18: Documenting Immigration: A Comparison of Research on Asian and Hispanic Immigrants
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
1987 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Pacific Bridges: The New Immigration from Asia and the Pacific Islands
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 427–451, May 1987
How to Cite
Sullivan, T. A. (1987), 18: Documenting Immigration: A Comparison of Research on Asian and Hispanic Immigrants. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 5: 427–451. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1987.tb00970.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1968 Juvenile Delinquency in San Francisco's Chinese-American Community: 1961–1966. National Taiwan University Journal of Sociology, 4:45–56.April. , and
- 1978 Differential Fertility and the Minority Group Status Hypothesis: An Assessment and Review.” In F. D. Bean and W. Parker Frisbie (eds.), The Demography of Racial and Ethnic Groups. New York: Academic Press. , and
- 1985 Immigration Policy and Its Consequences: Confronting the Problem. Society, 22(4):67–73. , and
- 1971 Some Observations on Chinese Intermarriage in the United States. International Journal of Sociology of the Family, Special Issue (May):59–68.
- 1973 Mental Illness Among the Chinese: Myth or Reality? Journal of Social Issues, 29(2):149–166. , and
- 1984 Manchild Versus Womanchild in the Promised Land: Sex Differences in Household Variables Among Four Indochinese Refugee Groups.” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, San Antonio, 27–31 August. , and
- 1973 A Theory of Middleman Minorities. American Sociological Review, 38(5):583–594.
- 1977 Koreans in Business. Society, 14(6):54–59. , , and
- Borjas, G., and M. Tienda (eds.) 1985 Hispanics in the U.S. Economy. New York: Academic Press.
- 1975 The Chinese Student—Acculturation and Mental Illness. Psychiatry, 38(3):269–277.
- 1971 The Chinese in New York, California, and Hawaii: A Study of Socioeconomic Differentials. Phylon, 32(2):198–206.
- 1983 The Dilemma of American Immigration: Beyond the Golden Door. New Brunswick, N.J.: Transaction Books. , , , and
- 1973 A Study of Attitudes of Chinese Students in the United States. Sociology and Social Research, 58(1):66–77.
- 1978 The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-Born Men. Journal of Political Economy, 86:897–921.October.
- 1972 Drinking Patterns and Attitudes of Rooming-House Chinese in San Francisco. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 6:58–68.May.
- 1974 Value Continuities and Change in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Ethos, 2(3):232–264.
- 1975a Changing Trends in Japanese American Academic Achievement. Journal of Ethnic Attitudes, 2(4):95–98.
- 1975b Value Changes in Third-Generation Japanese Americans. Journal of Personality Assessment, 39(6):597–600.
- 1976a Family Bonds, Maternal Closeness, and the Suppression of Sexuality in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Ethos, 4(2): 189–221.
- 1976b Joge Kankei: A Key Concept for an Understanding of Japanese-American Achievement. Psychiatry, 39(3):266–279.
- 1985 Asia-Pacific Immigration to the United States: A Conference Report. Honolulu: East-West Population Instiute, East-West Center. , , and
- 1978 Opportunity and Change. New York: Academic Press. , and
- 1976 Childhood and Community: On the Experience of Young Japanese Americans in Chicago. Ethos, 4(3):353–383.
- 1981 Ethnic Identification and Disidentification: Japanese-American Views of Chinese-Americans. Ethnic Groups, 3(2):157–171.
- 1975 Intraethnic Diversity: Health Care of the Chinese-Americans. Human Organization, 24(3):253–262. , , , and
- 1976 Characteristics of Contrasting Chinatowns, Part 2: Oakland, California. Social Casework, 57(3):155–159.
- 1980 Minority-Group Status and Fertility: A Study of Japanese and Chinese in Hawaii and California. American Journal of Sociology, 86(3):496–511. , and
- 1976 Characteristics of Contrasting Chinatowns, Part 1: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Social Casework, 57(3):149–154.
- 1972 A Foreign Student Group as an Ethnic Community. International Review of Modern Sociology, 2(1)72–82.
- 1973 Interracial Marriage: A Picture of the Japanese Americans. Journal of Social Issues, 29(2):67–81. , and
- 1974 Some Aspects of Social Demography of Korean Americans. International Migration Review, 8(1):23–42.
- 1980 Social and Occupational Assimilation of Korean Immigrant Workers in the United States. California Sociologist, 3(2):125–142. , and
- 1984 The Wives of Korean Small Businessmen in the U.S.: Business Involvement and Family Roles.” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, San Antonio, 27–31 August. , and
- 1970 “The Chinese on Long Island—A Pilot Study. Phylon, 31(3):280–289.
- 1976 Theories of Migration and Mental Health: An Empirical Testing on Chinese-Americans. Social Science and Medicine, 10(6):297–306.
- 1978 Immigrant/Minority Status and Alienation. Sociological Focus, 11(4):271–289.
- 1978 A Cross-National Analysis of the Japanese Character Among Japanese-Americans in Honolulu. Ethnicity, 5(1):42–59. , , and
- 1978 “The Biocultural Pattern of Japanese-American Fertility. Social Biology, 25(1):38–51.
