NEW YORK CITY AND ITS PEOPLE: An Historical Perspective Up to World War II
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
1989 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Caribbean Life in New York City: Sociocultural Dimensions
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 30–50, January 1989
How to Cite
REIMERS, D. M. (1989), NEW YORK CITY AND ITS PEOPLE: An Historical Perspective Up to World War II. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 7: 30–50. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1989.tb00976.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1984 The Rise of New York Port (1815–1860). Boston: Northeastern University Press.
- 1983 Becoming American. New York: The Free Press.
- 1978 Neighbors in Conflict: The Irish, Germans, Jews, and Italians of New York City, 1929–1941. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press.
- 1983 The Huguenots in America: A Refugee People in New World Society. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- 1982 “Changing Education Strategies Among Immigrant Generations: New York Italians in Comparative Perspective.” Journal of Social History, 15(3): 443–466. Spring.
- 1973 Going to America. Garden City: Anchor Books.
- “Just a Little Respect: West Indian Domestic Workers in New York City.” In Enough is Press Enough: Domestic Service in Latin America and the Caribbean. and , eds. In
- 1977 A Ghetto Grows in Brooklyn. New York: New York University Press.
- 1981 The Free Black in Urban America, 1800–1850. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1982 Ethnic Americans: A History of Immigration and Assimilation. New York: Harper and Row. Second Edition. and
- 1975 The Immigrant Church: New York's Irish and German Catholics, 1815–1865. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press.
- 1979 Immigrant Life in New York City: 1825–1863. New York: Octagon Books.
- 1975 Blood of My Blood: The Dilemma of Italian Americans. Garden City: Doubleday.
- 1957 American Judaism. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1963 Beyond the Melting Pot: The Negroes, Puerto Ricans, Jews, Italians, and Irish of New York City. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The M.I.T. Press. Second edition. and
- 1970 New York's Jews and the Quest for Community: The Kehillah Experiment, 1880–1922. New York: Colombia University Press.
- 1979 When Harlem Was Jewish, 1870–1930. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1970 The Great Riots of New York, 1712–1873. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill.
- 1971 The Harlem Renaissance. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1972 A Family Business: Kinship and Social Control in Organized Crime. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- 1960 American Immigration. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1983 Our Gang: Jewish Crime and the New York Jewish Community, 1900–1940. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- 1977 The Golden Door: Italian and Jewish Immigrant Mobility in New York City, 1880–1915. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Klein, M., ed. 1976 New York: The Centennial Years, 1876–1976. Port Washington, New York: Kennikat Press.
- 1974 Bonds of Loyalty. DeKalb: Northern Illinois University Press.
- 1965 La Guardia Comes to Power: 1933. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott.
- 1970 The Colonial American Jew, 1492–1776. Vol. 1. Detroit: Wayne State University Press.
- 1976 The Irish Diaspora in America. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- 1966 A History of Negro Slavery in New York. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press.
- 1971 Poverty in New York, 1783–1825. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1981 At Home in America: Second Generation New York Jews. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 1981 “Kleindeutschland: New York City's Germans, 1845–1880.” Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Columbia University.
- 1976 The Business of Crime: Italians and Syndicate Crime in the United States. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1965 Harlem: The Making of a Ghetto, 1890–1930. New York: Harper and Row.
- 1964 The Promised City: New York's Jews, 1870–1914. New York: Corinth Books.
- 1972 Population History of New York City. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press.
- 1965 Negro Mecca: A History of the Negro in New York City, 1865–1920. New York: New York University Press.
- 1971 Religion and the Rise of the American City: The New York City Mission Movement, 1811–1870. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- 1982 Chinatown: Economic Adaptation and Ethnic Identity of the Chinese. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.