Chapter 4: PLACES, COMMUNITIES AND REGIONS IN THE AMERICAN ITALIAN STUDIES — TERRITORIAL COVERAGE
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
1988 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: The Melting Pot and Beyond Italian Americans in the Year 2000
Volume 6, Issue 4, pages 37–60, July 1988
How to Cite
Velikonja, J. (1988), Chapter 4: PLACES, COMMUNITIES AND REGIONS IN THE AMERICAN ITALIAN STUDIES — TERRITORIAL COVERAGE. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 6: 37–60. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1988.tb00568.x
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
- The Twilight of Ethnicity Among Americans of European Ancestry: The Case of Italians. Ethnic and Racial Studies 8 (1985): 134–158 GENERAL.
- the Twilight of Ethnicity Among Americans of European Ancestry: The Case of Italians.” in Richard D. Alba (ed.). Ethnicity and Race in the U.S.A. Toward the Twenty-Firsty Century. London, Boston, Melbourne and Henley: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1985: 134–158. GENERAL.
- Patrones de Residencia de los Italianos en Buenos Aires y Nueva York: 1880–1914. Estudios Migratorios Latinoamericanos 1 (1985): 8–47. NY.
- Montague: An Italian Folk Island in Central North Texas. Panhandle — Plains Historical Review 56 (1983): 33–48. TX. (1983) “
- Luttes de Classe et Luttes Ethniques dans le Lower East Side a Manhattan. Revue Francaise de Science Politique 32 (1982): 973–999. NY.
- Becoming White: Notes on an Italian — American Explanation of Evil Eye. New York Folklore 10 (1984): 39–55. NY.
- Going to America, Going to School; the Immigrant — Public School Encounter in Turn-of-the-Century New York City. American Jewish Archives 36 (1984): 86–135. NY.
- Il Fascismo e L'Emigrazione Lucana negli USA. Studi Storici 23 (1982): 881–896. GENERAL.
- Conflict, Cooperation, Acceptance: The Italian Experience in Delaware. Delaware History 20 (1983) 269–290. DE.
- Donne Italiane A New York e Lavoro a Domicilio.
- Reno's Little Italy: Italian Entrepreneurship and Culture in Northern Nevada. Nevada Historical Society Quarterly 26 (1983): 97–110. NV.
- Italian Images in Northern Nevada Writing. Nevada Historical Society Quarterly 27 (1984): 260–267. NV.
- North Beach. The Italian Heart of San Francisco. Novato, CA: Presidio Press, 1985. CA.
- Immigrazione Italiana e Fabbrica USA: il Caso Scovill (1915–1920). Studi Storici 26 (1985): 5–27. CT.
- Femminella, Francis X. (ed). Italians and Irish in America. Staten Island, N.Y.: AIHA, 1985. GENERAL.
- La Merica. Images of Italian Greenhorn Experience. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1985. GENERAL.
- Sheep Amidst the Wolves: Father Bandini and the Colony of Tontitown, 1898–1917. Arkansas Historical Quarterly 14 (1986): 19–40. AR.
- Uno Squardo al Passato: A Backward Look at an Italian Household During Depression Days. Pacific Historian 27.4 (1983): 38–47. CA.
- Louisiana's Italian immigrants Prior to 1870. Louisiana History. The Journal of the Louisiana Historical Association 27 (Winter 1986): 43–68. LA.
- A Comparative Perspective on the Ethnic Enclave: Blacks, Italians, and Jews in New York City. International Migration Review 19 (1985): 64–81. NY.
- Immigrants on the Hill. Italian — Americans in St. Louis, 1882–1982. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1986. MO.
- The Immigrant World of Ybor City. Italians and Their Lation Neighbors in Tampa, 1885–1985. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1986. FL. and
- Rise to Legitimacy: Frank Bonacci as Union Organizer in Carbon County, Utah. Rendezvous 19 (1983): 67–74. UT.
- The Modonna of 115th Street: Faith and Community in Italian Harlem, 1880–1950. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1985. NY.
- The Italian American Family.” in Charles H. Mindel and Robert W. Habenstein. Ethnic Families in America. Patterns and Variations. Second Edition. New York — Oxford: Elsevier, 1981: 61–85. GENERAL.
