I wish to thank Antonio Lauría for sharing his knowledge about Puerto Ricans, and Eleanor Leacock and Louise Meriwether for their editorial suggestions.
THE CARIBBEANIZATION OF NEW YORK CITY AND THE EMERGENCE OF A TRANSNATIONAL SOCIOCULTURAL SYSTEM
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
1989 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Caribbean Life in New York City: Sociocultural Dimensions
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 15–29, January 1989
How to Cite
SUTTON, C. R. (1989), THE CARIBBEANIZATION OF NEW YORK CITY AND THE EMERGENCE OF A TRANSNATIONAL SOCIOCULTURAL SYSTEM. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 7: 15–29. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1989.tb00975.x
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1984 “West Indians and London's Hierarchy of Discrimination.” Ethnic Groups, v.6, pp. 47–64.
- 1986 “The Spirit of Nairobi and the UN Decade for Women.” Special issue of Migration Review; 14(1–2). and , (eds.)
- 1985 Caribbean Immigrants in New York City, A Demographic Summary, October, 1985. New York Department of City Planning, Office of Immigrant Affairs.
- 1986 “Ethnic Orbits: The Circulation of Capitals and Peoples.” In Industry and Idleness. F. Bonilla and R. Campos. NY: Centro de Estudios Puertorriquenos, Hunter College, CUNY. Pp. 61–65.
- 1986 Industry and Idleness. NY: Centro de Estudios Puertorriquenos, Hunter College, CUNY. and
- 1986 “With Respect and Feelings: Voices of West Indian Child Care and Domestic Workers in New York City.” In All American Women: Lines that Divide, Ties that Bind. J. B. Cole, ed. New York: Free Press. Pp. 46–70.
- 1985 “Race and Color: Jamaican Migrants in London and New York City.” IMR 6(4): 708–727.
- 1979 “The Labor Market for Immigrants in New York City,” New York Affairs, (7) 4:94–111.
- 1987 “New York Equalize You: The Political Economy of New York's West Indian Community.” Forthcoming in January issue of New York Affairs..
- 1985 “Rising Islanders of Bed-Stuy: The West Indian Zest to ‘Buy House’ Rejuvenates a Community.” In The New York Times Magazine, Nov. 3. Pp. 67.
- 1984 Women in Migration. Special issue of IMR, 18(4). , (ed.)
- Mortimer, D. M. and R. S. Bryce-Laporte, (eds.), 1981 Female Immigrants to the United States: Caribbean, Latin American, and African Experiences. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, RIIES Occasional Paper No. 2.
- 1976 “Ethnicity and Stratification in the Urban United States.” In Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 318:10–22.
- 1982 “American Racial Ideology as Collective Representation.” Ethnic and Racial Studies, 5(1):99–119.
- 1984 “Economic Survival in New York City.” In The Puerto Rican Struggle: Essays on Survival in the U.S.C. Rodriguez, V. Sanchez Korrol, J. O. Alers, eds. Maplewood, NJ: Waterfront Press. Pp. 31–46.
- 1983 “Caribbean Migration to the United States: Cultural Identity and the Process of Assimilation.” In Different People: Studies in Ethnicity and Education. E. Gumbert, ed. Atlanta, GA.: Center for Cross-Cultural Education, Georgia State University. Pp. 47–73.
- 1985 “Changing Composition and Labor Market Location of Hispanic Immigrants in New York City, 1960–1980.” In Hispanics in the U.S. Economy. G. Borgas and M. Tienda, eds. Orlando, FL: Academic Press.
- 1981 Exporting Capital and Importing labor: The Role of Caribbean Immigrants to New York City. NY: Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, New York University Research Program in Inter-American Affairs. Occasional Paper 28.
- 1986 International Migration: The Female Experience. Totowa, NJ: Rowman and Allanheld. and
- 1983 “Race, Ethnicity and Identity: Some Conceptual Issues in Defining the Black Population in the United States.” Paper delivered at Conference on Immigration and the Changing Black Population in the U.S., Ann Arbor, May 18–21.
- 1975 “Comments on Immigrants and Forms of Group Identity.” In Migration and Development: Implications for Ethnic Identity and Political Conflict. H. I. Safa and B. M. DuToit, eds. The Hague: Mouton Publishers.
- “Caribbean Immigrants in New York City and the Transformation of the Metropolitan Economy.” On file at Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, New York University. .