Organisation and South Pacific Commission.
- 1986 Migration, Employment and Development in the South Pacific. Noumea: International Labour Organisation and South Pacific Commission.
- 1987 The Fatal Impact? Migration, Agriculture and Health in the South Pacific.” In The Effects of Urbanisation and Western Foods on the Health of Pacific Islands Populations. Noumea: South Pacific Commission.
- 1984 Cook Islands Development Plan, 1982–1985. Rarotonga.
- 1978 Rural Development. Pacific Perspective, 7(1-2):42–59.
- 1979 Nepotism.” In R. Crocombe (ed.), Cook Island Politics: The Inside Story. Auckland: South Pacific Social Science Association.
- 1979 Migration, Remittances and Social Networks Among Cook Islanders. Pacific Viewpoint, 20(2):185–198.
- 1982 The South Seas Dream: An Adventure in Paradise. London: Heinemann.
- 1976 The Samoans of Los Angeles: A Preliminary Study of Their Migration from Pago Pago to the South Bay.” Los Angeles: University of Southern California. Mimeographed.
- 1982 Second Thoughts on First Aid. Islands Business, 8(10):32–36.
- 1971 Economic Aspects of Modernization in Tikopia.” In L. R. Hiatt and C. Jayawardena (eds.), Anthropology in Oceania. Sydney: Angus and Robertson.
- 1966 The Economic Structure.” In E. K. Fisk (ed.), New Guinea on the Threshold. Canberra: Australian National University Press.
- 1982 Political Economy and International Labour Migration: The Case of Polynesians in New Zealand. New Zealand Geographer, 39(2):29–42.
- 1981 The Cultural Ecology of Economic Development. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 71(2):220–236.
- 1985 In the Aftermath of the Education Explosion.” Truk: Micronesian Seminar. Mimeographed.
- 1961 Rotuma as a Hinterland Community. Journal of the Polynesian Society, 70:272–299.
- 1981 Words of the Lagoon: Fishing and Marine Lore in the Palau District of Micronesia. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- 1985 Pacific Islanders in the United States: A Demographic Profile Based on the 1980 Census.” Paper presented at the Conference on Asian-Pacific Immigration to the United States, East-West Center, Honolulu.
- 1980 Emigration from American Samoa: A Study of Bicultural Assimilation and Migration.” Ph.D. dissertation, University of Hawaii.
- 1982a Self-Determination and Self-Government. Journal of Pacific History, 17(1):51–61.
- 1982b Cinderellas of the Empire: Towards a History of Kiribati and Tuvalu. Canberra: Australian National Press.
- 1983 The Skills Transfer Debate: Great Promise or Faint Hope for Western Samoa? New Zealand Population Review, 9(2):47–76.
- 1965 Remittances and the Unit of Analysis in Anthropological Research. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology, 21(3):179–195.
- 1979 Education and Depopulation on a Micronesian Atoll. Micronesica, 15(1–2):1–11.
- 1980 The Best Kept Secret: Tourism in Western Samoa” In F. Rajotte and R. Crocombe (eds.), Pacific Tourism: As Islanders See It. Suva: Institute of Pacific Studies. , and
- 1979 Rural-Urban Relationships in Papua New Guinea: Case Material from the Gulf Province on Net Flows.” IASER Discussion Paper No. 25. Port Moresby. , and
- 1982 From Temporary to Permanent Townsmen: Migrants from the Malalaua District, Papua New Guinea. Oceania, 53(1):39–55. , and
- 1979 External Politics, Internal Economics and Ponapean Social Formation. American Ethnologist, 6(1):25–40.
- 1970 Tradition and Economic Progress in Samoa. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1974 Emerging Pluralism: The Samoan Community in New Zealand. Auckland: Longman Paul. , and
- 1977 The Development Dilemma.” In C. Plant (ed.), Rotuma: Split Island. Suva: Institute of Pacific Studies.
- 1978 The Problem of an Aid-Dependent Economy: The Case of Niue.” In G. Woods (ed.), South Pacific Dossier. Canberra: Australian Council for Overseas Aid.
- 1983 Coconomics: Expert Agriculture Won't Pay the Bills. Pacific Magazine, 8(4):21–24.
- 1980 Migration and Change in Wallisian Society.” In R. T. Shand (ed.), The Island States of the Pacific and Indian Oceans. Canberra: Development Studies Centre, Australian National University.
- 1984 Micronesians on the Move: Guam or Hawaii?” Compact of Free Association Memo No. 12. Truk: Micronesian Seminar.
- 1983 The Political Economy of Nationalism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1976 Migration and Underdevelopment: The Case of Western Samoa. Boulder: Westview Press.
- 1978 Introduction.” In C. Macpherson, B. Shore, and R. Franco (eds.), New Neighbours … Islanders in Adaptation. Santa Cruz: Center for South Pacific Studies.
- 1977 Social Change and Internal Migration. Ottawa: International Development Research Centre. , , and
- 1982 Circulation and Proletarianisation. Working Paper No. 119. Geneva: International Labour Office and World Employment Programme.
- 1976 Economic Development in the South Pacific: Some Problems and Prospects.” In F. P. King (ed.), Oceania and Beyond: Essays on the Pacific Since 1945. Westport: Greenview Press.
- 1984 Subsistence Economies and Unsustainable Development and Trade: Some Simple Theory. Journal of Development Studies, 20(2):227–241. , and
- 1981 A Pacific Island Migration Study: Palauans in Hawaii. Honolulu: Pacific Islands Development Program, East-West Center.
- 1977 The Bind of Migration: Conditions of Non-Development in Lesotho.” In S. Wallman (ed.), Perceptions of Development. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1961 Internal Migration in Fiji. Journal of Polynesian Society, 70(3):257–271.
- 1981 Island Voyagers in New Quests: An Assessment of Degree Completion Among Micronesian College Students. Mangilao City: University of Guam, Micronesian Area Research Center. , , , , , and
- 1982 Agricultural Performance, Food Availability and Dietary Change in Asia and the Pacific.” Paper submitted to Agri-Energy Roundtable, Maui.