- Social Factors Affecting Cultural, National and Religios Ethnicity: A Study of Suburban Italian-Americans. Ethnic Groups 6 (1984): 27–45. RI.
- Labor for Louisiana's Sugar Cane Fields: An Experiment in Immigrant Recruitment. Italian Americana 7.1 (1981): 19–41. LA.
- Bloomfield: An Italian Working Class Neighborhood. Italian Americana 7.1 (1981): 103–116. PA. , and
- Family Connections: A History of Italian and Jewish Immigrant Lives in Providence, Rhode Island, 1900–1940. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1985. RI.
- The Italians of New Jersey: A Historical Introduction and Bibliography. Newark: New Jersey Historical Society, 1985. NY.
- Ethnic Population Change and Patterns of Spatial Readjustment among Local Businesses: The Italian Area of Syracuse, New York, 1960–1970. Syracuse University, Department of Geography Discussion Papers 46 (1978). NY.
- Ethnic Success: Boston's Italians. Immigrants and Minorities. 2 (1983): 64–77. MA.
- Food as an Ethnic Marker. Pioneer America Society Transaction 7 (1984): 81–88. GENERAL.
- Prima le Donne e i Bambini: Gli International Institutes e l'Americanizzazione degli Immigrati. Quaderni Storici 17 (1982): 853–880. NY.
- Ethnicity and Stability: The Italians and Jews of South Portland, 1900–1940. Pacific Historical Review 54 (1985): 161P189. OR.
- The Formulation of Chicago's “Little Italies.” in Ira A. Glazier and Luigi De Rosa (eds.) Migration Across Time and Nations. Population Mobility in Historical Contexts. New York, London: Holmes & Meier, 1986: 287–301. [same published earlier in Journal of Ameican Ethnic History 2.2 (1983): 5–20.] IL.
- The Structure of Pluralism: ‘We're all Italian Around Here, Aren't We, Mrs. O'Brien?’” in Richard D. Alba (ed.) Ethnicity and Race in the U.S.A. Toward the Twenty-First Century. London, Boston, Melbourne and Henley: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1985: 94–116. PA. , and
- Ph.D. Dissertations 1976–1985.
- A History of Italian-American Theatre: 1900–1905. City University of New York, 1984 NY.
- The Making and Unmaking of a Myth: Italian American Women and Their Community. City University of New York, 1985 NY.
- Three Generations of Italian American Women in Nassau County, New York 1925–1981. Lehigh University, 1985 NY.
- Education and Occupational Decisions of the Children of Italian and Polish Immigrants to Rome and New York, 1900 to 1950. Cornell University, 1978 NY.
- Ethnic Identity and Self-Esteem in Second and Third Generation Polish and Italian Sixth Grade Children. Columbia University Teachers College, 1985. EAST COAST.
- Conservative Adventurers: Italian Migrants in Italy and San Francisco. Stanford University, 1979 CA.
- From Workshop to Office: Italian Women and Family Strategies in New York City, 1900–1950. University of Michigan, 1978 NY.
- The Assimilation of Ethnic Groups: The Italian Case. Columbia University, 1977 CT.
- I Can Never Go Empty-Handed: Food Exchange and Reciprocity in an Italian-American Community. Temple University, 1984 NORTH EAST.
- Ethnics and Enclaves: The Italian Settlement in the North End of Boston. Boston College, 1980 MA.
- The Dynamics of Neighborhood Defense: A Sociological Account of Greenpoint, Brooklyn. City University of New York, 1985 NY.
- The Varieties of Ethnic Experiences: Kinship, Class and Gender Among Italian-Americans in Northern California. University of California, Berkeley, 1981. CA.
- Immigrant Perspectives on Work and Schooling: Eastern European Jews and Southern Italian, 1880–1920. Stanford University, 1979. UNKNOWN.
- The Meaning of Community: A History of the Italians of San Francisco. University of California, Los Angeles, 1981 CA.
- Recent Italian Immigrants in Queens, New York. City University of New York, 1981 NY.
- Immigrant Women in Industry: A Case Study, The Italian Immigrant Women and the Garment Industry, 1800–1950. New York University, 1979. NY.
- The Italians of Louisiana: Their Cultural Background and their Many Contributions in the Fields of Literature, the Arts, Education, Politics, and Business and Labor. Indiana University, 1978 LA.
