Partial support for this research was provided by William Patterson College and the Italian/American Institute to Foster Higher Education in New York City. We are grateful to Ceryl LaBate for her assistenace.
Chapter 12: A SOCIOLOGICAL PROFILE OF ITALIAN-AMERICANS IN MEDICAL EDUCATION*
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
1988 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: The Melting Pot and Beyond Italian Americans in the Year 2000
Volume 6, Issue 4, pages 151–164, July 1988
How to Cite
Martorella, R. and Rieker, P. P. (1988), Chapter 12: A SOCIOLOGICAL PROFILE OF ITALIAN-AMERICANS IN MEDICAL EDUCATION. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 6: 151–164. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1988.tb00576.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- The Italian American Woman.” Paper presented at the Eastern Sociological Society. March, 1985. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. and Gwen Moore, “Ethnicity in the American Elite. American Sociological Review 47 (1982): 373–83.
- Association of American Medical Colleges. Directory of Medical Education. Washington, D.C., 1982.
- Boys in White: Student Culture in Medical School. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Transaction Books, 1961. , , , and
- Gender Differences in Stress and Relationships of Medical and Law Students. Journal of Medical Education 61 (1986): 32–40. and
- The Reputations of American Medical Schools. Social Forces 55 (1966): 662–84.
- Italian Americans in New York City: A Demographic Overview.” Paper prepared for the American Italian Historical Association meetings. Washington, D.C. 1984. and
- Applicants for 1978–79 First Year Medical School Class. Datagram 55 (1980): 74–76.
- A Comparison of Medical Students from Medical and Nonmedical Families. Journal of Medical Education 52 (1977): 451–547. and
- The Premed Stereotype. Journal of Medical Education 54 (1979): 308–313. et. al.
- Influence of Social Background in Medical Education. Journal of Medical Education 48 (1973): 45–8.
- Educational Attainment and Educational Values: Italian American Students at Brooklyn College.” Paper prepared for the American Italian Historical Association meetings, Jamaica, New York 1983.
- The Professional Values and Expectations of Medical Students. Journal of Medical Education 53 (1978): 330–6.
- Social Science and Achievement Motivation Among Italian Americans,” in Power and Class: The Italian American Experience Today. Francis X. Feminella, editor (New York: AIHA, 1971).
- Italian Americans as Medical Students and Faculty.” Paper prepared for presentation at the Italian American Institute to Foster High Education Conference, Staten Island, New York 1983.
- Preparation for the Study of Medicine. Chicago, Illinois: University of Chicago Press 1969. and
- The Social Transformation of American Medicine. New York: Basic Books, Inc. 1983.
- Medical Schools Show Big Drop in Minorities. New York Times (March 1, 1982): 81.