- 1982 Exogamy and Change in the Biosocial Structure of a Modern Urban Population. American Anthropologist, 84(1):19–31. , and
- Levine, D. B., K. Hill, and R. Warren (eds.) 1985 Immigration Statistics: A Story of Neglect. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- 1973 Socioeconomic Mobility Among Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Journal of Social Issues, 29(2):33–48. , and
- 1977 Fictive Kinship, Conjugal Tie and Kinship Chain Among Chinese immigrants in the United States. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 8(1):47–63.
- 1980 A Piece of the Pie: Black and White Immigrants Since 1880. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1972 Ethnic Enterprise in America. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1975 Protest or Work: Dilemmas of the Tourist Industry in American Chinatowns. American Journal of Sociology, 80(6): 1342–1368. , and
- 1978 Cultural Effects on Organizational Structure: The Case of Japanese Firms in the United States. American Sociological Review, 43(6):829–847. , , and
- 1971 The Mississippi Chinese: Between Black and White. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- 1984 “Change and Continuity in Mexican American Religious Behavior: A Three Generation Study. Social Science Quarterly, 65(2):618–625. , and
- 1977 Differentials in the Ability to Convert Education into Income: The Case of the European Ethnics. International Migration Review, 2(2):215–231. , and .
- 1975 Black-White Income Differentials: Empirical Studies and Policy Implications. New York: Academic Press.
- 19721973 Stereotypes and Racial Images—White, Black and Yellow. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 18(4):239–253.
- 1984 Immigration and Perceptions of Economic Deprivation Among Working-Class Mexican American Men. Social Science Quarterly, 65(2):455–464. , and
- 1984 Korean Immigrants' Success in Small Business: Some Cultural Explanations.” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, San Antonio, 27–31 August. , and
- 1980 The Elderly Japanese American: Aging Among the First Generation Immigrants. Genetic Psychology Monographs, 101(1):99–118.
- 1981 The Japanese Americans: Changing Patterns of Assimilation Over Three Generations. American Sociological Review, 46(6):829–839.
- 1977 Assimilation and Educational Achievement: The Case of the Second Generation Japanese-American. Sociological Quarterly, 18(4):490–503. , and
- 1976 Intergenerational Relations as an Aspect Case of Assimilation: The Case of Japanese-Americans. Sociological Inquiry, 46(1):67–72.
- 1980 Immigrant Earnings: Cuban and Mexican Immigrants in the U.S. International Migration Review, 14(3):315–337. , and
- 1985 Latin Journey: Cuban and Mexican Immigrants in the United States. Berkeley: University of California Press. , and
- 1973 “On the Cost of Being a Mexican-American Worker. Social Science Quarterly, 65(1):697–709. , and
- 1983 Labor Market Discrimination Against Hispanic and Black Men. Review of Economics and Statistics, 65:579–580.November.
- 1984 The Wage Structure of Hispanic Men: Implications for Policy. Social Science Quarterly, 65(2):401–416.
- 1980 Contending Hypotheses of Minority Fertility: Three Generations of Japanese Americans. California Sociologist, 3(2): 166–183. , and
- 1977 Postwar Fertility Trends and Differentials in the United States. New York: Academic Press. , and
- 1984 Migration, Adaptation, and Age: A Comparative Study of Hmong, Khmer, Chinese-Vietnamese, and Vietnamese Refugee Families.” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Society for the Study of Social Problems, San Antonio, 25 August.
- 1965 On the Cost of Being a Negro. Sociological Inquiry, 35:41–57.
- 1981 Ethnic Identity and Close Friendship in Chinese-American College Students. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 5(4):383–406.
- 1973 A Typological Approach to the Psychological Study of Chinese and Japanese American College Males. Journal of Social Issues, 29(2): 129–148. , and
- 1978 Racial-Ethnic Differences in Labor Force Participation: An Ethnic Stratification Perspective.” In F. D. Bean and W. P. Frisbie (eds.), The Demography of Racial and Ethnic Groups. New York: Academic Press.
- 1979 Differential Success Among Cuban-American and Mexican-American Immigrants: The Role of Policy and Community. Washington, D.C.: National Technical Information Service. , and
- 1980 Asian-Americans in the Federal Civil Service. California Sociologist, 3(1): 1–16. , and
- U.S. Civil Rights Commision 1978 Social Indicators of Equality for Minorities and Women. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Civil Rights Commission.
- U.S. Civil Rights Commision. 1982 Indicators of Unemployment and Underemployment for Minorities and Women. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Civil Rights Commission.
- 1984 Earnings Differentials Between Mexican American, Black and White Male Workers. Social Science Quarterly, 65(2):417–425. , and
- 1982 The Cost of Being Chinese, Japanese, and Filipino in the United States: 1960, 1970, 1976. Pacific Sociological Review, 25(1):59–78.
- 1980 “Japanese American Economic Behavior: Its Types, Determinants, and Consequences. Social Forces, 58(4):1235–1254. , , and
- 1972 Independence Training from a Cross-Cultural Perspective. American Anthropologist, 74(3):629–638.
- 1983 Family Labor, Sacrifice, and Competition: Korean Greengrocers in New York City. Amerasia, 10(2):53–71.
- 1980 Significant Demographic Characteristics of Chinese Who Intermarry in the United States. California Sociologist, 3(2):184–196.