- Recent Italian Immigrants in Brooklyn: Their Social World. Rice University, 1977 NY.
- Gaetano Salvemini and the United States. A Study in Italian Antifascism. The Florida State University, 1985 GENERAL.
- Italian Folktales and Italian-American Ethnic Identity. State University of New York at Albany, 1984. NO LOC..
- Some Dimensions of the Immigrant Experience: Italians in Steubenville, Ohio and Weirton, West Virginia, 1900–1930. West Virginia University, 1984. OH-WV.
- Italian and Puerto Rican Male Social Bonds in School, Factory and Community. Rutgers University, 1978. NJ.
- Ethnicity in the Sunbelt: Italian American Migrants in Scottsdale, Arizona. Arizona State University, 1984. AZ.
- Ethnic Bounds in the Work Place: Blacks, Italians, and Jews in New York City. University of Michigan, 1985. NY.
- The Hill Upon the City: An Italo-American Neighborhood in St. Louis, Missouri, 1880–1955. University of North Carolina, 1977. MO.
- Tale of Two Towns: The Social Dynamics of Eureka and Helper. Utah, University of Utah, 1980. UT.
- Effects of Bilingual Home Language Environment on Metalinguistic Ability of Second, Third and Fourth Grade Italian-Background Children. State University of New York at Albany, 1983. NO LOC..
- Electric City Immigrants: Italians and Poles of Schenectady, New York, 1880–1930. State University of New York, Albany, 1984. NY.
- Ethnicity — The Men's Ready-Made Clothing Industry, 1880–1950: The Italian Experience in Philadelphia. University of Pennsylvania, 1978. PA.
- Chambersburg: Its Enculturative Process. Rutgers University, 1977. NJ.
- Ethnic Attitudes and Ethnic Behavior: Italian-Americans in the Rhode Island Suburban Communities. University of Connecticut, 1977. RI.
- Peopling Industrial America: Fromation of Italian and Polish Settlements in the Manufacturing Heartland of the United States, 1880–1930. The Pennsylvania State University, 1979. NORTH EAST.
- The Relationship Between Ethnic Identification and Self Acceptance in Third Generation Italian-Americans. New York University, 1983. NY.
- The Italian-American Community of San Francisco: A Descriptive Study. University of California, Berkeley, 1976. CA.
- Immigrant Voices from Home, Work and Community: Women and Family in me Migration Press, 1890–1938. State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1984. CT.
- Acculturated Drinking Practices and Problem Drinking Among Three Generations of Italians in America. University of California, Berkeley, 1976. CA.
- Remaking Their Lives: Italian and Jewish Immigrant Family, Work and Community in Providence, Rhode Island 1900–1940. Brown University, 1980 RI.
- Yankee, Swedish and Italian Acculturation and Economic Mobility in Jamestown, New York from 1860 to 1920. University of Delaware, 1977. NY.
- The City as a Symbol of International Conflict: Boston's Irish, Italians and Jews, 1935–1944. University of Denver, 1977. MA.
- Michael A. Nusmanno: A Symbolic Leader. Carnegie-Mellon University, 1978. PA.
- The St. Raphael Society for the Protection of Italian Immigrants, 1887–1923. University of Notre, 1977. NY.
- Jews and Italians and the Socialist Party, New York City, 1901–1917. The Union for Experimenting Colleges and Universities, 1977. NY.
- Work Goals and Job Satisfaction: A Cross-Cultural Study of Italian-American, Polish-American and Expatriate Yemeni Nationals. United States International University, 1985. MI.
- Residential Dispersal and the Survival of the Italian Community in Metropolitan Baltimore, 1920–1980. University of Maryland, 1982. MD.
- The Italians of Greenwich Village: The Social Structure and Transformation of an Ethnic Community. New School for Social Research, 1980. NY.
- The Americanization of the Italian-American Immigrants in Omaha, Nebraska. University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 1983. NE.
- Acculturation and the Persistence of Ethnicity in a Northern Italian-American District. University of Chicago, 1981. IL.
- Community, Identity and Schools: Educational Experiences of Italians in San Francisco from the Gold Rust to the Second World War. University of California, Berkeley, 1981. CA.